Wish List -- things I really want to see in the Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ssspinball said:
WetEV said:
Dynamic battery balancing.

Why are we assuming the Bolt doesn't balance the cells already? Seems like a rather obvious thing to miss during the design phase.

Why do you assume that WetEV thinks the Bolt doesn't balance the cells? He explained in detail the difference between his desired method (dynamic) and the typically used method (top-balanced). I agree with his conclusion - dynamic balancing sounds like it would extend the life of the pack.

As long as active balancing doesn't waste energy to do something that is not needed.

The alternative you didn't mention is bottom balancing: drain all the cells to the same minimum, and then charge them all equally until the lowest capacity cell is full - and then stop charging. In theory, this is lower capacity, but if the BMS wastes power, then it may be that bottom balancing is better in practice.

I think that LG and GM will have figured this sort of thing out, and they do it the best way they can.

NeilBlanchard said:
As long as active balancing doesn't waste energy to do something that is not needed.

Standard top (or bottom) balancing wastes energy by draining the high cells into resistors, turning the energy into heat.

Dynamic balancing can drain that energy and more into recharging and powering the 12V system, reducing wasted energy and improving capacity.

NeilBlanchard said:
I think that LG and GM will have figured this sort of thing out, and they do it the best way they can.

Maybe, and maybe not.

Another thing I'd like to see in the Bolt: 20kW charger as an option. Sure, I can see why it might cost more. Most people, most of the time, overnight is fast enough.

This would let me take advantage of some of the higher current J1772 charging stations, vastly increasing the places I could go.

Is that a typo? 20 kW is not much. The car supports up to 80 kW stations according to the manual, although all the non-Tesla fast chargers seem to be 50 kW.

CGameProgrammer said:
Is that a typo? 20 kW is not much. The car supports up to 80 kW stations according to the manual, although all the non-Tesla fast chargers seem to be 50 kW.

Not a typo. 20kW AC charging is an option on a Tesla.

Not a DCFC. Charging off a standard AC J1772 at a higher current.

Like this one:

501 3 Ave, Fernie, BC V0B 1M0, Canada

"Charger is a Sun Country CS-90 providing 69A @ 229V and is located on the roundabout in front of City Hall. Charger has a dedicated EV parking stall."

That's 15kW. That would be OK as well. As would 14.4kW, dual of the current Bolt charger.

At least along the I-5 corridor, I'm told the "fast" chargers are only 25kW (which works out to 70-80 miles/hr.) while the Bolt can handle much higher charge rates.

I think WetEV's point was he wanted a 20 kW AC charger for home use, like Tesla offers. He wasn't talking about DCFC. The Tesla HPWC can provide, I believe, up to 240V/80 A which is almost 20 kW

The Tesla HPWC is simply an EVSE...the car in their case, and in the Bolt Case, would need to be equipped with 20 kW internal electronics.

That's a pretty tall order for most residential installs. 100A service to the home is pretty typical for older homes, and 200A is pretty typical for new installs.

Schnort said:
That's a pretty tall order for most residential installs. 100A service to the home is pretty typical for older homes, and 200A is pretty typical for new installs.

Not for home use at least in my case, but rather to use public EVSEs that can provide higher current. Some J1772 public charging stations can supply about 20kW (240V 80A), which is actually 19.2kW.

The key point is the ability to get the internal electronics to pull that much, if available. Like Tesla's "Dual Charger" option, sold as 20kW.

CGameProgrammer said:
As he replied, he's talking about AC chargers, not DC fast chargers. There are a lot more AC chargers out there, so it may work out better than having to drive out of your way (or beyond your range) to get to a DC charger.

LeftieBiker said:
Wow, am I really the first to offer "Comfortable seats"?! I guess this forum isn't that active.

A really large person might not like them, but for everyone else, the seats are fine, actually.

roundpeg said:
LeftieBiker said:
Wow, am I really the first to offer "Comfortable seats"?! I guess this forum isn't that active.

A really large person might not like them, but for everyone else, the seats are fine, actually.

From what I'm reading, the seats are fine for most smaller and some medium sized people, and poor for other medium sized and most larger folks. Unless that's what GM intended, it's a pretty bad design glitch. It isn't as if they have optional "comfortable" seats.

LeftieBiker said:
From what I'm reading, the seats are fine for most smaller and some medium sized people, and poor for other medium sized and most larger folks. Unless that's what GM intended, it's a pretty bad design glitch. It isn't as if they have optional "comfortable" seats.

I guess it depends on what you call small, medium, and large. The only way for any person to judge is to sit in them.

That's true. I'm predicting the likely results of sitting in those seats, not telling people not to look at the car if they are larger than low average.

An easy to get to SOC (State Of Charge) display.

State of charge in percentage(OK) or in kWh(better) or both(best). Sometimes the range just doesn't matter. I need to know the amount of energy left. How full is the battery?

Suppose I'm going to be driving up a mountain pass or summit road. I'd like to do my own range estimate, because I'm fairly sure that the GOM isn't even going to be close. How do I do this without an SOC display?

Suppose I'm camping, and want to run some accessories for a while. Perhaps I have a tent that attaches to the car, and I'm running the AC overnight as it is hot and sticky. Should be lots of hours, as the AC probably doesn't use more than 1.5kW. Or even the heat. How long can I run the heat?

Back