Yet Another Comparison: Bolt vs BMW i3 vs Tesla Model s

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both cars and agree that it's pointless to compare the two, they have different applications. For my daily use I prefer driving the Bolt. The Model S is relegated to the wife, who constantly complains that it's too big. For the occasional outing with friends, or the run at the drag strip I take the Model S.

oilerlord said:
...the Bolt isn't a Tesla Model S by any stretch of the imagination. They are both utilize electric powertrains, and are indeed cars, but that's where the similarities end. In the gasoline world, comparing a Bolt with a Model S is like comparing a Chevy Sonic with an Audi S7. They are that dissimilar.
This will become more obvious when we have a wider selection of EVs with similar or longer ranges. But right now it's kind of like the only two cars on the road are the Sonic and the S7. In those circumstances you really can't help but to compare them.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
...the Bolt isn't a Tesla Model S by any stretch of the imagination. They are both utilize electric powertrains, and are indeed cars, but that's where the similarities end. In the gasoline world, comparing a Bolt with a Model S is like comparing a Chevy Sonic with an Audi S7. They are that dissimilar.
This will become more obvious when we have a wider selection of EVs with similar or longer ranges. But right now it's kind of like the only two cars on the road are the Sonic and the S7. In those circumstances you really can't help but to compare them.

Exactly. And this is why I shake my head whenever people poo-poo any upcoming EV (like the 2018 Leaf, or VW's upcoming line of EVs, or the near-future electric BMW 3-series). "It's not a Tesla!" "They are too late!" "The Model 3 has already beaten them!" We need them all.

Everyone on this forum is presumably at least in some way interested in EVs. Yet we all have a different "ideal" vehicle. In some cases, we have multiple "ideal" vehicles. I would rather have one vehicle that's a comfortable family / stuff hauler and another vehicle that is fun, sporty, and fast. Rather than having a single vehicle that tries to be both.

GetOffYourGas said:
Exactly. And this is why I shake my head whenever people poo-poo any upcoming EV (like the 2018 Leaf, or VW's upcoming line of EVs, or the near-future electric BMW 3-series). "It's not a Tesla!" "They are too late!" "The Model 3 has already beaten them!" We need them all.

Is the Sonic amazing? The Bolt is considered amazing by some - but is that only because it's an EV? When it comes down to it....I look at the Bolt for what it is: A slightly larger Sonic that happens to be electric but at twice the price. Based on lackluster sales, I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

At some point, we'll start raising the bar higher.

I figured before the flames start heading my way that I'd mention that I don't consider my Mercedes B250e "amazing" either. It's simply an EV at the price I was willing to pay, with a level of comfort I expect in a car, while being large enough to carry our stuff and with the fewest compromises I was prepared to live with.

oilerlord said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Is the Sonic amazing? The Bolt is considered amazing by some - but is that only because it's an EV? When it comes down to it....I look at the Bolt for what it is: A slightly larger Sonic that happens to be electric but at twice the price. Based on lackluster sales, I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

At some point, we'll start raising the bar higher.

Is the Sonic amazing? Meh. But that's irrelevant. Is the Bolt worth $30k? To some, yes it is. "Happens to be electric" comes with many benefits - instant torque, convenient home refueling, cheaper fueling and maintenance to name a few. And notice I didn't once mention the external or societal benefits of a Bolt over a Sonic.

alevek said:
Exactly, just like the Tesla Model S.

If a Model S AWD version was equipped with a 400-hp V6 engine - it would be a very close competitor to an Audi S7 in terms of size, luxury, performance, and ride. With that in mind, if the Bolt had a 140-hp 4-cylinder engine, it would be a very close competitor to a Chevy Sonic in terms of size, luxury, performance, and ride.

The point is, while it's fun to compare the Bolt with a Model S in terms of both being electric cars, it's an otherwise ridiculous comparison.

oilerlord said:
alevek said:
Exactly, just like the Tesla Model S.

If a Model S AWD version was equipped with a 400-hp V6 engine - it would be a very close competitor to an Audi S7 in terms of size, luxury, performance, and ride. With that in mind, if the Bolt had a 140-hp 4-cylinder engine, it would be a very close competitor to a Chevy Sonic in terms of size, luxury, performance, and ride.

The point is, while it's fun to compare the Bolt with a Model S in terms of both being electric cars, it's an otherwise ridiculous comparison.

In case you didn't notice, the Bolt has a 150kW motor with 266 ft-lbs of torque . So the proper comparison would be a 200-hp V6 engine. The only things in your list that the Sonic would compare on are size and luxury. But as you know, just having an electric motor is more luxurious a drive than a V6 gas engine due to improved NVH, so really we're down to size. Even the interior is better than a sonic with better features and a huge touchscreen.

The same nonsensical "arguments" were made when the Leaf first came out. "It's a Versa, but twice as expensive".

Any posts or posters who attempt to make an analogy between the Sonic and the Bolt are best ignored.

I do agree that the Bolt/i3 comparison is valid, but the Model S is not in that category. It's a different car aimed at a different customer. There are very few that struggle with "Should I get a Bolt, or a Model S?"

There are those, however, who consider "should I get a new Bolt or a used Model S". The two fall into a similar enough price range to be compared, particularly for those interested in an EV for an EV's sake. But otherwise, they are two totally different beasts. Like "should I get a new Sonic or a used Audi". Just to cross the wires on this conversation ;)

GetOffYourGas said:
In case you didn't notice, the Bolt has a 150kW motor with 266 ft-lbs of torque . So the proper comparison would be a 200-hp V6 engine. The only things in your list that the Sonic would compare on are size and luxury. But as you know, just having an electric motor is more luxurious a drive than a V6 gas engine due to improved NVH, so really we're down to size. Even the interior is better than a sonic with better features and a huge touchscreen.

Fair enough, Brian. In regards to a comparison, we should refer to the Bolt as a Sonic "RS". My bad.

To me, a motor / engine has little to do with luxury but more about performance and/or fuel economy (or lack of it). Along with a car's cachet, luxury (at least to me) is about the quality of materials used, and how a car feels. Aside from the somewhat controversial seats, there is a huge amount of hard plastic inside a Bolt. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, only that it normal to find hard-touch materials in economy / budget cars - like a Sonic.

dandrewk said:
I do agree that the Bolt/i3 comparison is valid, but the Model S is not in that category. It's a different car aimed at a different customer. There are very few that struggle with "Should I get a Bolt, or a Model S?"

This is essentially what I've been stating all along. I'm glad we finally agree on something.

oilerlord said:
So really then, it's the electric that is amazing. The rest of the car...not so much.
The electric is a big part of it. But I just did a brief test drive of a Leaf and a Bolt one after another and I gotta say that not all electric cars are created equal.

GetOffYourGas said:
There are those, however, who consider "should I get a new Bolt or a used Model S". The two fall into a similar enough price range to be compared, particularly for those interested in an EV for an EV's sake. But otherwise, they are two totally different beasts.

Agree, we looked at used Model S's for the same money as the new Bolt Premier, but we didn't need or want a large luxury sedan. We did need and want a small, nimble, errand/urban car with enough battery capacity to take 'range anxiety' off the list. Otherwise, we'd probably have opted for a 2014 lease return i3; to us, that is the current cost/value leader.

jack vines

Back