ScooterCT

Is Chevy investigating seat complaints?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 am

This is for Chevy only, please. No need for other forum comments - we already have tons of seat threads.

A few of us have sat in multiple Bolts at auto shows, dealers, etc, and have had inconsistent experiences. I've personally sat in one Bolt that had the best seat ever, and one that had the worst seat ever. Inexplicable.

Is Chevrolet aware of the wide range of customer seat reactions, and also apparent inconsistency in seat consistency between individual Bolts? Can we hope for production changes anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for answering Chevy! The Bolt is a real shot across the EV bow to all other makers. Can't wait to see it mature and other products on that platform arrive.

ChevyCustomerCare

Re: Is Chevy investigating seat complaints?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:39 pm

ScooterCT wrote:This is for Chevy only, please. No need for other forum comments - we already have tons of seat threads.

A few of us have sat in multiple Bolts at auto shows, dealers, etc, and have had inconsistent experiences. I've personally sat in one Bolt that had the best seat ever, and one that had the worst seat ever. Inexplicable.

Is Chevrolet aware of the wide range of customer seat reactions, and also apparent inconsistency in seat consistency between individual Bolts? Can we hope for production changes anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for answering Chevy! The Bolt is a real shot across the EV bow to all other makers. Can't wait to see it mature and other products on that platform arrive.

Thanks for reaching out, ScooterCT! At this time, we recommend reaching that customers connect with their selling dealerships, if they are dissatisfied with the seat comfort in their Bolt. We can do some vehicle inspections and proceed accordingly at that point.

We always appreciate customer input, and I've made sure to pass along your seat comments to our internal development teams. The only way we can help better the Bolt is with feedback like yours. Please let us know if you have further questions or concerns in this regard.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

flamaest

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 pm

I know you said CHEVY only, but I just got a call from Chevy on 3/10/17 and I was on the phone with their excellent customer care folks for over an hour, in part to discuss the front seats. I don't know if they are gonna do anything, but the looming nationwide roll-out will make this issue blowup IMHO.

They are the worst seats ever.

dan2112

Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:08 am

How did you initiate the conversation - here or at a local dealer. I have filled out the survey Chevy sent me and wondering if anybody cared.. Called them the worse seats ever and gave them a "1" on the front seats.
2017 Bolt Premier in Nightfall Grey

ChevyCustomerCare

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:13 pm

dan2112 wrote:How did you initiate the conversation - here or at a local dealer. I have filled out the survey Chevy sent me and wondering if anybody cared.. Called them the worse seats ever and gave them a "1" on the front seats.

We definitely care, dan2112! If you haven't been contacted yet in regards to your seat concerns or the survey you sent in, please feel free to follow up with me personally. I can be reached over this forum via private message or via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care
We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and socialmedia@gm.com.

Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy.

dan2112

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 pm

PM Sent
2017 Bolt Premier in Nightfall Grey

Zago

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

3 months and 5300 miles later and I have not received a single call or a mail survey about my car from the dealer, so yeah I also think they do not care! mean time when I get asked about how I like the car from potential buyers, my first complain is "how much the seats hurt" !!!!!

Consumers are getting the information about the Bolt likes and dislikes directly from buyers like myself.

How is that for customer awareness Chevy?

NaCl

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 pm

I can certainly attest to Chevy/dealership not appearing to care one iota about the seat issue. I have complained on numerous occasions to my dealership and all I got was "Sorry. Hehe, there's nothing I can do about that." If Chevy/GM cared, there would have been recall, or the like, notices to get them replaced.

I know of a few people that have had to either get their seat re-stuffed, purchase special seat cushions, or the like. I went a bit further than merely adding additional foam/re-stuffing wrt to my own resolution. Look here -> http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/162-chevy-bolt-ev-likes-dislikes/6506-front-seats-ouch-11.html#post99194 and the next 2 posts from me on that same page. I include a writeup of what was done and photos. The idea of having to spend an additional $700 US to make a seat in a $44K car _merely_ _tolerable_ is pretty poor form.

Note that what I did does _nothing_ for the back rest. The upholsterer that did the work on the bottom of the seat commented that he'd never seen a more poorly designed seat wrt comfort. He mentioned they couldn't touch the back bolsters because of the airbags since it would potentially negatively impact their deployment. So, while I can, _now_, tolerate the glute/thigh/hamstring experience, I'm now left with choosing which back-side of my ribcage gets tortured upon each driving session.

I would _LOVE_ to talk to the 'engineers' that a) designed the seats and/or b) approved their use. This individual(s) must possess the stature of a 10 year old girl or never sat in the thing. :x

Unless/until Chevy/GM fix make this right, it sickens me at the realization that I have wasted $44K. :cry: Or however much depreciation I will have to bend over for, when the 2018 LEAF shows up and I have to trade the Bolt in on that. :evil:

EDITED: Punctuation and corrected 'not' to 'now' regarding the which side of ribcage to be tortured.
Last edited by NaCl on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posatronic

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:03 pm

NaCl wrote:I can certainly attest to Chevy/dealership not appearing to care one iota about the seat issue. I have complained on numerous occasions to my dealership and all I got was "Sorry. Hehe, there's nothing I can do about that." If Chevy/GM cared, there would have been recall, or the like, notices to get them replaced.

I know of a few people that have had to either get their seat re-stuffed, purchase, special seat cushions or the like. I went a bit further than merely adding additional foam/re-stuffing wrt to my own resolution. Look here -> http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/162-chevy-bolt-ev-likes-dislikes/6506-front-seats-ouch-11.html#post99194 and the next 2 posts from me on that same page. I include a writeup of what was done and photos. The idea of having to spend an additional $700 US to make a seat in a $44K car _merely_ _tolerable_ is pretty poor form.

Note that what I did does _nothing_ for the back rest. The upholsterer that did the work on the bottom of the seat commented that he'd never seen a more poorly designed seat wrt comfort. He mentioned they couldn't touch the back bolsters because of the airbags since it would potentially negatively impact their deployment. So, while I can, _now_, tolerate the glute/thigh/hamstring experience, I'm not left with choosing which back-side of my ribcage gets tortured upon each driving session.

I would _LOVE_ to talk to the 'engineers' that a) designed the seats and/or b) approved their use. This individual(s) must possess the stature of a 10 year old girl or never sat in the thing. :x

Unless/until Chevy/GM fix make this right, it sickens me at the realization that I have wasted $44K. :cry: Or however much depreciation I will have to bend over for, when the 2018 LEAF shows up and I have to trade the Bolt in on that. :evil:

Unless it's a safety issue they will never issue a recall. In fact the have non-safety recalls that they don't inform you. You have to discover on your own. The seats are not a Safty issue. They are an issue for many people. The only thing that will happen will be a redesign . I believe they know that a lot of people don't like them. They will have to change them. But please stop saying they will recall them. That will NEVER happen.
2017 Bolt EV
2008 Prius
1991 Lumina Euro sport
1992 Saturn SL2
2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
1997 Mazda Miata
1988 Olds Calais
1977 Plymouth Valera (drive not own)
1985 Silverado (drive not own)
1967 Mustang (drive not own)

LeftieBiker

Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 pm

Someone posted a photo of him a while back, and he's built like a 3/4 scale adult male with mild anorexia. As for a "recall" just start asking for a "TSB" instead. That could happen. Someone complains about the seat and they fix it. No complaint, no repair.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Return to “Technical Discussions”