Dammit! Is my Bolt a lemon?!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, very few reports so far which is good.

Pigwich, please keep us in the loop on your progress. Nobody likes to have a NEW car with problems and so I feel you pain.

flamaest said:
I would not feel confident in their underpaid stealership techie fixing this properly.

This is funny, since I actually asked the service manager what they paid the technicians. $36 an hour is the going rate, but it's by the hours that the job is supposed to take, so if the AC compressor is a 3 hour job, they get paid for all three hours, even if they do it in an hour (or four)

This was after I asked the manager
"Well, did anybody do the unthinkable and put a voltmeter on the power input of the compressor?"
to which he replied
"Yeah. Nobody thinks like that."

He's an old guy who's seen it all, back when that was the kind of thinking you HAD to do.

Stay tuned, I have a mountain of paperwork to scan in....

Got my car back - Supposedly a faulty compressor - and so far so good!

report.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the full report, but it's what they handed me. I'm sure I could get everything if I asked, but it was friday night and everybody was trying to go home.

invoice.jpg

So that's that. Gonna try to take it to Joshua Tree next weekend. Wish me luck!

Pigwich said:
One of the things they were probably worried about was why the compressor failed. If there was some sort of wiring issue, for example, it may be that simply installing a new compressor would cause it to fail the same way. So they probably wanted to rule out those other possibilities before installing a new one. And the end result may have just been that the original compressor was bad or marginal to begin with.

Speculation on my part, but it seems plausible.

Pigwich said:

I'm not sure if this is the full report, but it's what they handed me. I'm sure I could get everything if I asked, but it was friday night and everybody was trying to go home.

View attachment 1

The report is regurgitated and written by the SA. They leave out a lot of data :p

Adding some washer fluid today, noticed the technicians left the caps off the AC service valves, but were nice enough to have left them in the wiper tray :) No harm, no foul.

Pigwich said:
Adding some washer fluid today, noticed the technicians left the caps off the AC service valves, but were nice enough to have left them in the wiper tray :) No harm, no foul.

Call your dealer, and talk to the head person in the dealership AND the service dept. That is simply inexcusable from a service dept.

Pigwich said:

I'm glad you got your car back. It stinks when a brand new car has issues. But with such new technology, it is bound to happen.

Sounds like a fun trip, do share details (maybe in a new thread). I've only been to Joshua Tree once, but it was a cool place to explore.

Pigwich said:

View attachment 1

Hi Pigwich,

We're so glad to hear that this situation has been taken care of! Please know that should you encounter any new/additional vehicle concerns moving forward, our team is here to help. We can be reached via private message on this forum, or at [email protected]. We know that new vehicle ownership can sometimes be tricky, and we want you to know that you have a support team here with us.

Best Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
We're so glad to hear that this situation has been taken care of! Please know that should you encounter any new/additional vehicle concerns moving forward, our team is here to help. We can be reached via private message on this forum, or at [email protected]. We know that new vehicle ownership can sometimes be tricky, and we want you to know that you have a support team here with us.

Best Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Amber,

Thanks for the well wishes. Things are going great with the car, and the dealership was very professional (save for misplacing the service valve caps, I've done worse things) I was honestly expecting some hiccups. It's a thing with early adopters, and everybody says "Never buy the first model year!!" but I'm pleased with the purchase. It's a nice, natural transition from the Spark EV. When my lease is up, I would definitely consider another Bolt EV. But who knows how many 100% EV offerings GM will have by that time? Maybe a killer minivan with a 4.9 second 0-60? Your cars are shaping up to be real contenders in the small but rapidly growing segment. Don't stop, or somebody else will take it from you.

Andy

Our Bolt also spend five days in the shop a couple of weeks ago for what appears to be a similar problem. There was another report in reddit. The car was complaining that the heater required service. So, we got it in. They reset the heater and run it through three discharge cycles without any issues. Frankly, the heater was working fine. I suspect it threw the error code because we were running the heater full blast with the window open when the dealer sales person was showing us the controls.

I've got a different problem: Lane Keep Assist isn't working at all. I hit the button on the steering wheel to turn it on and all I get is a message on the DIC that says "Lane Keep Assist System Unavailable". The Lane Departure Warning system doesn't work as well. Dealership can't find any trouble codes. They have to talk to the engineers in Michigan to figure out what to do next.

The LKA camera is behind the rear view mirror. Is the camera in anyway blocked or hindered? A dirty windshield could cause this issue.

dandrewk said:
The LKA camera is behind the rear view mirror. Is the camera in anyway blocked or hindered? A dirty windshield could cause this issue.
Doesn't appear to be. When I have the car in drive or reverse, the surround view system seems to be functioning fine, and the following distance indicator is working correctly.

This isn't the same camera/sensor for surround or forward view - that one is near the Chevy emblem on the front. The LKA camera is on the back side of the rear view mirror. If the windshield gets dirty, of if there is anything blocking that sensor, it won't work.

In any case, it can't hurt to clean that lens with a lens cloth and make sure the windshield is spotless. Sometimes a large water mark can hide there where you can't see it.

dandrewk said:
This isn't the same camera/sensor for surround or forward view - that one is near the Chevy emblem on the front. The LKA camera is on the back side of the rear view mirror. If the windshield gets dirty, of if there is anything blocking that sensor, it won't work.

In any case, it can't hurt to clean that lens with a lens cloth and make sure the windshield is spotless. Sometimes a large water mark can hide there where you can't see it.
Windshield appears to be clean and pristine (we've had lots of rain to wash off the windshield, and today is a sunny clear day). The diagnostics that the mechanic ran didn't indicate that the camera sub-system was working improperly or not communicating. We'll see what Detroit has to say.

안녕하세요. 저는 2017년에 한국에서 제작한 볼트의 오너입니다.
2017년 P0D6B 오류로 인한 DTC. AC 압축기가 작동하지 않는지 확인에 대해 질문이 있습니다.
현재 AC 압축기를 교체하고 퓨즈와 저항을 검사했지만 단락의 흔적은 보이지 않습니다.
어떻게 해결하셨나요? 혹시 모르신다면 기술팀에 어떻게 해결하셨는지 알려주실 수 있나요?
나는 영어를 잘하지 못합니다. 난 당신이 이해 바랍니다.

Back