Apple's Woz likes Chevy Bolt EV better than Tesla Model 3, he says

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmYK

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak (a.k.a. "Woz") certainly likes his green cars.

Over the years, he's owned a Toyota Prius hybrid and a Tesla Model S electric luxury sedan.

But now, it seems, Woz has found himself a new favorite plug-in vehicle.

After getting a ride in the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV from a member of the car's development team, Woz came away impressed.

"I expect to be switching cars soon," he declared in a Facebook post, accompanied by a photo of him giving a thumbs up next to a white Bolt EV.

Addressing comments on the photo, Woz added that "Tesla will have a difficult time selling me a Model 3," and that the Chevy could potentially replace his Model S.
He said that many things that were "wrong" about the Tesla Model S "are done correctly (in my opinion)" in the Bolt EV.

In particular, Woz seemed impressed with the layout of the Bolt EV's interior, praising its "functionality."

Woz also noted that he was primarily interested in the Model S for its range, not the array of tech and luxury features that figure into that car's substantially higher base price alongside a large battery pack.

He said he purchased the Model S because no electric car available at the time could handle long road trips, in his judgment.
That's what makes the Bolt EV, which boasts a 200-mile range and a base price of $37,500 before Federal, state, and local incentives, such an important new model for the electric-car segment.

It will bring a 200-mile range to the mass market long before the Tesla Model 3, which will have an identical range and a base price of $35,000 before incentives.

Tesla doesn't plan to begin Model 3 production until the second half of 2017, and the company has missed every one of its deadlines for car launches so far.

The Bolt EV, on the other hand, entered pilot production at General Motors' Orion Assembly plant in Michigan back in March.

GM has said the car will go on sale before the end of this year.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...evy-bolt-ev-better-than-tesla-model-3-he-says

Does that mean he'll target Chevy Bolt instead of Tesla Model 3 as a competition to the Apple EV they're making?

mark111 said:
Does that mean he'll target Chevy Bolt instead of Tesla Model 3 as a competition to the Apple EV they're making?

No apple EV that was debunked a few weeks ago in the paper

The "Apple Car" project never really existed, if you ask me, and I am a big time follower of Apple news and rumors. They've been working on automotive-related tech for many years (namely, CarPlay). The rumor mill got hold of shreds of evidence that the company is expanding their efforts in automotive tech, and quickly that morphed into "they must be building an Apple-branded car." The actual evidence for it was in reality, approximately nil. So now the rumor mill says they have "stopped" a project that likely never existed in the first place.

roundpeg said:
The "Apple Car" project never really existed, if you ask me, and I am a big time follower of Apple news and rumors. They've been working on automotive-related tech for many years (namely, CarPlay). The rumor mill got hold of shreds of evidence that the company is expanding their efforts in automotive tech, and quickly that morphed into "they must be building an Apple-branded car." The actual evidence for it was in reality, approximately nil. So now the rumor mill says they have "stopped" a project that likely never existed in the first place.
That was my take on it too. I do suspect, however, that they are working on more integrated systems than CarPlay. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are working on an autopilot system, for example. Or maybe something else that I (and the rumor mill) haven't thought of yet.

GetOffYourGas said:
That was my take on it too. I do suspect, however, that they are working on more integrated systems than CarPlay. I wouldn't be surprised to find out they are working on an autopilot system, for example. Or maybe something else that I (and the rumor mill) haven't thought of yet.

Quite likely. The rumor mill has thought of some of those possibilities too. Apple is investing heavily in augmented reality so they are probably looking for implementation opportunities in a variety applications.

Back