sam

The Chevy Bolt Requires Little Maintenance

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Not only do electric vehicles cost literally cents per kilometre to drive, but they also revolutionise car servicing. The maintenance schedule for Chevrolet's soon to be launched Bolt electric hatchback comprises tire rotation every 12,000 km (7,500 miles) and that's about it until a coolant system flush @ 240,000 km (150,000 miles). If every set of new tires fitted includes an accurate wheel alignment then rotation can be skipped which means the Bolt requires practically zero maintenance.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg. What goes unsaid is that in EV applications electric motors practically last forever. The international standard for rating motor insulation is based on a half life of 20,000 hours. For every 10c increase in insulation rating life expectancy doubles. ...

Full article http://www.electric-vehiclenews.com/

JupiterMoon

Re: They Chevy Bolt Requires Zero Maintenance

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 pm

This is what I love about EVs....I can't stand driving a regular car anymore. No hassles, no maintenance, no gas, no headaches.

Tessy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 am

I'm starting to see that too. No maintenance

Michael1

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:50 am

Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

Things that need to be maintained:
tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
door, hood, and trunk hinge lubrication
light bulbs
shock absorbers
brake pads (inspection as a minimum)
paint finish polish
interior and exterior cleaning
passenger compartment air filter
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

oilerlord

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:37 am

My Mercedes EV burst a hose that leads from the washer fluid reservoir to the rear window. It probably froze because the washer fluid that the dealer supplied wasn't rated for the -6F temperature we had a few days ago. Not covered under warranty because I imported the car from the US, and MB Canada doesn't recognize the US warranty.

My "zero maintenance" EV cost me $312 today.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

JupiterMoon

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 am

Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

There is no such thing as a zero maintenance car. Low maintenance. Yes. Zero. No.

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

Because you have to consider it as a comparison to a regular car. The biggest gripes people have are oil changes and filling fuel.

Light bulbs? Really?

GetOffYourGas

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Michael1 wrote:Why do EV people insist on writing this kind of nonsense? It's just ruins the credibility of EV people. Then the public views EV people as "nuts".

tire balance
tire rotation
tire replacement
windshield wipers
wiper fluid level
light bulbs
shock absorbers
paint finish polish
brake fluid change
wheel alignment

and the list goes on.

While I would never claim that EVs are "zero" maintenance, they are certainly "low" maintenance. This list is just digging at any little thing. You are basically going to the opposite extreme here.

Things I have NEVER had to touch, that you list as regular maintenance items:
light bulbs
shock absorbers

Then there are these:
paint finish polish (wax?)

You think that washing your car needs to be spelled out?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+

DucRider

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:41 pm

I guess to be correct, the thread should be call out "Scheduled Maintenance". Things that occur at a set mileage or time period like oil changes, spark plugs, timing belts, etc.

Replacement of wear items like tires and wiper blades (and light bulbs) will never be on the schedule.

Repair of a broken part is just that - repair (not maintenance). Washing, cleaning and waxing? - in reality optional and a matter of personal preference as to frequency and thoroughness.
Gary

2014 Honda Fit EV - lease ends Jan 2019

oilerlord

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:46 pm

As with all forum debates, the truth is found somewhere in the middle. This also comes up a lot on EV forums:

"With solar panels, you can charge your car for free" It's a misleading half-truth that is supposed to invoke "Wow, that's cool", and "Sign me up", but that's when the reality of the expense of PV modules, inverters, racking, wiring, installation, and permits sets in. If I buy $150 of diesel, I can drive my other car from Arizona to Alberta for "free" too.

Even though an electric motor is an order of magnitude less complex and more reliable than any combustion engine, that isn't necessarily the case for the rest of the car. They are cars. S-happens. There is very little maintenance involved but people should be aware that the most expensive part of the car - the main traction battery - does require some level of care & attention.

I think Michael got a little twitchy because he's heard the "Zero Maintenance" misnomer one too many times. That happens to me too.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”