I Drove Bolt Today...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The locations of controls seems academic to me, after all when I rent a car it take a day or so to figure out where everything is, why should it be different for a brand new car.

The seat issue is interesting, It did not bother me in my test drive one bit. I have to admit though I was far more interested in how the car drove. But now alerted I will check them out more closely, on my next test drive.

oilerlord said:
I didn't call it a "geeky hatchback" - Car & Driver reviewers did.
Well of course - that's why I quoted your text referring to the Car & Driver article. I wasn't complaining about you making those comments, I was grumbling about the frequency with which I hear them from various sources. There seems to be a bunch of "style over utility" people who don't want to admit that a substantial portion of the market is interested in "utility over style". The popularity of trucks and SUVs in the market shows that to be the case.

News flash, Sean: GM is competing in the same market segment as the Tesla Model 3.
Because they both have similar cost and range and because are the two most important attributes for an EV, they are obviously in their own market space that nobody else is occupying right now. But within that space, one is aimed at people interested in utility, and the other one is aimed at people interested in style. Why would GM want to compete in the style space when Tesla is already there? Much easier for them to sell cars in the utility portion of the 200+ mile/$30-40,000 EV market where Tesla doesn't compete.

iletric said:
"Shit," thought I. Immediately started looking for the lock/unlock button. It was impossible to find (see review).
After about 10 frantic seconds, knowing there HAD TO BE a lock/unlock button I located it tucked away, thank you GM, on that most unusual place on the door panel, and unlocked the door for my precious wife. She seemed okay. No drama, no trauma. Totally fine. I promise.
Manufacturers put the door lock/unlock switch in a variety of places. In my wife's Mini Countryman, it's on the dashboard panel in the center stack below the Nav screen display. Other cars we have had have had them in the same place as the Bolt while some were on the arm rest of the door (various Prii, Highlander).

There's no set place, though I do agree on the armrest panel by the window controls is the one we're most used to. However, the odd placement of the door lock/unlock switches in the Bolt is such a minor factor that it shouldn't necessarily eliminate a car from consideration.

leodoggie said:
The locations of controls seems academic to me, after all when I rent a car it take a day or so to figure out where everything is, why should it be different for a brand new car.

The seat issue is interesting, It did not bother me in my test drive one bit. I have to admit though I was far more interested in how the car drove. But now alerted I will check them out more closely, on my next test drive.

True, but I've also seen some really poor ergonomic choices. A lot of people hated the toggle switch bank on the earlier Minis. They are a bit of an ergonomic nightmare but hardly something that doesn't work well enough once you get accustomed to them. I would not let Chevy off the hook if they've messed it up on the Bolt (any more than I do with some of BMW's more puzzling design decisions).

GetOffYourGas said:
ScooterCT said:
Oh, and the comments on him essentially being a Neanderthal because he didn't open the door. Any proper feminist would slap those commentators silly. It's incredibly sexist to treat women like they can't open a car door for themselves. It's a sexist attitude, not a gentlemanly affectation. Repeat and learn. Women are absolutely equal to men. They're not delicate little creatures that need you to open a door for them. Oh, and they vote now too, just in case you guys didn't catch that in the news.

Really? It's sexist to go out of your way to help your wife? Any woman who is offended by this has some serious insecurities she needs to work on. This is an act of a man serving a woman. Tell me again how that implies that women are not equal to men? You can't because it doesn't.

Lol...I wrote that and I'm a chick. And an engineer. Fairly feminist too. But I don't have anything against a gentleman treating a lady like a lady. I don't expect it, but when it happens, it is lovely. Yup...totally off topic. Guilty as charged.

I am delighted and thankful that everyone is posting their test drive impressions, good or bad. I used to place a great deal of faith in the professional car press, often finding my own impressions in rough alignment with what I had read, particularly wherever the professional reviews seemed to find common ground. That was BEFORE I read all the rave reviews on the Mk7 GTI and then test drove it, in multiple iteractions.....six times. Incongruous doesn't even begin to describe my discombobulation. I have devoted considerable electrons to torching the Mk7 GTI, which the automative press loved then and still claim among the world's best cars and feel no need here to re-describe my apathy about the car. Suffice it to say that the gap between what I read and what I felt was too large for my tiny brain to span.

So the butt reviews posted here are wonderful. I agree with the earlier poster that what potential buyers say after a test drive that causes them alarm is something I definitely look at when I drive. Bad seats? Oh yeah. I'll be paying a fair bit of attention to those. Squirrelly tires? Likewise - assuming I get the chance. Turn signals in the bumper anyone? That too.

Keep the test drive impressions coming everyone. People are watching and paying very close attention.

This one should be entitled "I went to look at Volt today." We did and found out Volt is not for us. It's actually a giant 2+2 I'd not want to take to Costco parking lot. I could not believe how I disliked this car. Sorry...

So we lingered and decided we had no choice but to give Bolt another spin.

This time my wife drove and I rode shotgun. And we fiddled a little more with AC/Heat, and that shifter. Yes there is an climate control OFF button, it's at the bottom of the info screen. There is a band that has, among the rest, AC/Heat as a combined button. Being combined, it basically operates according to temp setting. Cold shuts of the heat, heat hopefully continues with AC on to condition the air. It was quite effective in heating up the cabin rapidly. My only gripe is that on/off for all climate settings is a light button indicator the SIZE OF A PINHEAD. Really smart, GM. The options for this on/off indicator light were endless and this is what your programmers (bunch of kids, you know) chose as the best alternative? Awful. You have to look twice to see what's on or off. I swear.

P to D or L requires pushing that left knob on the shifter. So the only free movement of the shifter is D and L and that is all, folks. I do suggest to all of you to drive the old Leaf just to see the embodiment of "keep it simple stupid." GM, you're listening? I hope so. Now, what I find super entertaining is the fact this is an "improvement" from Spark EV which was an emulation of an ICE shifter. Maybe they'll get it right with Bolt 2 2022. Can't wait.

As far as that road noise, I'm rating it average. Mercedes it is not, but who wants Mercedes? I don't. It's a money pit, VW being on the top of the wretched heap and BMW in the middle.

But I digressed...

We have decided that since there is nothing else out there until Leaf 2 year from now, we're going for it. My petite wife fits in that seat, it has the range, (she is sick of Soul having 78 miles cold range right now), range being obviously Bolt's biggest and most important attribute. I expect pretty decent resale value as well.

Will should get it in a week. Or so I hope.

Tire grip does not worry me because tires are easily replaced (except on the BMW i3 with its extremely unusual wheel size). Stock tires on all fuel-efficient or electric cars are ultra-low rolling-resistance tires but they are usually best replaced with something more versatile. A grippier tire not only results in better handling but also usually less road noise.

Thanks for sharing the follow up. It sounds like the annoyances you mentioned the first time aren't enough to dissuade you from considering the car.

I can't wait to test drive a Bolt. My biggest concerns are how high it rides, how cavernous it may feel (highly subjective - I prefer my cars to fit like a glove, realizing I'm in the minority there), and how it handles in the corners.

I doubt I'm going to be so inspired by the car that I'll get one today. I'll probably wait until they offer some deals on them. Or pick up an off-lease car in 2-3 years.

SeanNelson said:
within that space, one is aimed at people interested in utility, and the other one is aimed at people interested in style. Why would GM want to compete in the style space when Tesla is already there? Much easier for them to sell cars in the utility portion of the 200+ mile/$30-40,000 EV market where Tesla doesn't compete.

I see where you're going, but since less than 1% of the car buying public drive off the lot with an electric car, the "space" and/or segment within that <1% is microscopic. I think you're splitting hairs (or possibly in denial) to think it's going to be "easier" for GM to sell the Bolt vs the Model 3 because it's a utilitarian hatchback.

Cars either have style or they don't. Ever wonder why those 400,000+ people with Model 3 deposits are willing to wait years instead of going with a utilitarian hatchback they could buy today? Style is a big deal, and GM has proven from example that they are capable of building beautiful cars. In this case, they simply chose not to.

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:
within that space, one is aimed at people interested in utility, and the other one is aimed at people interested in style. Why would GM want to compete in the style space when Tesla is already there? Much easier for them to sell cars in the utility portion of the 200+ mile/$30-40,000 EV market where Tesla doesn't compete.

I see where you're going, but since less than 1% of the car buying public drive off the lot with an electric car, the "space" and/or segment within that <1% is microscopic. I think you're splitting hairs (or possibly in denial) to think it's going to be "easier" for GM to sell the Bolt vs the Model 3 because it's a utilitarian hatchback.
Well, then I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

SeanNelson said:
Well, then I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

That's cool. Merry Christmas, Sean. I enjoy our debates. Looking forward to more of them in 2017. Have a happy New Year!

iletric said:
As far as that road noise, I'm rating it average. Mercedes it is not, but who wants Mercedes? I don't. It's a money pit, VW being on the top of the wretched heap and BMW in the middle.

We have decided that since there is nothing else out there until Leaf 2 year from now, we're going for it. My petite wife fits in that seat, it has the range, (she is sick of Soul having 78 miles cold range right now), range being obviously Bolt's biggest and most important attribute. I expect pretty decent resale value as well.

Will should get it in a week. Or so I hope.

Is it just me, or is it a little sad that when someone plunks down $40K on a car who isn't excited and seems to be only buying it because there is "nothing else out there". Well, congratulations (I guess).

BTW, I was ecstatic when I picked up my B250e, and I still love it . You sound like you just made a logical decision to buy a new toaster.

Also, why are you expecting "pretty decent" resale value on the Bolt? Because it has a 60kWh battery? I thought the new Volt might have a had a chance at good resale value too because of extended EV range, but that wasn't the case. It's way to early to know how well the Bolt will retain it's value over the years.

oilerlord said:
SeanNelson said:

Cars either have style or they don't. Ever wonder why those 400,000+ people with Model 3 deposits are willing to wait years instead of going with a utilitarian hatchback they could buy today? Style is a big deal, and GM has proven from example that they are capable of building beautiful cars. In this case, they simply chose not to.
The hope is that the Model III, Bolt, and any new EV expands that market share to more than 1% rather than compete within that small space. We'll see if it works.

oilerlord said:
I was ecstatic when I picked up my B250e, and I still love it .

I hail from Europe so the tinker car aspect of Euro cars are not lost on me. I don't want to open the hood unless absolutely necessary. Of course nowadays that car is so complicated that only dealer has any business to touch anything inside. Just count how many times did you have to bring it in. Lastly, your B250 break pads replacement does not come near my '92 Accord. I see Euro cars, VW in particular, as one small step above the Jaguar infamy. As an aside, my Accord has 520,000 miles on it.

oilerlord said:
Also, why are you expecting "pretty decent" resale value on the Bolt? Because it has a 60kWh battery?

In a way, yes. I am leery of buying any wheels with gas in it in this day and age. We've been driving EVs since June 2010 and we are on our 3rd EV right now. The planet is getting screwed. That is why. Plus I'm stuck with/sick and tired of changing oil (4 cars before June 2010).

Bolt is utilitarian, and I don't like the way GM handles its interior and controls. It's personal, I'm used to Jap cars, and GM sets most important controls just the opposite of those, particularly cruise and wipers lever movement. Personal preference. Old habit. I have otherwise described all my GM gripes above. So yeah, it's a new toaster with 238 miles usable that beats currently all competition.

The resale value is listed at about 60% at 3 years. I am adding about 5 grand to it, once the fed rebate is history.

Lastly, I'm looking forward to what Leaf 2 is going to deliver, the feelers have been out for a while. Cruise and wipers will be, hooray, where they're supposed to be.

iletric said:
I hail from Europe so the tinker car aspect of Euro cars are not lost on me. I don't want to open the hood unless absolutely necessary. Of course nowadays that car is so complicated that only dealer has any business to touch anything inside. Just count how many times did you have to bring it in. Lastly, your B250 break pads replacement does not come near my '92 Accord. I see Euro cars, VW in particular, as one small step above the Jaguar infamy. As an aside, my Accord has 520,000 miles on it.

In a way, yes. I am leery of buying any wheels with gas in it in this day and age. We've been driving EVs since June 2010 and we are on our 3rd EV right now. The planet is getting screwed. That is why. Plus I'm stuck with/sick and tired of changing oil (4 cars before June 2010).

I used to buy so-called "premium" euro cars too (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) and for the most part mirror your sentiment about high maintenance costs and questionable reliability. To your point, I'm also accustomed to the locations of the controls in my A4 and S4 wagons, which are pretty much exactly where they are in my VW. Notwithstanding the emissions debacle, my TDI has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Comparing it to a Jaguar is a little unfair.

I'm not too worried about brake pad replacements since I rarely use them in the B250e. But I'm more concerned about the long term longevity of the car's electronics & main traction battery. I'm quite certain that my VW will make 200,000 miles with only regularly scheduled maintenance and perhaps a turbo replacement. Even though EV's have far less moving parts, it remains to be seen if my Mercedes-Tesla compliance car will be more or as reliable as my VW, and all those Mercedes ML breakdowns I had are still fresh in my mind. Time will tell.

You're certainly not alone in the group of people that hang onto their old, high-mileage cars because repairs are cheap. There are lots of those guys on VW boards too. Personally, I value the safety of modern cars above cheap repair costs. A few years ago, I sold my old 89 Acura Integra that my dad kept in his garage until he passed away. I was initially excited to drive it again as it was the first car I bought with my own money but the thrill of driving it again quickly wore off. No doubt brake pads are cheap to replace on that car too, but honestly, it felt like I was driving a death trap.

Back