2017 Chevy Bolt EV Release Date and Updates: $37k, LT & Premium Trim Levels

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINK

Are you stoked with the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV? This is a plug-in electric vehicle with an asking price of $37,495 onward. This is not a surprise at all, as there have been rumors and leaks of the pricing in that region earlier this January before the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt hit the market. In fact, when you take into consideration the maximum federal tax credit of $7,500, then it would be $30k a pop -- making it pretty affordable. Of course, you can always pick up a hot rod like the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro for a few grand less, but that ride won't do much to heal our planet, let alone stop the rot.
No doubt the relatively attractive price point for the 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV is going to see that point being played up by many advertisements down the road. General Motors (GM) has not shown off their complete hand just yet by giving details on the different kinds of trim levels for the Chevy Bolt EV, but it did state that the base LT model will arrive with the Regen on Demand steering wheel paddles, a rear vision camera for those who find it difficult when parking in reverse, as well as a 10.2-inch color touch screen.
If you feel that the base LT model is not you cup of tea, then there will be a Premier trim level which will include both front and back heated seats (handy during those cold winter months), leather-appointed seats, a surround camera and a rear camera mirror which lets you check out the rear camera's view in your rear view mirror itself. The 2017 Chevy Bolt EV is slated to feature an official EPA range of 238 miles per charge.
There will be some point in time when the federal tax credit offer will be stopped. Until the end of last month, GM managed to sell 103,045 Volts to date. Throw in some Cadillac ELRs and Chevy Spark EVs here and there, and it will still take quite a huge shift before GM arrives at the 200,000 vehicle limit. When that limit is reached, then the tax credit will begin to decline for GM plug-in vehicle buyers, and it would not be surprising to see the Chevrolet Bolt experience a price drop when that happens.
The 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV is set to debut at showrooms not too far down the road, and the $37,495 which includes destination charge would mean GM has delivered on their promise to roll out the first electric vehicle in the market that does not break the $40,000 barrier, and yet is able to go beyond the 200 mile range on a full charge.
In addition, those who love the environment will be pleased to know that the 2017 Chevy Bolt will obtain an Environmental Protection Agency estimated range of 238 miles on a single charge of its 60-kWh battery, making it a direct rival to Tesla’s Model 3 that has yet to go on sale for at least one more year.

http://www.gospelherald.com/article...e-date-updates-37k-lt-premium-trim-levels.htm

FWIW: A contributor on the BoltEV Reddit Group said that he put a deposit on a Bolt EV in CA yesterday (10/4/16) and he was told that the car would be available in late December.
"I got a call from my Chevy dealer (Southern California) to come in and order my Bolt EV. I ordered it and put down my deposit of $1,000. He used the GM dealer ordering system so this was a legit order and not some internal "list". I ordered a Bolt EV LT but I really like the tech in the Premier trim line so I might change it. I've still got a few weeks to change it. Bad news is an estimated delivery date of late December. Anyone else order theirs?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/55v19k/ordered_my_bolt_ev_today/

A couple of posters at the GM-Volt forum say they've placed orders for a Bolt, meaning an actual order was placed through GM's system. However, there is still no pricing for some of the options.

That's surprising to me, given my experience with our local Chevy dealership. They dangled the possibility of an order a month ago when I asked about the car, but now they've gone silent and won't respond to my questions about when they will get any cars, or when orders can be placed. I've never dealt with this or any other Chevy dealership, so I have no idea what to make of it. Are they telling me to take my business elsewhere?

roundpeg said:
That's surprising to me, given my experience with our local Chevy dealership. They dangled the possibility of an order a month ago when I asked about the car, but now they've gone silent and won't respond to my questions about when they will get any cars, or when orders can be placed. I've never dealt with this or any other Chevy dealership, so I have no idea what to make of it. Are they telling me to take my business elsewhere?
Without pricing, there is no actual "order", either by the dealer or the customer.

I suspect the silence is mandated by GM, and we will see some sort of an announcement shortly. They may be making the first batch configured all the same (different colors?), since a portion are going to Lyft (actually Hertz since they run the Lyft rental program). Dealers may not have any say on the first cars they get. I would hope they all have DCFC - if I was a Lyft driver trying to make my ride quota for the "free" rent, sitting at an L2 station would suck. Just speculation.

DucRider said:
I suspect the silence is mandated by GM, and we will see some sort of an announcement shortly. They may be making the first batch configured all the same (different colors?), since a portion are going to Lyft (actually Hertz since they run the Lyft rental program). Dealers may not have any say on the first cars they get. I would hope they all have DCFC - if I was a Lyft driver trying to make my ride quota for the "free" rent, sitting at an L2 station would suck. Just speculation.

It may be a matter of semantics but it seems others are at a minimum enjoying more communication from their dealerships on the issue of ordering and delivery than I am.

roundpeg said:
It may be a matter of semantics but it seems others are at a minimum enjoying more communication from their dealerships on the issue of ordering and delivery than I am.
I see your point, but keep in mind car dealers (and other salespeople) have been known to stretch the truth a bit to get a customer to open their wallet. They may or may not have more info than your dealer, and what they have may or may not be correct.

The not responding is a bit troublesome, but if you were inquiring near the end of the month (and quarter), their focus would be on selling what they could deliver. Moving inventory goes a long ways towards getting future allocations (including the Bolt) and monthly/quarterly figures are used as a benchmark in many ways. Look at Tesla's Q3 push. Management, and often salespeople as well, have bonuses tied to monthly and quarterly results. While not the best customer service, calling to tell you they had nothing to tell you probably had low priority.

Might be worth another call/email/visit now that the new month and quarter have started. If they still don't respond, it might be time to reach out to some other dealers.

To get my Fit EV, I was on waiting lists at 5 dealerships. Took 6 months before I got the call. If it is critical that you get one ASAP, it might not hurt to be working with more than one dealership. They are certain to be on allocation when first released.

DucRider said:
I see your point, but keep in mind car dealers (and other salespeople) have been known to stretch the truth a bit to get a customer to open their wallet. They may or may not have more info than your dealer, and what they have may or may not be correct.

The not responding is a bit troublesome, but if you were inquiring near the end of the month (and quarter), their focus would be on selling what they could deliver. Moving inventory goes a long ways towards getting future allocations (including the Bolt) and monthly/quarterly figures are used as a benchmark in many ways. Look at Tesla's Q3 push. Management, and often salespeople as well, have bonuses tied to monthly and quarterly results. While not the best customer service, calling to tell you they had nothing to tell you probably had low priority.

Might be worth another call/email/visit now that the new month and quarter have started. If they still don't respond, it might be time to reach out to some other dealers.

To get my Fit EV, I was on waiting lists at 5 dealerships. Took 6 months before I got the call. If it is critical that you get one ASAP, it might not hurt to be working with more than one dealership. They are certain to be on allocation when first released.

They seemed pretty anxious to keep in touch with me at first. Once they had my contact info they called and emailed. Last I heard from them about three weeks ago I was told they were getting ready to order cars. When I did not hear anything further in a couple of weeks I followed up, to no avail. It's always possible the salesperson I spoke to doesn't work there anymore so perhaps I should not read too much into it.

My dealer in Escondido called me today and told me they were getting 26 vehicles and I would need to configure by next Wed for color and trim level. I'm going with the fast charging option, but don't have final pricing.

Most likely will lease at 15K/miles/year. Expecting a payment of $335-$350/month but that's a guess.

Escoguy said:
My dealer in Escondido called me today and told me they were getting 26 vehicles and I would need to configure by next Wed for color and trim level. I'm going with the fast charging option, but don't have final pricing.

Most likely will lease at 15K/miles/year. Expecting a payment of $335-$350/month but that's a guess.
Looks like (West Coast?) dealers have been assigned their initial allocation.
Orders'configuration next Wednesday, pricing available early next week. Delivery is usually 12 weeks from order, but much of the Bolt process has occurred at a quicker than normal pace, so who knows - almost certainly at least some will be delivered by year end.

DucRider said:
Orders'configuration next Wednesday, pricing available early next week. Delivery is usually 12 weeks from order, but much of the Bolt process has occurred at a quicker than normal pace, so who knows - almost certainly at least some will be delivered by year end.[/quote]

Quicker in some respects, slower in others. If the cars are indeed available for ordering this week, I'd expect normally to see the complete pricing. Maybe the dealers know but the information is still embargoed.

DucRider said:
Orders'configuration next Wednesday, pricing available early next week. Delivery is usually 12 weeks from order, but much of the Bolt process has occurred at a quicker than normal pace, so who knows - almost certainly at least some will be delivered by year end.

Quicker in some respects, slower in others. If the cars are indeed available for ordering this week, I'd expect normally to see the complete pricing. Maybe the dealers know but the information is still embargoed.

roundpeg said:
DucRider said:

http://www.hybridcars.com/more-2017-chevy-bolt-pricing-info-released/

c1987 said:
Fully loaded with fees and tax is looking like $50K.

If you include the fed tax credit I think it is closer to $40k, not $50k. Option pricing has been released - a fully loaded (all factory options) Bolt Premier will be $43.9k.

roundpeg said:
Is it worth owning an extra portable charge cord? Pretty pricy item at $535.

I would spend that on a Level 2 charger, instead of a second Level 1.

You only want to have to use a Level 1 charger - on any EV, let alone a 238 mile EV - in an emergency.

FULLY LOADED with everything, the Premier model is $44,270 with everything (except the 2nd L1 charger):

http://insideevs.com/dealer-reveals-additional-chevrolet-bolt-pricing-details/

bolt-pricing.jpg

2017-chevrolet-bolt-trim-guide-LT-Premier-588x800.jpg

So, that is $36,770 after the Federal tax credit.

Another key number to learn will be the lease buyout cost - I think a lease will be the most affordable way to get a Bolt EV.

Back