2020 Bolt lease buyout - Battery recall.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyeJay

Hello forum users,

My 3 year lease (2020 Bolt EV) is ending in October and I'm going to buy the car since It has low miles & I like it.
GM has not replaced the main traction battery despite my numerous attempts to check status.
The GM Concierge says they can sell me the car without performing the recall repairs but I have my doubts.
I recall hearing about a 'no sell' order placed upon the Chevy Bolt's which have not had the battery recall resolved .. does that only apply to the first Tranche (2017-19) of cars?

If GM fails to resolve the battery recall before my lease ends and I do have the opportunity to buy the car I'm hoping to use that defect to negotiate the residual value my lease contract outlines for the buyout.

Anyone have more info on all this?

Thank You very much,

- AyeJay

You have the contractual option to buy your Bolt. They cannot block you.

Their obligation under the recall to replace continues with your purchase.

Buy it and pressure them to swap for a 2023 EUV is my advice.

If they refuse you are getting a undoubtably getting a good price.

I love the extra 50 miles per charge my new battery gives me in my 2019.

Thank you BoltEV,

Update ..
As expected GM financial will only allow a lease buyout at the residual value outlined in the contract.
The GM concierge has offered a rebate in the amount of three monthly lease payments as compensation for the newly required 6200mile battery software diagnostic period which will be running well after I buy the car. The battery may or may not be replaced after the results of that software's 80% top, 70 mile low recommended charging/battery diagnosis.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V650-6916.pdf

-- Now that Chevy has decided NOT to just replace the batteries in 2020-2022 Bolts as they did for 2017-2019 Bolts I'm probably going to return the car at lease end. They can spend the time and the hassle finding out if the battery is defective on their dime.

GM's offer of $510 off a $23,000 lease residual/buyout is a pittance. That won't persuade me do the buyout considering the 'Battery Limbo' they've put we 2020-2022 Bolt drivers in.

NOT an ideal solution that GM has created almost two years after the recall announcement.

- AyeJay

Hello forum users,

My 3 year lease (2020 Bolt EV) is ending in October and I'm going to buy the car since It has low miles & I like it.
GM has not replaced the main traction battery despite my numerous attempts to check status.
The GM Concierge says they can sell me the car without performing the recall repairs but I have my doubts.
I recall hearing about a 'no sell' order placed upon the Chevy Bolt's which have not had the battery recall resolved .. does that only apply to the first Tranche (2017-19) of cars?

If GM fails to resolve the battery recall before my lease ends and I do have the opportunity to buy the car I'm hoping to use that defect to negotiate the residual value my lease contract outlines for the buyout.

Anyone have more info on all this?

Thank You very much,

- AyeJayar
on the 2020's they are getting buy with software updates and reducing full charge to 80% until 6000 miles. So be careful you don't purchase and get an inferior battery. On a side note, I had the same (3 year lease of a 2020) I turned it in and bought a low mileage 2018, that had a brand new 65kw battery with an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty for less. So I have more range, a new warranty, and lower cost. Good luck

I bought my 2020 not fixed Bolt out of lease when I saw the danger of rising interest rates. That’s almost 2 years ago. The fact that the Bolt was waiting for a battery was not an issue.
The GM customer service will compensate with 3 month lease payment for the battery being limited to 80% if you complain. No lease discount. The lease buyout is executed according to the contract. I got my compensation Way after I bought out the lease and payment used to calculate was my loan, not my lease.

Back