Analyst says 30,000 to 80,000 Chevy Bolt EVs could sell in first full model year

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d2170 said:
Thanks for those links about LG Chem battery productions.

I suspect the demand for the Bolt will be very high because I believe the TCO of the Bolt is already about the same as a Toyota Camry.

I haven't done the calculation carefully, but because of its 250-mile range, many Tesla owners don't charge their cars at home, they simply charge for free at work M-F during the day. For Bolt owners who are able to do this, the TCO over three to six years (lease or purchase) will very likely be lower than the Toyota Camry.

(Leaf and e-Golf owners do charge at work when they can, but because of the limited range, they also charge at home at night.)

While my work does offer charging, it costs a $1 per hour. With the Bolt's 7.2 kW onboard charger, that works out to 16.67 cents a kWh. I pay about 15 cents a kWh at home. I'll charge at home and leave a spot for someone who will need it more than me.

devbolt said:
While my work does offer charging, it costs a $1 per hour. With the Bolt's 7.2 kW onboard charger, that works out to 16.67 cents a kWh. I pay about 15 cents a kWh at home. I'll charge at home and leave a spot for someone who will need it more than me.

Charging at work can be a bother. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless was free and the spot was mine: I didn't need to unplug and switch parking spots when full. Charging at home is easy.

Note as well that many public charging stations are not 240V, but are 208V. The charging stations at my work are dual headed Chargepoints. 30A at 208V if only one car is attached, and 15A at 208 V if two cars are attached.

6.2kW for one, 3.1kW(each) for two.

d2170 said:
(Leaf and e-Golf owners do charge at work when they can, but because of the limited range, they also charge at home at night.)

I'm sure this is mostly true, but I'm one exception. I pay $0.10/kWh at work, which is about the same as at home (marginally cheaper). I charge almost exclusively at work (only need < 1 full charge most days). I'm normally done by lunch, so I park elsewhere in the afternoon to free up a charger. I mostly do this so that my wife can charge her CMax Energi in our 1-car garage.

If I were to upgrade to a Bolt, I would do the same thing.

WetEV said:
devbolt said:

Charging at work can be a bother. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless was free and the spot was mine: I didn't need to unplug and switch parking spots when full. Charging at home is easy.

Note as well that many public charging stations are not 240V, but are 208V. The charging stations at my work are dual headed Chargepoints. 30A at 208V if only one car is attached, and 15A at 208 V if two cars are attached.

6.2kW for one, 3.1kW(each) for two.

The ones at work are 6.6 kW, which implies a 220V circuit. We have multiple campuses, and one campus has the shared circuit dual-headed ChargePoint units. People have complained that it's unfair they have to pay $1 per hour and only get half the charge rate as compared to other campuses. A number of us have pointed out that a per kWh charge structure would be a lot fairer, but it's fallen on deaf ears so far.

Back