Bolt EV:A toaster, for an age when toast will be weirdly hip

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchev

MW-EF541_chevy__20160213154552_MG.jpg

From MarketWatch, this review was entertaining to read - every time I see a positive review of the Bolt electric vehicle, I get a little more excited for the future :)

I was able to drive a late-prototype Chevy Bolt EV around the campus of GM’s Warren Technical Center, which is still a sight to see, still redolent with midcentury optimism. The Bolt is an all-electric, B-segment hatch with a claimed range of more than 200 miles, 200 horsepower, sub 7-second acceleration, and a starting price, after the $7,500 tax credit, of around $30,000 (state credits may also apply). In the march to the practical, affordable electric car for the masses, those are magic metrics. Due date: Q4, 2016.

My pocket review: It’s a toaster, for an age when toast will be weirdly hip.

The Bolt is built on the Uncertainty Principle. The significance of Chevrolet’s Bolt is that it marks the final readiness of EVs for the masses. No more measured praises, no more wait-and-see. Whichever way the market goes, the machine is sufficient to the task. You can’t object that the Bolt is too expensive, because it won’t be; you can’t say it doesn’t have enough range, because it certainly will. You can’t say EVs aren’t quick enough, because no one ever said they weren’t quick.

All this the Bolt accomplishes, or will, when it hits the showrooms late this year, a year ahead of of Tesla’s EV commuter-car, the Model 3.

[...]

Still, as much as GM might like to say otherwise, the Bolt is not a conceptual breakthrough but rather a triumph of procurement, namely, the small, lightweight and powerful battery concealed under the floor. Comprising 288 lithium cobalt prismatic cells arranged like rows of business envelopes, the Bolt’s battery pack holds a mighty charge of 60 kwh (with 140 kW peak output, or 200 hp) while weighing 960 pounds, including all the thermal management plumbing. There will be an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on the battery.

Full review on MarketWatch
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chevys-new-bolt-is-it-good-enough-for-a-future-of-electric-cars-2016-02-13

Toaster :) The stylish and compelling Battery Electric Vehicle on the market is the Model S, and the rest are cramped compacts and not very compelling appliance vehicles.

However, at the price point Chevrolet is targeting, there are plenty of cars sold every year in the same size segment, and similar looking to the Bolt EV, and that even has my attention.

In your subjective opinion, the Bolt EV isn't stylish.

No on has had the electric Bolt up to highway speed yet, and reviews have not been all the same as to how the vehicle might handle. "Toast" comes from a writer, but we all like a vehicle that handles crisply

mitchev said:
MW-EF541_chevy__20160213154552_MG.jpg

Still, as much as GM might like to say otherwise, the Bolt is not a conceptual breakthrough but rather a triumph of procurement, namely, the small, lightweight and powerful battery concealed under the floor. Comprising 288 lithium cobalt prismatic cells arranged like rows of business envelopes, the Bolt’s battery pack holds a mighty charge of 60 kwh (with 140 kW peak output, or 200 hp) while weighing 960 pounds, including all the thermal management plumbing. There will be an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on the battery.

Full review on MarketWatch
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chevys-new-bolt-is-it-good-enough-for-a-future-of-electric-cars-2016-02-13[/quote]

They make it sound like that's a bad thing! A battery that powerful and that small is a win for technological advancement any day! Chevy Bolt EV has earned it.

Well, if Chevy Bolt EV is what's gonna be hip, they've done their job! They are after all trying to sell the car!

Diggle said:
Well, if Chevy Bolt EV is what's gonna be hip, they've done their job! They are after all trying to sell the car!

Exactly1 As long as they can make it popular, they don't care if people call Chevy Bolt a toaster!

Bread comes in 24 grains & other delectable varieties. Toast is not weird, but wonderfully diverse...... specially with hot chocolate made with brown sugar. In my beautiful state Bolt will take me to many exquisite terrains....& more often than more expensive & polluting gasoline engines did.

litesong said:
Bread comes in 24 grains & other delectable varieties. Toast is not weird, but wonderfully diverse...... specially with hot chocolate made with brown sugar. In my beautiful state Bolt will take me to many exquisite terrains....& more often than more expensive & polluting gasoline engines did.

Nicely said:)

Back