Bolt production delayed... or not?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
I suspect that GM is trying to play its cards close to its vest because the EV market is in a lot of flux right now. The Bolt is about to go onto the market with precedent-setting range and price points, so other manufacturers such as Nissan and VW are announcing plans for their own longer-range electric vehicles. I imagine GM wants to hear as many of those announcements before it crystallizes the Bolt options and prices in stone by publishing them in the order book.
The recent revelation that DC fast charging information for the Bolt has been removed from GM's web site seems to confirm my suspicions. Announcements such as VW's future EV with 100KW charging capability may have spurred GM to make a last-minute change in the Bolt specs. That might mean that DC fast charging will be a standard feature instead of an optional extra, or it could even mean that they will support charge rates faster than 50KW. Or... who knows?

At any rate with production scheduled to start just a month or so from now and the need to publish information for dealers so that they can order vehicles, we should find out pretty soon.

If my memory is correct GM indicated that initially it would have a 50kW fast charging rate and the following year (2018 Bolts) would have an increase in charging rate, +100kW. CCS is in a race with other charging standards so they don't want to tip there hand early too give the competition a leg up. It is possible that GM mentioned the 50kW rate but actually intends to go with the faster rate initially. In my opinion CCS will win over Chademo because one plug is better than two plugs as in the Leaf.
Details on future versions of CCS:
http://www.charinev.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/20151014_PR_CharIN_ELIV_EN.pdf

They are denying the rumors but in reality any solid information hasn't been out yet.

mark111 said:
roundpeg said:
Rivu said:
I just came across an article where GM denied the delay in production rumor. I shared the article with Chevy bolt forum, you can check it out.

They'd already denied it when I started this thread. The question I was really asking: If full production is supposed to begin in October, why haven't we seen the final specs, pricing, and options? No EPA ratings yet either. That's a lot of open issues for a car that is supposed to be appearing in a matter of weeks.

You have a point. It's getting pretty confusing.

AT this point it is pretty confusing. They're denying the delay but at the same time you don't hear anything substantial about it.

Back