Charge rate 1%-85% SoC on the fast charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicoken

Posted some charge data on the blog if people are interested. Extremely boring 1.5 hours, I have a video I am trying to edit together later as well.

Summary:
I sat on the charger for 90 minutes tonight to get a better idea of the various tapers the car undergoes as it is charged. The main takeaway is that the tapers are not gradual, they are hard drops in charging power. The first drop I noticed was around 50% charge, then another around 70%, and then another around 80ish%. I ended up around 85% charged and pulling in around 16 kW at that time. Ambient temperature is around 60F.

There were two times once at 30% and once at 40% where some fans/pumps came on and drew around 5 kW from the charger for a few minutes. Other than that no real abnormalities in the charge.

http://boltev.blogspot.com

Very interesting info about the charging rate over time vs. SoC, thx. Had I been paying more attention to your blog this week (which I enjoy reading), I would have noticed that you were 'in the area' and I would have pointed out there there is a spot with FOUR ChargePoint Express200 DCFC chargers (that put out a constant 46-48 kW) about 10 mi south of SFO (the airport).

The chargers are just off US-101, and just south of the US101/CA92 interchange, in a somewhat upscale mini-mall with a few restaurants. It's a nice place to stop, as it is JUST off the freeway, it's in a covered parking lot (out of rain & wind), there are places to eat (if you need to refuel *yourself* ;) ), the chargers don't shut you off after 30 mins (and the 'parking charge' doesn't kick in until after the first hour), there are 4 DCFCs so one should always be available, and they really put out almost 50 kW (if your car will accept it).

Back