Charging rate

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdejon

Is there any difference for the "battery Heath and longevity" charging from a level 2 220v 32amps or the regular 110v 8amps? I read that "slower the better" or maybe we should avoid repeatedly DC charging... and is there any problem charge 100% everyday or is better to use the hilltop reserve to preserve the battery, since my daily commute is about 20miles only.. thanks

No, simply driving around and getting regen can recharge the batteries more and faster. The only discussion is whether to charge the battery to 100% or 88% (Hilltop Mode). With that most people believe there is a buffer on the top and bottom end to prevent battery damage.

Even the quickest DCQC rate (nominally 80kW) is less than 1.5C (1.5 * capacity in one hour = 60kWh battery at 1.5C = 90kW). Lithium batteries can easily support 2C or greater. The real killer is heat, and the Bolt has a thermally managed battery. I wouldn't worry about charge rate.

As Maxters mentions, I would recommend hilltop mode for longevity. Although the benefit is probably small, most days I suspect you can live with it, as it will still give you over 200 miles of range. If you are taking a long drive one day, don't hesitate to override it.

Back