Chevy Bolt Dealerships required to have CCS chargers installed

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltplease

At 7:45 is the part about the fast chargers.

https://youtu.be/yQ8P7Ooo-7w

here’s no requirement that these be public chargers, but GM does say some dealers will install more than one station and that these additional stations will be open to the public (free?…pay-per-use?…only for Bolt drivers?…we don’t know the answer yet.)

From http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-dealers-required-install-ccs-chargers/

I hope they do a better job than with BMW and Nissan did with their L2 units. Every one of them that I have seen are either blocked 90% of the time, behind a gate, or both.

L2 and DCFC are completely different beasts. L2 could easily be considered "for dealer use", as charging to full could take from 4-10 hours.

DCFC is more of a "I'd like 25% more charge now, please". (Change '25%' to whatever % you prefer, so long as it isn't over 80%. :) )

The article has disappeared on-line (it may come back), but here is the text :

In Los Angeles, prior to the opening of the 2016 auto show, Chevrolet hosted a Bolt event in which the automaker released some previously unknown details related to the electric car.

Among those details, the stand out was that General Motors will require all Bolt dealers to install at least one CCS fast charger.

Now, there’s no requirement that these be public chargers, but GM does say some dealers will install more than one station and that these additional stations will be open to the public (free?…pay-per-use?…only for Bolt drivers?…we don’t know the answer yet.)

The whole video is worth watching, but if you’re interested in the fast charger talk, then just fast-forward to the 7-minute, 45-second mark in the video.

Interestingly, the first comment there is *identical* to (word for word) the first comment here. Especially since the first comment here was just ONE MINUTE after the original post. Hmmmmm.

The article is back. So wouldn't we expect Chevy dealers that are selling the Volt and Spark to already have at least one charging station?

roundpeg said:
The article is back. So wouldn't we expect Chevy dealers that are selling the Volt and Spark to already have at least one charging station?
They are requiring a 50 kW DCFC (at an uninstalled cost of ~$14K). The Volt does not have DCFC as an option and it was not required of dealers selling the Spark.
My local dealer figures total cost to get certified to sell the Bolt will be about $45K.

I haven't watched the video, is that what it says? The article says only "fast charger" which as has been pointed out can mean L2 AC.

Keeping in mind also that DCFC is an option on the Bolt. Seems like to the folks here that's a no-brainer option (I ordered it too based on the advice I got here) but for sure not every Bolt sold will have it.

EDIT: Have now watched this video. In between the marketspeak, we get:

-2,000 Chevy dealers currently certified to sell the Bolt.
-Each will be required to install DCFS "in the service bay" for the main purpose of having fully-charged cars available for test driving.
-It will be up to the dealership to decide if they want that charge station to be available public

DCFC = Direct Current Fast Charging
I don't know anyone that refers to L2 AC as fast charging.

One of the dealerships I work with for EV events and promotions is the local Chevy dealer. Purchasing (from GM) and installing a DCFC unit is part of the requirement to sell the Bolt. They have 3 phase 480 in their shop and will mount it outside the shop on a rear wall behind the dealership. Putting it where it would be accessible to the public would cost thousands of dollars additional (trenching under parking lots, driveways and sidewalks costs $$$)

A lot of good info in this video. Unfortunately it cuts off when they get to driver safety features but maybe that will be saved for another video.

roundpeg said:
-Each will be required to install DCFS "in the service bay" for the main purpose of having fully-charged cars available for test driving.
Probably also required to do maintenance on the car (in particular, test the DCFC port)

Back