Chevy Bolt EV Review, From One Of The First Buyers To Get One

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkicks

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/01/04/chevy-bolt-ev-review-one-first-buyers-get-one/

While there haven’t actually been that many Chevy Bolt EVs delivered to buyers to date, several hundred have now been delivered (there were 579 deliveries in December). What do these first owners think of the Bolt EV so far?

One of these owners, posting under the name “Ladogaboy” on the GM Volt forum, was generous enough to post a review of the Bolt EV there. Here are some particularly interesting parts (though the whole thing is worth a read if you have the time):

“Also, after driving the car for about 45 minutes, I came to really like the back support. I’ve just driven a C-Max for about 5,000 miles, and the Bolt’s seats are definitely more comfortable. To me, anyway.

“… Good lord, people. This car is actually very efficient. Most of my driving was at ~67 MPH on the freeway; 55–60°F temperatures; and wet pavement/slight drizzle. Even with the ~2 kWh of juice that went into powering the electronics, my estimated range was within a few miles of the EPA’s estimated range of 238 miles. More to come on that, but the worry about highway efficiency seems to be much ado about nothing.

“… This is a bit weird, but I can’t quite explain the space in the Bolt EV. Having a direct comparison with the C-Max, I can tell that it is a bit shorter, which explains the smaller amount of cargo volume behind the rear seats. But the passenger area of the Bolt EV feels much more spacious.”

As a CMax owner, I appreciate the comparison. To me, the CMax has about the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned. So to say that the Bolt is an improvement is a huge statement!

Interesting that it's smaller than a CMax. Good point of reference.

What I appreciate about my Leaf compared to my Bolt:
- more fun to drive with smoother ride and suspension
- more cargo space
- rear camera view in reverse appears to be less obscured during rainy conditions
- security system is not over-designed with smarts that auto-lock or alarm (compared to my Bolt that auto-locked my purse with remote resting inside the rear cargo area, and on another occasion sounded the alarm while I was tidying inside the vehicle without the remote)
- miles left estimate remains at lower mileage compared to Bolt
- gentler horn tone signals you with reminders about remote detection or lack thereof
- "off" button means what I am used to: off
- more built-out charging infrastructure at Nissan dealerships including DC fast charging (compared to Chevy dealerships in general). This is less matter if turns out can charge my Bolt with equal preference at Nissan dealerships.

What I appreciate about my new Bolt compared to my 2011 Leaf:
- over 200 mile range for much less range anxiety, especially during trips out of town
- better-designed headrests that fold down for less obstruction of rear view
- Apple CarPlay integration for mapping and much larger LCD display with more responsive touchscreen
- connect over 4G (compared to only 3G as latest option for current Leafs)
- meaner horn to signal hazardous drivers encountered on road
- brighter and auto headlights to light up the road
- heated seats and steering wheel are more efficient for driver comfort than heating the cabin with forced air in my Leaf
- faster acceleration
- efficient driving mode as default (whereas the Leaf requires an interaction to put in Eco mode after start)

ang said:
You can configure the Bolt to give you multiple estimates of range remaining. A high, medium or low. Or just one number.

ang said:
Can you elaborate on this? If you mean the radio is still on, and the interior lights are on after you've hit the Power button, a number of cars are like that. My wife's Countryman doesn't automatically kill the radio until you open the driver's door after hitting off as an example.

devbolt said:
You can configure the Bolt to give you multiple estimates of range remaining. A high, medium or low. Or just one number.

I may have to actually read the manual to see how to display estimates of miles remaining when falls low (in the teens).

devbolt said:
Can you elaborate on this? If you mean the radio is still on, and the interior lights are on after you've hit the Power button, a number of cars are like that. My wife's Countryman doesn't automatically kill the radio until you open the driver's door after hitting off as an example.

Am not yet used to the LCD display remaining lit after hit the power button to turn off the vehicle, nor stepping out of the car and having the headlights turn automatically on at night after the vehicle is powered off.

ang said:
devbolt said:

Am not yet used to the LCD display remaining lit after hit the power button to turn off the vehicle, nor stepping out of the car and having the headlights turn automatically on at night after the vehicle is powered off.

My CMax does this too. I've had the car for a year and a half, and I'm still not completely used to it. Frankly, I would prefer the car turn completely off after hitting the switch, rather than stay on until you open the driver door, shut it again, and wait for 15 seconds. It's too easy to walk away with the car still on, and not realize it.

ang said:
- more fun to drive with smoother ride and suspension
- more cargo space
- rear camera view in reverse appears to be less obscured during rainy conditions
- security system is not over-designed with smarts that auto-lock or alarm (compared to my Bolt that auto-locked my purse with remote resting inside the rear cargo area, and on another occasion sounded the alarm while I was tidying inside the vehicle without the remote)
- gentler horn tone signals you with reminders about remote detection or lack thereof
- more built-out charging infrastructure at Nissan dealerships including DC fast charging (compared to Chevy dealerships in general). This is less matter if turns out can charge my Bolt with equal preference at Nissan dealerships.

What I appreciate about my new Bolt compared to my 2011 Leaf:
- over 200 mile range for much less range anxiety, especially during trips out of town
- better-designed headrests that fold down for less obstruction of rear view
- Apple CarPlay integration for mapping and much larger LCD display with more responsive touchscreen
- connect over 4G (compared to only 3G as latest option for current Leafs)
- meaner horn to signal hazardous drivers encountered on road
- brighter and auto headlights to light up the road
- heated seats and steering wheel are more efficient for driver comfort than heating the cabin with forced air in my Leaf
- faster acceleration
- efficient driving mode as default (whereas the Leaf requires an interaction to put in Eco mode after start)

This is good info, realistic and concise. An honest assessment which is extremely appreciated by many of us who are taking our time and checking out every angle in regards to electric vehicles

ang said:
- more cargo space
Thanks for the details. I'm sure a lot of Leaf owners are thinking about Bolt.

Can you give more details on the cargo space / trunk ? I'm particularly interested in the depth of the trunk (not height) - can I put the umbrella stroller and still have enough space for groceries etc ?

evnow said:
ang said:
- more cargo space
Thanks for the details. I'm sure a lot of Leaf owners are thinking about Bolt.

Can you give more details on the cargo space / trunk ? I'm particularly interested in the depth of the trunk (not height) - can I put the umbrella stroller and still have enough space for groceries etc ?

Yes, both vehicles were first in their generation of 100% battery EV for the masses. A lot of early adopters like to be first, and I imagine are or have been looking at the Bolt.

Won't ask what an umbrella stroller is. Maybe the pictures of cargo space posted on other threads can help you assess, like:
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4794

ginforce said:
This is good info, realistic and concise. An honest assessment which is extremely appreciated by many of us who are taking our time and checking out every angle in regards to electric vehicles

Glad to hear the comparison was helpful. The online forum has been very helpful to me as well when it comes to unpacking leases.

One additional benefit of the Bolt over my old Leaf is less hassle and more savings with charging, in that can get by with charging several times per week now and strategically do so at complimentary chargers for additional savings (whereas was daily charging my Leaf during the winter and often at home in addition to work to combat range anxiety).

Back