convertible?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

As a three-time Miata owner (my third is about to be buried under a foot of Nor'Easter snow on Tuesday), I can't help looking at the EV platform under the Bolt and wondering what kind of convertible it might make. Heavy, yes. High, yes. But a low CG, and probably a shorter wheelbase if you make it a two-seater. Certainly a dramatically lower roof and a better drag number. I suppose with a shorter wheelbase, you'd lose a few battery cells. But I bet the lighter, lower, 2-seat convertible would still get better range. And actually have usable trunk space too. And cost less. Not saying it would ever compete with the world's most perfect roadster - the Miata. But it would be interesting to see what GM could do with that platform.

Maybe Mary Barra is lurking on the forum and will issue an edict for a convertible next Bolt staff meeting?

fwiw, I think BMW is missing a serious opportunity by not releasing an EV in the form of a 1 series or Z series.

It's an interesting thought that, for many owners, a light truck and a convertible are often third vehicles. And owners don't take them far from the house. Perfect candidates both for a short-range EV. My Ranger goes a grand total of 10 miles each week to the dump. My Miata maybe 50 miles each week for a joy ride. Easy problem spaces for an EV to attack.

ScooterCT said:
It's an interesting thought that, for many owners, a light truck and a convertible are often third vehicles. And owners don't take them far from the house. Perfect candidates both for a short-range EV. My Ranger goes a grand total of 10 miles each week to the dump. My Miata maybe 50 miles each week for a joy ride. Easy problem spaces for an EV to attack.

Before I had kids, my third vehicle was a Honda S2000 convertible. For me, it was exactly the car that I took far from the house. My beater (a Civic at the time), was just for commuting and winter duty. Any road trip was in the S2000 (if I didn't need to bring much luggage, of course).

Still, I pine for a BEV roadster. Like the old Tesla Roadster (but something I could afford). If GM really adapts the Bolt to other form factors, I hope they do a roadster. It could be great.

Back