Does anyone know where the subwoofer is located?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGameProgrammer

I'm getting aftermarket speakers put into my LT, and while a subwoofer is not necessary, we were trying to figure out where one could go. The Premiere can be upgraded to Bose audio which includes a subwoofer. Anyone know where it goes?

CGameProgrammer said:
I'm getting aftermarket speakers put into my LT, and while a subwoofer is not necessary, we were trying to figure out where one could go. The Premiere can be upgraded to Bose audio which includes a subwoofer. Anyone know where it goes?
Apparently it goes into the "spare tire well" beneath the cargo floor. That's the round space below the foam insert that holds the tow hook, AC charge unit, etc.

Thanks. I saw that space and saw that it was unused so I was wondering about that. Is it possible for you to take a picture of it so I can see how exactly it was arranged there?

Is the factory head unit in the LT capable of handling better speakers and a sub, or are you putting in an amp as well?

I'm starting by just replacing the four door speakers, and if an amp turns out to be necessary then I will get that too, but for now I'm not expecting to need it.

Please keep us posted with your experiences. I suspect upgrading the audio in the car is something many will want to do, especially since the upgraded sound system is only available on the Premier trim.

Yes, please detail your experiences with pictures on your audio/speaker installations. I suspect this will be a very popular thing to do. Also, I wonder if someone can get the actual BOSE sub woofer components and plug/wire those into the LT trim headunit.

flamaest said:
Yes, please detail your experiences with pictures on your audio/speaker installations. I suspect this will be a very popular thing to do. Also, I wonder if someone can get the actual BOSE sub woofer components and plug/wire those into the LT trim headunit.

The only virtue of using Bose components is that they may fit easily without modification. However, it may well be better to pursue another option given the overall low sound quality of the Premier stereo with the Bose "upgrade."

All good points, please feel free to keep us informed on your decisions and installation process.

I had the four door speakers replaced with Polk DB652s. Total cost including installation at a local shop was $350 ($180 for speakers, $40 for adapters, and labor was $30/door). They're better than stock, but still disappointing, especially at moderate volume. I am hoping an amplifier will fix that so I'm going to discuss that with the shop and will keep you guys informed.

Polk make pretty good speakers (I always buy Polk myself) so hopefully an amp will help. One of the unfortunate downsides of all the integration into the factory head units is that replacing them with an aftermarket stereo is largely becoming impossible. In the past you could just pop out the stereo itself but now I'm not sure the Bolt could even function without access to the settings in the head unit.

Back