Drove 230 miles today

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamj0eking

Just wanted to share that you definitely can get more than 230 miles on a single charge. I had to go from SF to Folsom and back today, and the screen says I went 230.4 miles, using 54.0 kWh. And you know the screen doesn't lie. I had 25 miles left when I got home. Weather was mild today, and I didn't have to use any heat or A/C, so of course that helped. Also very happy to use the carpool lane as a single driver across all the toll bridges.

Congrats!

How fast did you drive on the freeway? 55-65? You must have drove really well to ave 4.27 m/kw Fortunately, most of that route is also relatively flat.

My experience on the fwy has been less productive. Generally, when driving at 65-85 going w/the flow in the fast lane,, I'm only getting around 2.7 to 3 m/kw.

Another data point:
The longest drive I have taken so far was about 160 miles, mostly highway, mostly 65 mph. I was getting 4.1miles/kwh and (adding miles driven and expected range remaining) was on target for 248 miles total. It was a fine CA day and therefore I turned off the heat and AC. So far, my experience suggests it is easy to beat 238 with the heat and AC off on a mild day, and hard to reach 238 with heat/AC on.

I left early in the morning and there weren't that many cars on the road, so I was definitely trying to stay around 60-65 on I-80. On the way back, I had to drive a bit faster, since I used the carpool lane during rush hour.

And I agree, here in CA, you can probably get close to 250 if you don't use the A/C or heat, which I'm really happy about.

Also, side note: getting reimbursed for your miles when driving the Bolt = win.

I have determined that the only way that I can achieve over 230 miles on a single charge is to NEVER drive on the freeway, where I just can NOT keep from staying in the fast lane driving 75-80 w/the "flow" of traffic and driving even faster when need be.

The past week since I last topped off on 3/15/17, I've driven my Bolt only locally on "city" streets at no more than 50-55 mph on long straight aways w/o any quick start/stops and few passing events. I drove my BMW, MB and F250 on longer trips this past week.

Doing this the remaining estimated mid-range in my Bolt is currently 204 miles after having driving only 36 miles (with the total estimated range equaling 240 and averaging 4.5 m/kw for the few miles driven).

Interestingly, the estimated mid-range after the last recharge was 209 miles, so I've driven 36 miles while only using 5 of the previously estimated 209 miles of range driving just locally in L and with the AC/heater off.

So, in order the make the "best" use of the Bolt, I am ONLY going to drive it locally from now on and anytime I need to drive on the freeway, I'm just going to drive one of my other vehicles instead.

The amount of times that I need to drive on the freeway to run errands, go shopping or whatever is actually quite rare; only once or twice a week at most and sometimes not at all. So, it's really not that big a deal.

Driving the Bolt only locally will allow me to drive it for weeks on end w/o needing a charge and may well increase my range above 250 miles between recharges. Going to drive it this way down to around 50 estimated miles remaining to see how much mileage I get.

We'll see . . .

Update 3/24/17: Took the long way around on city streets today. Mileage mid-range at end of the trip was 199 w/51 miles traveled. So, total effective range adjusted up to 250 from 240 yesterday. :)

Update 3/25/17: Only drove a few miles yesterday and ending numbers for estimate mid-range 180 and miles drive 70; total 250. So, it was a push on mileage yesterday. Think that was because I pushed the car over 55 on a long straightway trying to get around some slow pokes.

My electrician just installed the 14-50 outlet for my L2 Clipper Creek charger today and I've got it on the charger now. So, I'm going have to re-start my effort to see how many miles I can get out of the Bolt by staying off the freeway.
Going to have to restart monitoring the mileage after

When reporting exceptional range numbers, except possibly for an out and back where the wind doesn't shift direction or change velocity for the duration of the trip, it's always kind of important to know whether the wind helped you or not (and how much). It can be major, since air resistance is non linear. So if you have a 20 knot tailwind, the car thinks it's driving 50 when you're doing 70. And vice versa if you're going into the wind. And since winds can reverse direction during a frontal passage, you can very well have a tailwind going out AND coming back (as a bicyclist, I can vouch it's perversely usually a headwind going both ways).

Just something to be aware of. In this thread, the poster was out and back and we can probably ignore the wind effect.

MichaelLAX said:
sgt1372's anthem: ;)

You're just trying to be a wise guy again BUT actually you are quite accurate in this case. I use the following logo as my avatar on another website and Sammy's song IS my anthem. LOL!!!

untitled-51.png

Back in the 70's when the 55 MPH speed limit was the law of the land (due to the fuel shortage and the Federally mandated imposition), I successfully challenged a few speeding tickets on 10th Amendment constitutional grounds! They were not appealed because they did not want to set a precedent!

I was driving a Pontiac Firebird, like Sammy in those days down Interstate 5 after it opened ALL THE WAY from the 152 to the Grapevine!

PS: I've mellowed as a grandfather! :lol:

MichaelLAX said:

Not me. Still the same after the birth of my grandson back in Dec 2015. Just like being a grandpa a lot better than I did being a father. ;)

sgt1372 said:
MichaelLAX said:

Not me. Still the same after the birth of my grandson back in Dec 2015. Just like being a grandpa a lot better than I did being a father. ;)

I think most do. My father has a picture frame with his grandkids that says "Grandkids are your reward for not killing your children". I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about that :|

Back