EVgo has the right idea, just doesn't go far enough

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Today I had my first experience with DCFC. Here in Los Angeles there are widespread power outages due to raging wild fires, and my home is dark. The Bolt had only 30 miles left and no indication of when power might be restored.

Fortunately there was an EVgo DCFC a few miles away. I arrived there to find two Bolts plugged in... one to the Level 2 connector and one to the DCFC combo charger. The car connected to the DCFC was brand new (still had paper plates) and charging was complete. I waited ten minutes, expecting the owner to return, but he didn't . So I simply unplugged him, plugged into my own car and started charging. When I was done, a half hour later, he still hadn't returned.

The guy had simply camped out on the DCFC, completely oblivious to the fact that he was blocking others from using the charger. Except for the fact that I was able to pull in at an angle and reach the "hose" I'd have been out of luck.

I applaud EVgo for placing the half hour limit, and I think they also should have charged that thoughtless guy a ton of money for occupying the space once charging was complete.

I got over 70 miles in my half hour, plenty to keep me going. In my opinion, time limiting DCFC is appropriate and I'm glad EVgo cut him off after his half hour.

Interesting. I had an experience with the charge-limiting, but from the other side. I was plugged in and charging at an EVGo DCQC in Albany, NY. I was not ready to leave the area, and wanted to keep charging after half an hour, so I walked back to the charger to start a new session. To my surprise, someone was there, waiting! This is new to me (in upstate NY, there aren't a whole lot of EVs yet). I was happy to move my car after my session so that he could charge. We chatted for 5 minutes until my 30 minute session was up, and I moved my car. He charged for half an hour and was on his way.

I kind of get what you are saying. But the 30 minutes just aren't enough for a Bolt at a 50kW station. They really need 100kW stations, and multiple connections at each one. Also, I'm all for charging a "parking" fee for those connected but no longer charging. Maybe give a 5 minute grace period, and then start the clock.

My biggest gripe with EVGo is their complete lack of communication. The only reason I know about the 30 minute session limit is from this forum. If I hadn't known, I would have left my car for an hour thinking it was charging the whole time. I feel if they added a connection fee after your charge session, they would do so silently. You would only find out when you got a surprise fee tacked on your bill!.

They could (and should!) post a sign asking people to remove their cars promptly when charging was complete. Perhaps also a text message letting them know the status.

I believe this particular guy was a brand new EV owner and was clueless. It's an office complex and the idiot probably had the car parked there all day. We left him a note (polite...not like this post which reflects my true attitude)

The way you handled it was perfect....let the guy waiting get a squirt of juice so he could get on the way.

Our half hour got us 70-80 miles, pretty much the full range of my previous Focus. Worked out just fine.

And yes, multiple hoses for sure. This particular station had an L2, a dual Chademo/CCS, and a Chademo. There were three Bolts there, ours included, nothing else. The Chademo's were unused and should be converted.

Back