First Impressions of the Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mczajka

As a Spark EV owner, what are your first impressions with the production version of the Bolt EV? I've said all along that if GM could package a car larger than the Spark EV with more refinement, it could have a winner on its hands. I wish it was a little bigger, but we'll have to sit in one to see. It will most likely not have power seats, but we can hope. It would be very cool if the glass roof made a mysterious appearance next week, but that would be a big surprise.

I know GM is always trying to drive down the costs. It's hard to tell exactly right now, but I was surprised that the L2 charging speed wasn't a little better, since the standard supported it. Of course it's double of what the Spark EV is, but could they have done more? Don't you think Nissan's new entry will exceed 6.6? The car really looks like a brother of the Spark, extended a little. It has similar lines, including the hatch.

[EDIT] Ok, from this article, which is good, it appears the L2 rate could be 7.7 kW? http://insideevs.com/2017-chevrolet-bolt-fine-print/

We don't know quite yet about the heating system, battery cooling, battery size/exact range, max L3 capability (in fact it seemed like it went from 80% in 45 min to 80% in 1 hour). I hope they get more specific in Detroit next week.

What do you think?

I have a Fusion Energi which will be paid off in March, but I've also had my eye on a Model 3. As crappy as some of the dealers are, GM makes a point for service convenience. I live in So. MD, but I got my Spark EV just north of DC (limited Spark dealership availability/service in MD). It's a pain to take it up there for service (although service was only needed earlier this year to fix a hardware problem).

Rear seat space looks good, and GM is touting their cargo space that's 1.8 cu ft larger than the i3. Size is a little smaller than I thought it would be as well. I think it does depend on the Model 3 - how big it will actually be, how much range it will actually have, and how much it will actually cost. Plus it has the advantage of the supercharger network, but that will mainly be useful for people that only have EVs, vs the family that has a second larger SUV/etc for long outtings and towing their boat etc

Terribly underwhelming. I was really hoping for a more interesting, cutting edge design...instead it looks like a designed by committee product. Real shame....GM had a really great opportunity to make this thing look slick.

GM is typically very focus group driven, so something too odd would probably not sell very well. I believe they call it the "BOLT EV" so people know exactly what it is, like the "EV1." There are probably a lot of people who don't know exactly what the Volt is/does. I still talk to some people who think the Volt is all electric, or when you tell them it goes 53 miles on electric, they cringe, not realizing it also has an ICE.

I think they're going for a mainstream, inoffensive design. The problem with cutting edge is that it tends to be polarizing.

The 2016 Volt is also very conventionally designed. It seems to be working well for them so far.

Personally, I'm far more interested in what a vehicle can do, than what it looks like.

First impression:
eBE21mm.jpg

Nothing else in the $30k range even comes close! The Model 3 likely won't be around for another 2 years after the Bolt, so I don't feel it's entirely relevant for those planning a 2-3 year lease from late 2016/early 2017.

Also consider the Bolt has the same passenger volume as the Model S. How is the Model 3 going to compete there if it's smaller than the ridiculously large Model S?

ssspinball said:
Nothing else in the $30k range even comes close! The Model 3 likely won't be around for another 2 years after the Bolt, so I don't feel it's entirely relevant for those planning a 2-3 year lease from late 2016/early 2017.

Also consider the Bolt has the same passenger volume as the Model S. How is the Model 3 going to compete there if it's smaller than the ridiculously large Model S?

I agree. I expect to be almost ready to return my first leased Bolt before the Model 3 becomes readily available.

People are contemptuous about Leaf's dorky bug-eye appearance. That's one reason I like my Focus Electric, looks absolutely normal.

The Bolt seems to have completely obsoleted all the 80 and 100 mile class EVs. Why would anybody get a 100 mile Leaf, Focus Electric, E-Golf or anything else like that now?

michael said:
People are contemptuous about Leaf's dorky bug-eye appearance. That's one reason I like my Focus Electric, looks absolutely normal.

I leased my i3 despite it's looks but I actually like it now, but by "like" I mean I don't think it's hideous, just very unusual. :p The Leaf however has not grown on me at all--Still think it's hideous. I'm not into the "Japanese catfish future" look. Same with the new Prius.

michael said:
The Bolt seems to have completely obsoleted all the 80 and 100 mile class EVs. Why would anybody get a 100 mile Leaf, Focus Electric, E-Golf or anything else like that now?

Agree, not only in range but in all the high-end tech as well.

ssspinball said:
michael said:

I leased my i3 despite it's looks but I actually like it now, but by "like" I mean I don't think it's hideous, just very unusual. :p The Leaf however has not grown on me at all--Still think it's hideous. I'm not into the "Japanese catfish future" look. Same with the new Prius.

michael said:

Agree, not only in range but in all the high-end tech as well.

You cannot compare the Bolt to the previous generation EVs until the manufacturers of those other EVs bring their own new EVs to market. I've a feeling the new Leaf may look very very good and far more interesting than this pedestrian looking Bolt.

I give BMW points for designing something different and unusual.

noz said:
You cannot compare the Bolt to the previous generation EVs until the manufacturers of those other EVs bring their own new EVs to market. I've a feeling the new Leaf may look very very good and far more interesting than this pedestrian looking Bolt.

That's kinda the point...nobody else has brought anything to market that competes as a moderately priced, 200 mile class car. You're right...one cannot compare. There's nothing but talk from anyone else.

I'm certainly not going to sit around waiting...I expect to get a Bolt almost as soon as they become available. The others will have to wait three years until I'm shopping around again.

Back