Is there a battery temperature readout in degrees C and F?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devbolt said:
While I get the desire to see the battery pack temeperature, or the SOC down to a tenth of a decimal place, or knowing how much regen is being funneled back into the battery pack, there's a point at which too much information is being presented and becomes not just cumbersome, but a dangerous distraction to the driver. Your primary focus should be on safely driving the car, not if the battery pack temperature is at 60C.

If the battery pack is at 60C, I'm getting close to a safety problem. And I'm surely past the temperature for a reliability problem. if I don't get the cool the pack down very soon I'm looking at a very expensive pack replacement. And I'm likely looking at a lot of capacity loss. I'd hope that this sort of temperature generates a useful alarm.

There are some things all users usually need to know: Speed
There are some things a user often needs to know: charge level analog bars, GOM, outside temperature, others
There are some things some users sometimes wants to know: charge %, battery pack temperature

Battery pack temperature is in the sometimes class of information. As most driving is commuting, temperature doesn't matter much at all.

I do see the point to minimizing information. The less information the driver is presented with the better, unless this leaves out information that is needed. I could see in the future an electric with wireless charging used for commuting with only a speed display. The wireless charging points in every parking space would keep the battery at a reasonable level for any in-town trip, and the electric utility company controls when the car is charged to optimize the power grid. Charge level? GOM? Who needs for commuting? Ok, legally probably need an odometer and turn signal indications. But anything else?

I'd like control over what information I'm looking at. I don't want charge % or battery temperature for commuting. I might want one or both, if driving to someplace out of the way.

Camera analogy is interesting. I'm in the minority that likes control over how a picture is taken. Point and shoot gets a reasonable picture almost every time, but control over F-stop, shutter speed, ISO, manually focusing and such can get a stunning picture often enough to make it worth my bother. Of course, I also take pictures with the cell phone.

I want a "SLR" car, not a "cell phone camera" car. I may often "auto focus", but I want the "manual focus" control available.

WetEV said:
There are some things a user often needs to know: charge level analog bars, GOM, outside temperature, others
There are some things some users sometimes wants to know: charge %, battery pack temperature

Battery pack temperature is in the sometimes class of information. As most driving is commuting, temperature doesn't matter much at all.

I do see the point to minimizing information. The less information the driver is presented with the better, unless this leaves out information that is needed.

I

There are people that want to know how stuff works, and others that don't. The auto industry is doing it's utmost to cater to the latter who other than putting gas or plugging in their car - have never read an owners manual. To that point, I was in Vegas two weeks ago and had to show a 30-something woman how to work a gas pump (she was probably from Oregon).

I think that as drivers care less about their cars, their limits, and situational awareness, they become road hazards. Perhaps self driving cars are the necessary next step in public safety.

WetEV said:
If the battery pack is at 60C, I'm getting close to a safety problem. And I'm surely past the temperature for a reliability problem. if I don't get the cool the pack down very soon I'm looking at a very expensive pack replacement. And I'm likely looking at a lot of capacity loss. I'd hope that this sort of temperature generates a useful alarm.

Battery pack temperature is in the sometimes class of information. As most driving is commuting, temperature doesn't matter much at all

Hi WetEV,

Unfortunately, battery pack temperature isn't currently available for review via your Instrument cluster or your myChevrolet app. However, I'd like to let you know that I have brought your comments to the attention of one of my internal representatives for consideration/review.

If you have further questions/concerns, please let me know.

Kindly,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back