Motor Speculation: 180 hp / 325 lb-ft

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomit

I was genuinely surprised to hear of sub 7 second 0-60 acceleration times at the Bolt EV announcement at CES. I fully expected the Bolt EV motor to be nearly the same as the one in the Spark EV. The 2015 Spark EV motor puts out 140 hp / 327 lb-ft propelling that 2866 lb vehicle to 60 in about 7.2 sec. Assuming the Bolt EV weights 3500 lb, I expected the same motor would propel it to 60 mph in 8.4 sec, which happens to be about the same as the Volt. That's not quick, by any standard, but fast enough for the average driver.

Accelerating a 3500 lb Bolt EV to 60 in less than 7 seconds requires about 30% more horsepower than the Spark EV motor provides. I'm guessing the motor specs will be 180 hp (134 kW) and 325 lb-ft.

For reference, the RWD Model S 70, weights 4650 lb and uses a 315 hp / 325 lb-ft motor to hit 60 in 5.5 seconds.

Looks like it'll be 200 hp / 266 lb-ft. I'm guessing they traded some torque for horsepower because a 200 hp car makes for better marketing. It might also help with the acceleration times at highway speeds.

Interesting that the motor is so much different than the Spark EV - more horsepower and less torque in a bigger vehicle.

Seems like everyone who test drives it likes it though! Even a sports car magazine thought it was 'fun to drive'.

Back