Motor Trend demo'ed their Bolt EV test car

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomit

Motor Trend had their Bolt EV at an EV event on Saturday and gave a ride to an OC Tesla Club member, Dennis Pascual. Here's a link to his Periscope videos.

https://www.periscope.tv/dennis_p/1djGXYoXbzVJZ

I recognize the demo driver as Kim Reynolds, the Testing Director at Motor Trend. So as expected, the auto press now have cars undergoing tests. They are likely obligated to wait until after a GM-mandated embargo date to release their views and test results. I'd expect that to be within 2-4 weeks or so.

NeilBlanchard said:
Thanks - they mention that it coasts in D when you lift your foot. This is excellent news!
I wouldn't read too much into that offhand comment. My expectation is that lifting your foot from the accelerator in "D" mode will apply a modest amount of regen to slow the car so as to simulate the similar effect you get from engine compression in an ICE vehicle.

NeilBlanchard said:
Sean, that's what I am afraid of. If it is true free-wheel coasting, I will be very happy, though.
Well, that's what "Neutral" is for. As long as you can shift directly to N from D - the shift knob shows "P" in between them which suggests that might not be possible.

From what I have read, in "D" it will give normal regeneration (like a Volt, and like an ICE car). In "L" it will give the one-foot operation that some EV driver think is desirable.

Personally I like the conventional car feeling and will use "D"

michael said:
From what I have read, in "D" it will give normal regeneration (like a Volt, and like an ICE car). In "L" it will give the one-foot operation that some EV driver think is desirable.

If the 'paddles' work the same in both 'D' and 'L' modes (and behavior is well thought out), I expect a lot of people will switch to driving in 'D', with aggressive paddle use for those that are regen-freaks (like me).

(But maybe I don't understand the 'paddle' functionality, being as I haven't driven one yet.)

SparkE said:
michael said:

If the 'paddles' work the same in both 'D' and 'L' modes (and behavior is well thought out), I expect a lot of people will switch to driving in 'D', with aggressive paddle use for those that are regen-freaks (like me).

(But maybe I don't understand the 'paddle' functionality, being as I haven't driven one yet.)

In most existing EVs (as well as the Volt) you get the same effect simply by lightly applying the brakes. Friction braking doesn't cut in until you are trying to stop faster than regeneration can accomplish. This is called "blended" braking.

Tesla doesn't work this way...when you lift throttle, you get all the regeneration you will ever get. The brakes are strictly friction brakes. A lot of people consider this better, but I don't find it appealing. My understanding is that the Bolt in "L" will work Tesla fashion.

Back