Notification with Car Door Open

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi- whenever I have the ignition on and open the door, there is a Ding Ding Ding notification, I have young kids and regularly have my door open while ignition turned on. Other vehicles do not have this and I have not figured out how to turn it off. Does anyone know how to be able to have ignition on and open the door without this notification? how to turn it off? thanks in advance.

This is usually available in electric cars because so many people simply walk away from their car and forget that it's turned on.

1975 said:
Hi- whenever I have the ignition on and open the door, there is a Ding Ding Ding notification, I have young kids and regularly have my door open while ignition turned on. Other vehicles do not have this and I have not figured out how to turn it off. Does anyone know how to be able to have ignition on and open the door without this notification? how to turn it off? thanks in advance.

Out of curiosity, exactly which vehicles don't do this? The last car I drove that didn't do this was a 1966 VW Combi (i.e., bus).

1975 said:

Looked into this myself on my Bolt. In Settings -> Vehicle -> Comfort and Convenience there is a Chime Volume setting.
There is volume range slider, but it will not let you set the value less than 24. The maximum volume also has a hard stop.
Appears to be software controlled, so maybe some day the capability to turn it off may be possible.

There are many settings to play with in this area: Settings -> Vehicle -> Comfort and Convenience.
While I was there in the settings I turned off that annoying honk that goes off when a door is opened then shut when the keys are in the car.
(i.e. when I run into the store real quick while the spouse waits in the car for me...)

cranial1963 said:
While I was there in the settings I turned off that annoying honk that goes off when a door is opened then shut when the keys are in the car.
(i.e. when I run into the store real quick while the spouse waits in the car for me...)
OOO! Doing that today, thanks!

1975 said:
My Acura and my wife's Toyota Rav 4 does not do this...

Now that I think of it ...

Maybe what I am thinking of is the "you left your keys in the ignition" sound (ding, ding, ding) that activates when the door is opened with keys in ignition, but engine not running. I am now doubting whether or not I am properly remembering : opening the door (and leaving it open) with the engine running MAY not produce a sound on all vehicles, as one would hear the engine running on most ICE vehicles (but not in an electric, which is the point of the noise).

gbobman said:
cranial1963 said:
OOO! Doing that today, thanks!

Before you turn that off, this noise has saved me twice, both similar occasions. One spouse had the key in pocket, the other was going to drive away without having the key. (This happened when one drove up, driver switched to passenger to drop the original driver off, and NEW driver was preparing to leave.) Saved my bacon both times.

SparkE said:
Before you turn that off, this noise has saved me twice, both similar occasions. One spouse had the key in pocket, the other was going to drive away without having the key. (This happened when one drove up, driver switched to passenger to drop the original driver off, and NEW driver was preparing to leave.) Saved my bacon both times.
Well I looked for it and I only have 2 options in that section - and that wasn't one of them.

To my own defense though, I only want the horn alert off since it won't lock the door.

Also, I am no longer married so I don't have to deal with anyone else's behaviors :D

I have the same needs, so I got a small screwdriver about 3 inches long with a shaft thickness of a 1/4 X20 bolt size..
When I have to leave the door open for any reason, I slide the shaft of the tool in the slot where the door latches onto the place where it holds to the doorpost, and push the shaft toward the exterior of the door (like its actually closing),and the ding ding stops coz the car thinks the door is latched!

To undo it so the door can again close, just poke the tool into the little circle that the doorlatch has made with the latching process, HOLD YOUR DOOR OPENER OPEN, (LIKE YOU'RE OPENING THE DOOR) and slide the "tool" towards the inside, opposite that you did to stop the chime, and the circle will open again, and the car will "think" the door is open, and the door can latch when you close it.

Don''t forget to undo this before you try to close the door. Because the door will not, will not, WILL NOT
Close till you do. You'll know coz as soon as the latch opens, you will hear the dingie dingie dingie again.

All this explanation sounds soooo much like it's hard to do, but it takes maybe 3 seconds to accomplish. I was going to put in a doorswitch chime defeat but with the safety system of the car in mind, I decided not to.

Try it, youll love it.. I attached a magnet under the infotainment area where you cannot see without crawling under the dash, and I stick the tool to it when not using it.

Sorry for the long read I wanted everyone including the non-techies to understand.

Back