Priicing next week?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

I finally saw a Bolt in person yesterday at the Alt Car Expo. It looks great.

One of the GM reps there said that pricing will be announced next week. Can't wait.

Geo said:
One of the GM reps there said that pricing will be announced next week. Can't wait.
I fully expect the base model to be $36,999 - but wouldn't it be cool if GM decided to one-up Tesla again and price it at $34,999? :eek:

SeanNelson said:
I fully expect the base model to be $36,999 - but wouldn't it be cool if GM decided to one-up Tesla again and price it at $34,999? :eek:

I get the feeling you may be right. The GM guy didn't firmly say the price and I got the feeling it might be lower.

Geo said:

At $37K, I suspect that GM is already losing their shirt on every one they sell. I suppose that's part of playing in the EV space with Tesla - a competitor that could care less if their cars ever turn a profit.

oilerlord said:
At $37K, I suspect that GM is already losing their shirt on every one they sell. I suppose that's part of playing in the EV space with Tesla - a competitor that could care less if their cars ever turn a profit.

I find this line of reasoning rather ridiculous. If that was the case, then why wouldn't GM price it at $34,999? If you're going to lose money, then at least do it to beat your competitor on price.

GM's overhead and start-up costs are already less than Tesla's in a lot of ways. They have plenty of manufacturing capacity in place, so the capital costs are lower than Tesla (who still has to build an assembly line from scratch). GM has been researching and building EV's since before the EV1 was produced. They successfully created and have been making a profit off of the Volt. They even updated the Volt with better specs last year, which means their R&D is ongoing. The Bolt is simply the next logical step for them. Nothing they've done points to your conclusion.

Geo said:
oilerlord said:

I find this line of reasoning rather ridiculous. If that was the case, then why wouldn't GM price it at $34,999? If you're going to lose money, then at least do it to beat your competitor on price.

GM's overhead and start-up costs are already less than Tesla's in a lot of ways. They have plenty of manufacturing capacity in place, so the capital costs are lower than Tesla (who still has to build an assembly line from scratch). GM has been researching and building EV's since before the EV1 was produced. They successfully created and have been making a profit off of the Volt. They even updated the Volt with better specs last year, which means their R&D is ongoing. The Bolt is simply the next logical step for them. Nothing they've done points to your conclusion.

At this point I suspect that the difference between selling the Bolt (or the Spark, or the Volt) profitably is the tax credits. If they had to bring the Bolt in under $30K retail then I question whether they could sell it profitably. It would be interesting to see a Bill of Materials on this car, especially the part that goes to LG.

https://electrek.co/2016/09/20/chev...ion-reveals-two-trims-starting-at-37500-msrp/

From the article:
"GM reaffirmed the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $37,495 before any EV incentives for the base LT trim. In a press release today, the company makes sure to highlight that “Customers could see value of $29,995 after potential federal tax credit”. The listed price includes destination and freight charges."

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-priced-from-37495-under-30k-with-incentives/

From this article:
"Also available the Premier trim, which includes standard DC fast charging, from $40,905."

2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-pricing.jpg

Unlike the Electrek article, I don't think this $37,495 includes Destination Freight. That might be another $875.

Zoomit said:
http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2016-sep-0920-bolt-pricing.html
And the press release says destination freight IS included in MSRP. This would be a large shift in pricing structure if true. I don't believe it.

For reference, the GM Bolt EV website says destination freight is not included in the MSRP.

Here are the fees for other vehicles:
http://m.chevrolet.com/content/chev...site/en/home/destination-freight-charges.html

The press release is current, and mentions the inclusion of freight and destination charges (twice), so it would be awkward for GM to walk that back. It would be a change, but then the Bolt is a change, so perhaps this was a good time for them to introduce this pricing method. Adding charges that can't be avoided always seemed like shuck and jive pricing to me anyway.

Bolt EV site fine print:
* The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price excludes destination freight charge, tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. Click here to see all Chevrolet vehicles' destination freight charges.
***The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price excludes tax, title, license, dealer fees and optional equipment. Includes destination freight charge and gas guzzler tax.
2 Actual range will vary for many reasons including driving conditions, how you drive, and how you maintain your vehicle.
3 Priced as low as $30,000 after federal tax credit. Net price shown includes the full $7500 tax credit. $37,500 MSRP including DFC with tax credit from $0 up to $7500. * Tax, title, license, dealer fees extra. Actual savings from the federal government depend on your tax situation. Consult your tax professional for details.
2 out of 3 say included in MSRP

DFC (not to be confused with DCFC) is included. The * and *** disclaimers are generic. They aren't referenced on the web page. Go with the press release and disclaimer 3.

Looks like they went with what they promised.

$37,495 for the base model, plus $750 for fast charging.

$41,875 for premier (which includes fast charging)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106177_2017-chevy-bolt-ev-price-electric-car-starts-at-37495-before-incentives-as-promised

Geo said:
Looks like they went with what they promised.

$37,495 for the base model, plus $750 for fast charging.

$41,875 for premier (which includes fast charging)

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106177_2017-chevy-bolt-ev-price-electric-car-starts-at-37495-before-incentives-as-promised
According to insideevs, the Premier trim DOES NOT include DCFC.

Looks like greencarreports did the math wrong on the Premier trim pricing. I think this correct:

Starting MSRP: $40,905
Total MSRP: $41,780 (adds $875 for DFC)

The $750 DCFC, plus any other options (packages, some paint colors, floor mats, etc.), is in addition to the total MSRP.

I just had a call from my local Chevy dealership. They are ordering cars now and expect to see them around the first week of November. The salesperson did not have any pricing info beyond the LT trim, the numbers we have all seen. More coming later today, when he talks with his boss, I am told. Will pass along anything new.

SeanNelson said:
ohboyohboyohboy.... :D

Don't get overexcited or we'll have to put you in the timeout corner! ;)

BTW, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the exterior colors are now posted on the Chevy website. Not sure if they are standard-issue Chevy or Bolt-only body colors.

Back