SoCalif

Re: Bolt self started/moved, and backed into garage wall/cabinet

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

CGameProgrammer wrote:Your horn sounded? My horn has never sounded when closing and locking the doors unless the car detected that something was wrong, such as a key being left inside. Granted I use the door button and not the FOB.

Horn sounded, lights flashed, and the doors locked after a few seconds after exiting. (setting I changed to do this)

EldRick

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 pm

This is really a stretch, but any chance a small pet got accidentally locked in the car?
(It happens all the time, often with similar results)

Farside

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 pm

What was your displayed range when parking and following when the incident happened? Maybe that could help determine if the car was actually off the whole time (no drop in range) or if somehow it did remain powered up.

SoCalif

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:20 pm

EldRick wrote:This is really a stretch, but any chance a small pet got accidentally locked in the car?

I dont believe my 4 lb indoor cat had access to the FOB, but I will ask. ;) No other animals were in the garage that I saw/found/smelled!

SoCalif

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:22 pm

The LOW range was above 130

Farside wrote:What was your displayed range when parking and following when the incident happened? Maybe that could help determine if the car was actually off the whole time (no drop in range) or if somehow it did remain powered up.

Maxters

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 pm

SoCalif wrote:
EldRick wrote:This is really a stretch, but any chance a small pet got accidentally locked in the car?

I dont believe my 4 lb indoor cat had access to the FOB, but I will ask. ;) No other animals were in the garage that I saw/found/smelled!

After watching Secret Lives of Pets, I don't trust them. :roll:

d2170

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:43 pm

SoCalif wrote:Here is a strange one, but seriously happened.

I was out of town (the only driver of the Bolt) I get a call saying there was a crash in the garage.

BOTH keys were out of the vehicle, car self locked and shut down in park from the previous night.

Wife heard a crash, goes to the garage and sees that the car backed up and ran into a work bench pushing in a wall.

granted, hard to believe, but both keys out of the car, she was in the house (no other drivers here), I was 40 miles away, and somehow the car moved????

Insurance called, dealership notified, GM messaged.

Just FYI

If what you described is true I predict you will not be able to resolve this with GM until at least two other owners report the same thing here on this forum.

This is because 1) GM will not believe you, 2) GM will point finger at LG Chem, and LG Chem will point finger at GM, 3) then both companies will point fingers at you.

SoCalif

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm

Probably true, but if there was a way for me to get a copy of the diagnostics, it would PROVE the keys were not in the car, and the car was never unlocked, therefore the car did this on its own somehow, or hacked, or some other anomaly which needs to be addressed.

Lets see how transparent GM is, hopefully a little more than the GVT......

d2170 wrote:

I was out of town (the only driver of the Bolt) I get a call saying there was a crash in the garage.

BOTH keys were out of the vehicle, car self locked and shut down in park from the previous night.

Wife heard a crash, goes to the garage and sees that the car backed up and ran into a work bench pushing in a wall.

granted, hard to believe, but both keys out of the car, she was in the house (no other drivers here), I was 40 miles away, and somehow the car moved????

Just FYI

If what you described is true I predict you will not be able to resolve this with GM until at least two other owners report the same thing here on this forum.

This is because 1) GM will not believe you, 2) GM will point finger at LG Chem, and LG Chem will point finger at GM, 3) then both companies will point fingers at you.

leodoggie

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:09 pm

SoCalif wrote:Probably true, but if there was a way for me to get a copy of the diagnostics, it would PROVE the keys were not in the car, and the car was never unlocked, therefore the car did this on its own somehow, or hacked, or some other anomaly which needs to be addressed.

Lets see how transparent GM is, hopefully a little more than the GVT......

d2170 wrote:

Just FYI

Have GM scheduled a visit yet?

mtndrew1

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

This all seems so implausible.

When you say you left the car and the doors locked automatically, did you verify by pulling a door handle to make sure they were locked? How are you certain they locked? Could the car have chirped to let you know that you shut the door and walked away while it was still running?

The way many of these systems work (FCA, BMW, etc) is that if you attempt to put the car in Park and fail to do so, it reverts to Neutral. This is what killed the young Star Trek actor Anton Yelchin.

Yelchin drove his Grand Cherokee to the top of his sloped driveway and with a shift mechanism similar to the Bolt, he thought he engaged Park. However the car was still either slightly moving while he tried to engage Park (imperceptible) or he failed to fully push the lever towards Park and the system put the car in Neutral. There is no visual or tactile cue that an FCA shifter like this has engaged a gear (much like the Bolt). He then walked down his driveway to get the mail and his Jeep was slowly and silently rolling backwards down the grade without him knowing. The Jeep rolled into him and crushed him against the mailbox. FCA has subsequently changed the Grand Cherokee shifter to a conventional PRNDL arrangement.

Can you try parking your car in the garage, putting it in Neutral (don't switch off the car), shutting the door, and walking away? My hypothesis here is that you didn't fully engage Park, forgot to shut off the car's power switch, shut the door, and then you walked away. The car chirped the horn to alert you of the problem and you assumed it was chirping to tell you the doors were locked. Like the Volt, after a period of time, the Bolt might shut off the ignition by itself if left in a running state unoccupied. The car would now be powered down and in Neutral, allowing for either slight movement or other outside influence, all the while you assumed the door was locked and the car was in Park.

Just a wild-ass guess.

Return to “Technical Discussions”