Bolt self started/moved, and backed into garage wall/cabinet

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leodoggie said:
Power delivery is controlled by Chevrolet’s first Electronic Precision Shift system. This shift and park-by-wire system sends electronic signals to the Bolt EV’s drive unit to manage precise feel and delivery of power and torque, based on drive mode selection and accelerator inputs. A by-wire shifter requires less packaging space than a traditional mechanical shifter, resulting in more interior space and improved interior layout.

Is it possible that the shifter malfunctioned. Although you put it in park it remained in reverse and a power surge from a discharging capacitor or something similar gave it enough power to actually move it in reverse.

IDK, if the power was off, but if it remained in R, wouldnt it be like other cars and roll in the direction of any slope (extremely slowly) ? Which would of been forward??? If there is any sloe, it would of been in a forward direction, this is a garage and I would think it would be an extremely small slope away from the house.

I believe the Bolt has OTA capability, so if GM has your vin number they should be able to access your car's data remotely. That should mean the cause of this malfunction will be ascertained pretty quickly. But will GM be forthcoming with that data analysis to you I wonder.

GM won't voluntarily share any information they consider to be proprietary. As we've seen with other design faults, we'd need to see a number of similar incidents establishing a pattern before the federal agencies become involved and force data disclosures. So far this looks like a one-off incident.

I think we are all hoping that this is a one time occurrence, for obvious reasons, we don't want anyone getting hurt or worse. But anyone who has any experience in electronics and or failure analysis will tell you if it can happens once it can and usually will happen multiple times unfortunately.
We are all rooting for the Bolt to be successful for many reasons, so my wish is that GM doesn't brush this under the carpet like in other instances, but meets it head on and deals with this issue forthwith.

Well yes, but GM dealing with it and disclosure are different matters. If they find a software bug, a fix could be pushed out and we'd probably never know.

roundpeg said:
Well yes, but GM dealing with it and disclosure are different matters. If they find a software bug, a fix could be pushed out and we'd probably never know.

I hope GM is forthcoming, or that the insurance companies possible large liabilities, that the insurance companies force GM to be forthcoming if GM doesnt do so on their own.

SoCalif said:
I hope GM is forthcoming, or that the insurance companies possible large liabilities, that the insurance companies force GM to be forthcoming if GM doesnt do so on their own.

Has anyone from GM or Chevrolet contacted you yet? Hopefully you will keep us all informed as this situation unfolds.

leodoggie said:
SoCalif said:

Has anyone from GM or Chevrolet contacted you yet? Hopefully you will keep us all informed as this situation unfolds.

I called them at 8 this morning, I have a case number, he said they would look into it and possibly get back to me within 3-4 days.

If i hear anything I will update this post.

What was the answer to "Was the Parking Brake set?"
I ask because any ICE car needs to both be in Park (transmission) and have the Parking Brake (actual friction brake) set.

SoCalif said:
leodoggie said:
SoCalif said:

I called them at 8 this morning, I have a case number, he said they would look into it and possibly get back to me within 3-4 days.

If i hear anything I will update this post.

Not quite the answer I would have expected, but I guess it is GM and today is a federal holiday, oh well, c'est la vie.

EldRick said:
I ask because any ICE car needs to both be in Park (transmission) and have the Parking Brake (actual friction brake) set.

I did not press the P (parking brake) button on the left side of the shifter.

I did this

1. Hold the brake pedal down.
2. Press the button on top of the shift lever to shift into P (Park).
3. The P indicator on the shift lever turned red when the vehicle is in P (Park).
4. Turn the vehicle off.
5. Exited vehicle, and the vehicle's horn sounded and the doors locked.

Yeah I was asking about the parking brake, not the park gear in the gearbox. I would think that even if the car went back into gear and got power from the battery that the friction brake would hold it, at least to a point.

Certainly curious to hear what feedback you get. Interesting note, when I get out of the car it does not auto-lock the doors. It does yell at me if I leave the remote in the car. But when I park somewhere, I have to use the remote to lock all the doors, and then I get the horn chirp and lights flashing. I was just going through all the settings on the dash to see if I missed something. Not sure if I did, but I couldn't find anything.

If nothing else, this thread has made me paranoid about making sure the car is all shut down when I exit the car! Thanks for that :).

SoCalif said:
EldRick said:

I did not press the P (parking brake) button on the left side of the shifter.

Something to note is that using the parking brake means pulling the switch up to set the parking brake and pushing the switch down to unset it.

Your horn sounded? My horn has never sounded when closing and locking the doors unless the car detected that something was wrong, such as a key being left inside. Granted I use the door button and not the FOB.

By the way, Park is not the same as the parking brake. The parking brake is the switch to the left of the shifter that you have to pull up.

EldRick said:

It's good practice to set the parking brake but really if parked on level ground it shouldn't be necessary. Being in park alone should be enough to keep the car from rolling. While it's not the best practice, I am sure that many park without specifically setting the parking brake. If that has been the OP's prescribe for years and nothing has happened, then I'd hope for a more thorough explanation than that the parking brake was not engaged.

What I don't understand is why in the Bolt and the Volt the parking brake isn't set automatically when the car is put in park. It's all electronic anyway so why keep the arbutrary separate functionality?

CGameProgrammer said:
Your horn sounded? My horn has never sounded when closing and locking the doors unless the car detected that something was wrong, such as a key being left inside. Granted I use the door button and not the FOB.

By the way, Park is not the same as the parking brake. The parking brake is the switch to the left of the shifter that you have to pull up.

If it's like the Volt (I assume it is) then pressing on the accelerator will automatically cause the parking brake to disengage after a second. So, you don't actually have to release it.

Although but the same token if the car is left on and in gear then if something presses on the accelerator pedal, the parking brake will disengage and it won't be of any help.

Boson said:
Yeah I was asking about the parking brake, not the park gear in the gearbox. I would think that even if the car went back into gear and got power from the battery that the friction brake would hold it, at least to a point.

Certainly curious to hear what feedback you get. Interesting note, when I get out of the car it does not auto-lock the doors. It does yell at me if I leave the remote in the car. But when I park somewhere, I have to use the remote to lock all the doors, and then I get the horn chirp and lights flashing. I was just going through all the settings on the dash to see if I missed something. Not sure if I did, but I couldn't find anything.

If nothing else, this thread has made me paranoid about making sure the car is all shut down when I exit the car! Thanks for that :).

There is a setting which I did that will self lock the vehicle xx seconds after you exit, if the car is off, this is how I set it prior to this happening. I think mine is set to 15 seconds and the car flashes and the horn sounds to let you know it is locked.

Nagorak said:
EldRick said:

It's good practice to set the parking brake but really if parked on level ground it shouldn't be necessary. Being in park alone should be enough to keep the car from rolling. While it's not the best practice, I am sure that many park without specifically setting the parking brake. If that has been the OP's prescribe for years and nothing has happened, then I'd hope for a more thorough explanation than that the parking brake was not engaged.

What I don't understand is why in the Bolt and the Volt the parking brake isn't set automatically when the car is put in park. It's all electronic anyway so why keep the arbutrary separate functionality?

It seems pretty common in Wisconsin to not set the parking brake. Apparently, too many folks have experienced having the parking brake frozen in the winter.

Back