How many actual Bolt owners on this forum?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's 22 owners or lessees so far. Not bad. A nice reality check for all of us wannabes pontificating from the sidelines.

I own a Bolt, or at least I will. In Toronto, I am awaiting delivery, promised for April.

We're up to 26 now. Looking forward to all those real world ownership reports a few months down the road.

26!

Got my Gray Premier last Wednesday.

ATTACH]

Red Premier, Sacramento CA. lease since January 13. Loving it.

Once I got the car, I didn't feel the need to be on the forum so much, but I still look for tips, like... where do I get a good cover?

Leased a metallic blue LT yesterday from Fremont Chevy , it came with a HOV sticker already attached, very useful, got to drive in the HOV lane on 680 on the way home. Love the car.

ScooterCT said:
That's 32 so far. Sounds like March sales numbers might be a happy surprise for GM.

I doubt it. The Bolt is not selling well in my neighborhood. And if they don't sell in Southern California, that's a bad sign. No doubt, GM is already aware.

phil0909 said:
ScooterCT said:
That's 32 so far. Sounds like March sales numbers might be a happy surprise for GM.

I doubt it. The Bolt is not selling well in my neighborhood. And if they don't sell in Southern California, that's a bad sign. No doubt, GM is already aware.

That would explain why GM is diverting cars to Washington state ahead of schedule, and a Colorado dealer was able to do a dealer transfer of Bolts from California.

I have a deposit down for one in Colorado. I can say that while I was at the dealer (it was the first day they had one available for test drives) there was a line roughly 6 people deep waiting for the car. There was also a pretty constant crowd around the floor model. The sales guy I was working with mentioned they had already taken 8 new deposits that morning before I made mine.

He also said they had already exhausted their initial allotment of 10 which seems pretty low to me but I'm not sure how many other dealerships normally start with.

I've had limited contact with him since then but in a couple follow up emails he's mentioned that sales are going 'great'. We have an additional $5000 tax credit for EV's so I'd expect them to do pretty well here.

The Tesla fans over in the M3 Tesla Forum love to point out how "few" Bolts have been sold so far. However, full roll out of the car nationwide won't be until sometime in September. See: http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-state-state-rollout-schedule-general-motors/.

So, considering that GM has only sold the Bolt in 5-6 states so far and hasn't really advertised it at all -- Have you seen a TV or print ad for it specifically? -- I think they are doing pretty well in selling as many Bolts as they have to date.

That said, I think that the Bolt (like all EVs w/o the panache of the Tesla M3) is just a niche car. All of the Bolts sold/leased to date have been sold/leased to early adopters who were already convinced that they wanted a 200+ mile EV car NOW and weren't willing to wait for the other "long distance" EV cars promised later.

Some of us early adopters are and have always been committed to a "green" philosophy, have bought/leased other EVs in the past and have done whatever they can to "save the planet" by avoiding the use of fossil fuels as much as they can.

Others of us, who may more closely represent the larger market, are not so committed to that philosophy, have chosen to buy/lease a Bolt because the car represents a technological advancement, fills a specific transportation need and was available at a reasonable price.

So, it remains to be seen what the broader market appeal of the Bolt will be and we won't really know what that looks like until sales figures come out for the last quarter of this year (Oct-Dec), when the Bolt should be finally be available for sale in every state.

It would help if GM actually starts marketing/advertising the car and educating the population on how well it can function a 2nd car for local transportation needs, while providing a savings in cost of operation via electricity vs gas and the convenience of just plugging it in at night.

I know that there are those here that would argue that Bolt is equally a long distance contender and that there is no reason to limit the use of the Bolt locally.

However, while the Bolt is certainly capable of long distance travel, the available charging network does not currently make that convenient or cost effective. So, IMO, that would NOT be a big selling point to the broader market. More so a negative limitation.

Guess we'll just have to wait until the end of the year what the car buying/leasing population at large thinks.

Back