Winter Tires & Wheels

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does the re-learn process entail on the Bolt?

I have snow tires for my Ford CMax Energi, and there is no process. I simply swap the wheels and the car figures out the new sensors. No interaction necessary from me. These are tires/wheels/sensors that I bought from Tire Rack, already installed, mounted, and balanced.

GetOffYourGas said:
What a needlessly complex process. And you need an expensive tool to do it? There is clearly no need for this, since Ford does it automatically.
Yeah, I totally agree that it could be made simpler. My Prius C also needed a relearn tool and I never understood why.

However, the tool is cheap (around $30.00) and since the alternative is to pay the dealer or a tire shop to do it, or to go without tire pressure readings, I opted for the tool.

SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:
What a needlessly complex process. And you need an expensive tool to do it? There is clearly no need for this, since Ford does it automatically.
Yeah, I totally agree that it could be made simpler. My Prius C also needed a relearn tool and I never understood why.

However, the tool is cheap (around $30.00) and since the alternative is to pay the dealer or a tire shop to do it, or to go without tire pressure readings, I opted for the tool.

I must have been looking at the wrong tool, one listed on the GM site for $968 CND. Where did you see it listed for $30?

My tire guy (local sole proprietor) can do cloned sensors. They cost $75 each, and you don't have to do anything, after swapping tires. The generic sensors are about $40, and the tool is about $30. It takes about 5 minutes, apparently.

So, $190 + 5 minutes twice a year

or $300

WS7 said:
SeanNelson said:

I must have been looking at the wrong tool, one listed on the GM site for $968 CND. Where did you see it listed for $30?
Google "gm tpms relearn tool" several will come up with a range of features and prices.

OK - thanks. I might go with generic sensors, though I see SeanNelson mentioned they might have to be configured with a special tool (not the relearn tool). Will google for a better price on the relearn tool.

Back