Being kept in the dark after engine light got my car to the dealer

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oilerlord said:
Zago said:
or, they couldn't replicate the problem....

I suggest to buy a cheap OBD2 reader and if the light comes on again record the code but do not erase it, take the car to the dealer and have them check it and tell them you have proof of the code...

By the way, a "cheap" OBD2 reader may not work - at least the cheap bluetooth OBD2 reader that works perfectly with my ICE vehicles doesn't work with my EV.

I can't guarantee this one will work for the Bolt either, however others have had success on other EV's with this reader:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-427201-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1491755106&sr=8-8&keywords=obd2+bluetooth

This might be due to the fact that the Mercedes is using a Tesla powertrain, and Tesla doesn't provide any useful info that mere mortals can access via the diagnostic port.

I've been able to use this reader
https://www.amazon.com/LELink-Bluetooth-Energy-OBD-II-Diagnostic/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491820857&sr=8-1&keywords=Lelink

with the EngineLink app on iOS to pull and reset codes on my Bolt. And to get data on the battery and charging system (using some of the Volt PIDs).

I've also been able to use the Carista OBDII & app to pull codes.

Thanks, I'm going to give that one a go. When I imported my B250e, it had to be inspected as part of the import process. The local tech used a high-end Snap-On (brand) diagnostic scanner to read the codes through the OBD2 port - and had no problem doing it. It's still a gamble if I'll be able to access info I'd like to see (such as battery info) but according to the reviews it seems to work with a number of EV's.

Edit: It doesn't support android. I'll try the one from my previous link.

I just used this $10 Bluetooth and the $5 torque app on my phone and tricked the app to think I was connecting to a Volt and it worked for me... I think is relatively cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-OBD2-OBDII-OBD327-EOBD-Scanner-for-TORQUE-APP-ANDROID-/231610121609?hash=item35ed09fd89:g:LrQAAOSwnNBXTxZK

For my work I use this professional tool and my laptop and with this setup I can get a lot more information (from Volt until they add the Bolt).

https://www.autoenginuity.com/wordpress/

I hooked up my ScanGauge II to the Bolt and it can't read much of anything. Ditto when I hooked it up to a RAV4-EV (also a Tesla powertrain). I just get the "Connecting..." message and eventually the display goes blank (powers off) because it can't communicate with the emissions computer. The ScanGague previously worked fine on my 2005 Prius and my 2012 Plug-in Prius, and it works fine on my 2016 Highlander Hybrid, so I know it works properly.

While trying to get the ScanGauge to work on the Bolt, I accidentally entered the wrong bus protocol for it to operate it in and it ended up lighting up the "Check Engine" light. Ooooops. Luckily the EngineLink app and the LELink Bluetooth OBDII reader was able to reset the light without any problems.

2 weeks after I received my new 2017 Bolt the "service transmission" light came on. I did not detect any difference in driving but took it back to the dealer right away. They had the car for 5-6 days and did not come up with any problems and stated by the time I finally received it back that they weren't able to duplicate the problem.
Within 4 days of having it back, the "service transmission" light came on again. I notified the dealer but told them I wasn't interested in dropping it off for a week unless they had some idea what the problem might be and how to fix it.
Today, after a full day of driving it would not allow me to switch out of Park. I could start the car but could not shift into drive or neutral. I had to contact roadside service and have it towed to the dealer. Very difficult to load it onto a flatbed with the parking brake engaged. Feeling very annoyed!

You should've been able to release the parking brake regardless of whether you could shift out of park. Totally separate system and function than that of the transmission. Also, when the electronic shifter refused to shift out of park into reverse or drive, it should still have been able to shift into neutral.

Tell your dealer to read TSB 16-NA-183. This directly addresses your concern :idea:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6,858
Back