Bumpy Ride - Stiff Suspension

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
Very well put, Jack. I think you are probably exactly right.

I second that. I find the handling and ride quality great for this class of car.

It would take $5,000 in forged wheels, or even better, $10,000 carbon fiber wheels to really change the ride.
Not really - $1000-1200 or so (new) for 17.8lb. forged wheels from a Chevy Cruze Eco shaves off 5 lbs/corner, and materially improves the ride on bumpy pavement, aside from the benefits in acceleration, braking, and handling. It takes a lot of thump out of the bump. And they fit hub-centered perfectly.
I'm assuming that if you value handling and performance at all, you've already stashed the OEM tires in the closet for resale, and replaced them with summer (and perhaps winter) tires. For around $60, the Riken Raptor ZR is a great buy at Tire Rack.

I've read through all the posts on this topic because as new Bolt owners (lease), this is the one thing I really don't like about the car. Has anyone successfully fixed this issue to their satisfaction, without having to buy expensive new wheels and tires? Not something I especially want to do, especially since it's a lease.

I find it interesting that there is no consensus that this is actually a problem, that some like the suspension/ride this way. Coming from a Leaf, and before that, decades of Toyotas (most recently a 2004 Prius for 13 years), the ride is uncomfortably jarring, and we've experienced what felt like a momentary loss of control when going over bumpy terrain at normal speeds, especially if it's on a freeway.

Is there any mass movement to let GM know about this?

DavidBFox said:
... the ride is uncomfortably jarring, and we've experienced what felt like a momentary loss of control when going over bumpy terrain at normal speeds, especially if it's on a freeway.

Exactly. This is what this thread is all about.

As far as "mass movement" to put GM on notice? Not in my wildest dreams. GM obviously likes the car just the way they designed it, along with those wonderful seats. Plus there is no clear consensus on any of these issues as it is. So changes to the car are a non-starter as far as GM is concerned.

People vote with their wallets. Bolt will lose this fight in a year of two and will be relegated to 2nd string.

DavidBFox said:
I've read through all the posts on this topic because as new Bolt owners (lease), this is the one thing I really don't like about the car. Has anyone successfully fixed this issue to their satisfaction, without having to buy expensive new wheels and tires? Not something I especially want to do, especially since it's a lease.

I find it interesting that there is no consensus that this is actually a problem, that some like the suspension/ride this way. Coming from a Leaf, and before that, decades of Toyotas (most recently a 2004 Prius for 13 years), the ride is uncomfortably jarring, and we've experienced what felt like a momentary loss of control when going over bumpy terrain at normal speeds, especially if it's on a freeway.

This sums it up for me. I've never liked how Toyota's ride. They are soft, cushy, and sloppy around turns. Definitely not a driver's car. The Leaf is the same way.

I understand why people prefer Toyotas. Just not me. The Bolt was designed by an auto-cross racer. Why are we still surprised that it has a tight sport-tuned suspension?

DavidBFox said:
I find it interesting that there is no consensus that this is actually a problem, that some like the suspension/ride this way.
Suspension design ranges from harsh but with great road feel to soft and mushy with no feedback. Picking a point along the spectrum is a design decision, it's not a "problem". If you don't like the feel of the Bolt then you may be in the wrong car.

SeanNelson said:
DavidBFox said:
I find it interesting that there is no consensus that this is actually a problem, that some like the suspension/ride this way.
Suspension design ranges from harsh but with great road feel to soft and mushy with no feedback. Picking a point along the spectrum is a design decision, it's not a "problem". If you don't like the feel of the Bolt then you may be in the wrong car.

Absolutely correct. The Bolts ride/handling compromise (as well as seat comfort) can easily be determined with a test drive. If it doesn't feel right to you you should not have bought it. Ride and seat comfort are both personal preferences. As has been noted, some people are completely fine with the Bolt on both of these.

It's hard to feel much sympathy for the few folks that continue to complain again and again on this forum about these two issues. Sell your Bolt and buy what ever makes you happy. But you're are not going to convince those of us who like the car that there is anything wrong here.

Ultimately, the question is:

Why would GM design an EV it wants, presumably, to sell all over the world to anyone wanting to put their 5 cents (more like 40 grand) to fight climate change, with only "car enthusiasts" in mind?

I have serious doubt they studied the market as to what the majority of EV-enthused market really wants. The Bolt's front seata and the suspension almost seem on par with Marchionne's "don't buy my car."

It begs to question their motives, market know-how, etc.

My Bolt was sold as soon as I started the test drive in large part due to the feel and handling of the car. When I move the steering wheel I expect something to happen! LOL probably a hold over from my days many years ago driving Porsche 914s with rock hard rear springs and front sway bars. Sounds like the ride that I like is something that offends many people. Ah well to each there own. Maybe Chevy will come out with a softer version for more general consumption in the future.

elpwr said:
[The Bolts ride/handling compromise (as well as seat comfort) can easily be determined with a test drive. If it doesn't feel right to you you should not have bought it. Ride and seat comfort are both personal preferences. As has been noted, some people are completely fine with the Bolt on both of these.But you're are not going to convince those of us who like the car that there is anything wrong here.

Ditto.

When I took the Bolt out for a test drive, I loved the handling. Quick and responsive was my main impression, which remains to this day, and NOT harsh at all. The seats also didn't bother me on the test drive and are still fine to me.

The Bolt's suspension was designed to take into account the car's geometry (length/width), wheelbase, weight, aerodynamics, the wheels/tires (unsprung weight), the tire compound used (the Bolt uses low rolling resistance hard compound tires which induce a harsh feel), carrying capacity and other relevant factors in mind.

Actually wheel size/weight and tire size/weight/compound are reciprocal factors when it comes to suspension; a change in both or either will cause changes in suspension and handling.

So, Chevy will NOT redesign of the suspension, wheels or tires unless a significant alteration in the design of the car requires it.

Any owner who attempts to change the suspension of a car does so at his/her own risk. When you change one thing, you generally change something else that may also require adjustment.

One of the simplest things you can do to change the "feel" of the Bolt's (or any other car's) suspension is to alter the air pressure. If you think it is too stiff/bumpy, you can reduce the air pressure in the tires but you need to do so evenly or the handling characteristics of the car may change.

Too much front air pressure will increase oversteer; too little will increase understeer. Too much rear air pressure will cause understeer; too little rear air pressure causes oversteer.

Also if you reduce the air pressure too much below the factory settings, you'll get TPMS warnings. If the lower setting is more to your liking, you can ignore the low pressure warnings but they will be annoying.

You can also change the type of tires used and go to a normal or soft compound to replace the hard compound low rolling resistance tires used on the car. This will soften the ride BUT will also probably lower "fuel efficiency" and reduce mileage and may also change the handling (oversteer/understeer which can be adjusted w/air pressure).

Something to consider when the 1st set of tires wears out.

Beyond this I would not attempt any other changes to the Bolt's suspension w/o carefully considering the cost and the consequences.

I certainly don't think it's worth buying another set of wheels. A shock change may be possible but I'm not sure what other shocks would fit and how their damper/rebound characteristics would affect the car. If you've got the time & $, you can experiment to find out.

On the other hand, I believe that there are things that Chevy can do to the seats the 2nd time around with too much cost or making any significant changes.

They could widen them and provide better cushioning and side support, which probably would resolve many of the complaints I've read w/o creating additional complaints about them being too soft from people who like them the way there already are.

So, between the 2, I think seat changes are the most likely.

iletric said:
Why would GM design an EV it wants, presumably, to sell all over the world to anyone wanting to put their 5 cents (more like 40 grand) to fight climate change, with only "car enthusiasts" in mind?
Just because you prefer a "land yacht" kind of ride doesn't mean everyone does. I'm no "car enthusiast" but I've been fuel-conscious for 40 years and have always driven small cars, so I'm used to the kind of suspension that the Bolt has.

Yeah, the suspension will turn some people off, but it's fine for many others and IMHO it comes off as being rather self-centered to assume that GM made a mistake because they didn't choose the kind of ride that you prefer.

Don't waste your time sparring with iletric. He's on a continuing crusade to trash the Bolt - and it's getting a little tiresome.

Note: Tire rack now offers lightweight wheels for the Bolt for as little as $59/wheel. No more excuses for running with heavy wheels.

The closeout priced wheels at Tire Rack are for models that have 1 or 2 remaining in stock. I guess you could put a different $49 wheel on each corner :eek:

Maybe silver ones on the front, and gray ones on the back? That is a pretty pitiful selection of actually-available wheels, but anything under $200 qualifies as cheap wheels in my book.
You won't believe what GM gets for the wheels on the Bolt.

Looks like the Tesla Model 3 has also chosen firmer and sportier suspension tuning.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

Motor Trend first drive review said:
What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes.

Drove the Jupiter II a hundred miles yesterday and concentrated on the "problems" with suspension & seats the whole way.
Suspension...? Excellent compromise between absorbing bumps and great feel/handling for a small car packing half a ton of batteries!
Seats...? Firm, supportive, comfortable. I have yet to hear a complaint from a single rider/driver in my car.
The first 4 minutes of my initial test drive told me this.
I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, averaging 40 miles/day, drive an LT, have a Clipper Creek 40 at the house.
To potential buyers:
Be objective about your test drive. Drive for 30 minutes.
If you don't like the car on the test drive, don't buy it. It will not change after you buy it.
This isn't rocket science.
Don't expect sympathy from satisfied Bolt owners because you bought the wrong car and now
want to do nothing but gripe about what an awful car it is. It's not.

boltage said:
Looks like the Tesla Model 3 has also chosen firmer and sportier suspension tuning.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/exclusive-tesla-model-3-first-drive-review/

Motor Trend first drive review said:
What’s blanching, though, is the car’s ride and handling. If anybody was expecting a typical boring electric sedan here, nope. The ride is Alfa Giulia (maybe even Quadrifoglio)–firm, and quickly, I’m carving Stunt Road like a Sochi Olympics giant slalomer, micrometering my swipes at the apexes.

If you don't like the Bolts' ride then you probably shouldn't consider a Model 3. My Tesla Model S has a very firm ride that actually has more impact harshness and coarse surface noise than my Bolt. Bolt has more fore-aft pitching due to the shorter wheelbase. Model S can be unpleasant too, but in slightly different ways.

If the Model 3's suspension is tuned similar to Model S, and with the shorter wheelbase, it will not suit those who are complaining here.

GernBlanston said:
To potential buyers:

Be objective about your test drive. Drive for 30 minutes.

If you don't like the car on the test drive, don't buy it. It will not change after you buy it.

This isn't rocket science.

Don't expect sympathy from satisfied Bolt owners because you bought the wrong car and now want to do nothing but gripe about what an awful car it is.

It's not.

Well said.

Back