Chargepoint and EVGo chargers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MichaelLAX said:
It now occurs to me that if one has the $14.95 per month plan it must relieve the charger from the automatic 30 minute session STOP...
There is no "must" about it. Although it makes perfect sense for them to base the cutoff on the kind of plan you have, in reality they almost certainly have a charger configuration that works the same for everyone.

I'd love to hear different, though...

SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
It now occurs to me that if one has the $14.95 per month plan it must relieve the charger from the automatic 30 minute session STOP...
There is no "must" about it. Although it makes perfect sense for them to base the cutoff on the kind of plan you have, in reality they almost certainly have a charger configuration that works the same for everyone.

Ok, you convinced me not to risk $15 x 12 months! :D

It appears that EVgo has in fact removed the 30 minute timer.

I was charging away in my Toyota RAV4 EV, waiting for the charger to stop, and then I noticed it was past 30 minutes.

Others have noticed this also.

I pay the monthly $14.95, so it might only apply to others who are monthly subscribers.

I have made that "monthly subscriber" supposition earlier in this thread:

I started a recent thread that concluded if you use EVGo for at least one hourly charge per month, it is cheaper to buy their $14.95 per month plan that use their "free" plan and asked anyone to check my math...

It now occurs to me that if one has the $14.95 per month plan it must relieve the charger from the automatic 30 minute session STOP, as now they are only making money on the KWh's being sold. So WHY discourage anyone from charging as long as possible on this plan?

If this is true, there are now TWO GOOD reasons to sign up for the monthly plan with EVGo and I will do just that (even with their 12 month contractual zinger) just to test out these theories in the near future when I have another long ride coming up that will require a DCFC charge at its end.

TonyWilliams said:
I pay the monthly $14.95, so it might only apply to others who are monthly subscribers.
It would be great to get positive confirmation of this, especially in different geographic locations such as CA vs OR.

SeanNelson said:
TonyWilliams said:
It would be great to get positive confirmation of this, especially in different geographic locations such as CA vs OR.

EvGo just posted their charge for my use of one of their chargers near my home in the SF Bay Area 3 days ago.

The amount posted was $12.35, which was $5.95 plus 32 mins x 20 cents/min. So, there was no 30 min limitation on my charging session.

BTW, I think this was an outrageous charge for just 50 miles of additional range. It was a "test" charge to determine the cost and expected range for 30 mins of use.

No way I'd EVER use an EvGo charger again unless I absolutely need to do so to avoid allowing the battery to go dead.

sgt1372 said:
SeanNelson said:
TonyWilliams said:

EvGo just posted their charge for my use of one of their chargers near my home in the SF Bay Area 3 days ago.

The amount posted was $12.35, which was $5.95 plus 32 mins x 20 cents/min. So, there was no 30 min limitation on my charging session.

BTW, I think this was an outrageous charge for just 50 miles of additional range. It was a "test" charge to determine the cost and expected range for 30 mins of use.

No way I'd EVER use an EvGo charger again unless I absolutely need to do so to avoid allowing the battery to go dead.
That is their adviertised "Flex" plan. How can you complain about being charged the amount they advertise in advance?

SeanNelson is looking for confirmation that the On-The-Go plan removes the 30 minute timer. You have the Flex plan, which may have the timer (32 mins).

I just upgraded my plan today to On-The-Go. Maybe this weekend, I will take a little drive up to the Grapevine and back for lunch! ;)

MichaelLAX said:
That is their adviertised "Flex" plan. How can you complain about being charged the amount they advertise in advance?

I wasn't complaining about the charge. It was what I expected based on what was posted on the charger.

I was just pointing out that my charging session was NOT limited to 30 mins -- it went to 32. People wanted some confirmation that EvGo has stopped limiting their charging sessions to 30 mins and I assume that my experience is at least proof of 1 instance when this did not occur.

BTW, this charging station is reported as having a flat fee rate of $9.95 but that obviously is not the case. However, I went ahead w/the charge because it was a "test" on my part to find out exactly how much mileage I could expect from an approximately 30 min charge and for what cost.

I found out and that's why I have no desire to ever use an EvGo charging station again unless I have no other choice.

sgt1372 said:
MichaelLAX said:

I wasn't complaining about the charge. It was what I expected based on what was posted on the charger.

I was just pointing out that my charging session was NOT limited to 30 mins -- it went to 32. People wanted some confirmation that EvGo has stopped limiting their charging sessions to 30 mins and I assume that my experience is at least proof of 1 instance when this did not occur.

BTW, this charging station is reported as having a flat fee rate of $9.95 but that obviously is not the case. However, I went ahead w/the charge because it was a "test" on my part to find out exactly how much mileage I could expect from an approximately 30 min charge and for what cost.

I found out and that's why I have no desire to ever use an EvGo charging station again unless I have no other choice.

I told you ... ;)

What did you tell me?

I upgraded my EVGo account today.

I might take a drive up to the Grapevine for lunch and stop at the EVGo at Newhall Ranch for a charge on the way back to give it a test greater than 2 minutes above 30!

I told sgt1372 - the person whose post I was replying to - concerning the italicised text in HIS response.

It's not all about you.

SparkE said:
I told sgt1372 - the person whose post I was replying to - concerning the italicised text in HIS response.

It's not all about you.

SparkE said:
sgt1372 said:
MichaelLAX said:
I told you ... ;)
MichaelLAX said:
What did you tell me?
Easy question to ask under these confusing circumstances; but thanks for the inappropriate insult anyway!

I just don't understand all the antagonism directed at EVGo. I'm grateful there are charging stations AT ALL that I can use when I need them.

I wouldn't use a public charging station except when I NEED to. Half an hour charge to move me another 50-80 miles? Don't need to wait while a bunch of people trickle charge top-off? Sounds good to me!

MichaelLAX said:
SparkE said:

It's not all about you.

SparkE said:
I told you ... ;)
MichaelLAX said:
What did you tell me?
Easy question to ask under these confusing circumstances; but thanks for the inappropriate insult anyway!

See, most people would not ignore the vast majority of the quoted thread (written by somebody else), and focus on the doubly indented one sentence that was theirs. You had to cut out the several paragraphs that were actually replied to, including the quoted text that I had italicised to emphasize that that was what I was replying to, in order to bring your one sentence to prominence. It was insignificant before, and easily ignored.

Well, apparently not for you.

{Edit: Hmmmm, there is apparently an indentation limit in 'quote's !! }

michael said:
I just don't understand all the antagonism directed at EVGo. I'm grateful there are charging stations AT ALL that I can use when I need them.

I wouldn't use a public charging station except when I NEED to. Half an hour charge to move me another 50-80 miles? Don't need to wait while a bunch of people trickle charge top-off? Sounds good to me!

A major difference we're learning about between long and short distance vehicles is the duration of this so called "top-off" - With the Bolt it seems like the "trickle charge top-off" starts to happen at around 50% state of charge. This really, really changes the fast charging picture. At some point, the high capacity chargers stop making sense - Where and how that happens will remain to be seen, since we're in all new territory.

Now, I believe I know the root of the antagonism - that half hour on the charger? It might not get you that 50-80 miles that you need, let alone paid for, hence the hard feelings. A lot of people believe that you should be charged for the amount of energy delivered, like is commonplace with gasoline, dried beans, and other commodities. It's also true that EVgo is honoring their policy of charging a flat rate for an amount of time at a charger, which, in some cases is a good value for the customer, and in other cases, is a terrible fleecing, and control over that "value" is largely arbitrary, or worse, tipped in favor of one class of customers versus another. This is the policy, and even though it's not written on the chargers, it is what it is, and they are sticking to it. Unfortunately, there are lots of official policies out there that are BAD for the customers, and this, in my opinion, and apparently others, is one of those BAD policies. Of course EVgo states that this is to encourage high throughput on their stations, and this may be true, but it would be interesting to compare data with many of the other stations from different vendors that DO charge by the kWh without time limits. This data has of course just become relevant with the wide release of a large battery vehicle, so we literally will have to wait and see. Thankfully, there are other, although fewer stations that DO charge by energy delivered, and those who like that policy should preferentially use those stations. If this ends up impacting EVgo, then perhaps they will revisit their policy.

SparkE said:
See, most people would not ignore the vast majority of the quoted thread (written by somebody else), and focus on the doubly indented one sentence that was theirs. You had to cut out the several paragraphs that were actually replied to, including the quoted text that I had italicised to emphasize that that was what I was replying to, in order to bring your one sentence to prominence. It was insignificant before, and easily ignored.

Well, apparently not for you.

{Edit: Hmmmm, there is apparently an indentation limit in 'quote's !! }
I guess you just are going to keep banging on this dead horse no matter how I try to explain to you why I thought you were talking to me.

Your insistence on explaining to me why you were not talking to me does not justify your continuing insults to me ("It's not all about you"; "most people would not ignore..."); especially since you appear to hold a position of authority on this forum.

I got it! When you said: "I told you ... ;)" you were not talking to me.

Why don't you just let it go?

I will let you have the last word...

SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:

Congratulations, Sean, your supposition appears to be correct!

I drove off 100 miles last night and did not charge up. Today I drove up to the Flying J Truck Stop in Frazier Park, about 57 miles (163.1 miles total) at the top of the south end of the Grapevine. I had 25 Miles Remaining on the gauge and Energy Used of 53.7KWh and a return trip to the EVGo in Newhall Ranch of 36 miles.

I expected that I could make it as most of that trip is downhill, but just to be safe, I charged up at the 14-50 outlet at the Shorepower for about 45 minutes to get up to 34 miles on the Mileage Gauge.

When I arrived at the Bridgeport Marketplace in Newhall Ranch, the Mileage Gauge said I had 30 Miles left, I had used 57.6 KWh and gone a total of 202.3 miles (the Apple Maps Nav took me a little out of the way and I had to retrace my steps at the end for the extra couple of miles).

I had to call EVGo as the DCFC/CCS DC-2 RFiD reader did not work with my newly provided EVGo card (same as my experience last month with the DC-1 and my old card) and the tech support rep assured me that with the On-The-Go plan I had there was no 30 minute timer.

As the charger started, the dash guage said I had 11% charge.

I walked about a half mile to a restaurant at the other end of the marketplace to eat dinner and starting checking the MyChevrolet app for progress. It stopped charging after 30 minutes!?!

I called EVGo and they told me it was still charging, so I quickly finished my dinner and walked back to my car. There was a Nissan Leaf owner using the Chademo outlet but swore that the DCFC had shut itself off after 30 minutes and she did not touch the CSS outlet which was still connected to my Bolt EV.

The 30 minutes got me up to 107 miles on the gauge.

I called EVGo again and this time the Service Tech told me that the 30 minute timer applies no matter what plan is purchased!

I am speechless!!

[first photo is top-off charging at Flying J in Frazier Park at the southend top of the Grapevine]

[second photo is a bit unsteady panorama photo of dashboard at EVGo arrival in Newhall Ranch]

Attachments

• IMG_4179.JPG
    IMG_4179.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 6,028
  • IMG_4174.JPG
    IMG_4174.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 6,025
I think one disheartening thing is just how slow you actually charge at these "fast chargers". A Tesla with upgraded onboard charger can charge at 50 miles/hour from a 80Amp circuit. That's almost as fast as a Bolt's fast charging. Although it looks like starting from a lower level you do get more like 75 m/hour. If you could actually charge a decent amount in 30 minutes, the shut-off wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Back