Chargepoint and EVGo chargers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
michael said:
I don't think wireless charging will be less expensive but rather more expensive

The big expense is bringing power to the parking spot. Once that's done installing an evse is cheap and easy. Putting in whatever under-pavement stuff is needed is even more expensive

Plus the fact that all cars will work plugged in and whose to say how many will be wireless equipped

Right - wireless is (much?) less efficient - so you use (much?) more electricity AND it takes longer to charge wirelessly.
Feel free to take out those question marks.

From the Wikipedia article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging) " Magne Charge vehicle recharger system employs high-frequency induction to deliver high power at an efficiency of 86% (6.6 kW power delivery from a 7.68 kW power draw)...Magne Charge, a largely obsolete inductive charging system, also known as J1773, used to charge battery electric vehicles (BEV) formerly made by General Motors."

Most wireless charging, when finalized by a standards board, significantly lower their efficiency to account for variability (i.e., compatibility). Even if it hits 80%, I would realistically consider that a "much" less efficient delivery. Especially if the wireless charger does not come in direct contact with the vehicle. Qi and such come in very close proximity.

And I'd still love to have it.

NeilBlanchard said:
I think the way wireless charging should be used - is while driving on the highway.

THAT would be very useful!
No argument from me. That would eliminate the lugging around of all those explosive chemical cells and really reduce the weight. Although going on dirt roads will be hindered a bit.

Back