Chargepoint and EVGo chargers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EldRick said:
I dropped a note on their site telling them that I will not use their chargers until they drop the 30 minute nonsense.
Has anyone else taken the trouble?

EVGo dropped the 30 minute restriction for Bolts specifically...if you're renting the Bolt from Maven. If they can do that, I don't see why they can't lift the restriction for Bolts, period.

HotPotato said:
EldRick said:
I dropped a note on their site telling them that I will not use their chargers until they drop the 30 minute nonsense.
Has anyone else taken the trouble?

EVGo dropped the 30 minute restriction for Bolts specifically...if you're renting the Bolt from Maven. If they can do that, I don't see why they can't lift the restriction for Bolts, period.

There was NO 30 min limit when I did a test charge using an EvGO DCFC charger. Total elapsed time was 32 mins and there was no auto shut off. I had to terminate the session myself.

this 32 minute session seems to be a fluke. I have a monthly membership and every time since your 32 minute session, the 30 minute timer kicked in.

Try it again and see!

MichaelLAX said:
this 32 minute session seems to be a fluke. I have a monthly membership and every time since your 32 minute session, the 30 minute timer kicked in.

Try it again and see!

Ha! That's not going to happen.

Never going to use a DCFC again (EvGo) or otherwise unless my battery is going to go dead unless I do and I'm NEVER going to let that happen.

I didn't think so, but you continue to say here one experience as evidence that they have lifted the 30 minute timer.

I got a 45 or 46 minute continuous charge out of an EvGo on March 25. I was confused since I do not have a membership. I called the number on the box to get the "one time activation" for $9.95.

On my return trip, I learned something new.
There are two pricing schemes.

One: $9.95 for up to 30 minutes with auto shut off.

Two: $5.95 activation plus $0.20 per minute.

You apparently can have either. Ask next time.
I guess on my first time the woman on the phone accidently gave me option Two, which was good, because I wanted / needed 45 minutes.

The plans are similar but for exactly 30 minutes the auto shut off is cheaper. 30 minutes on plan two would cost $11.95. ($5.95 + $6.00)

But, an hour on plan two costs $5.95 + $12 = $17.95
Plus the bonus you can walk away for an hour.
Two 30 minute cycles will cost you $19.90.

EVGo not so bad, if they roll out this pricing policy system wide. I admit. I was confused. I still like Chargepoint better. Paying per kWh just like at home, makes more sense to me. As your battery tapers, your price per minute tapers. I like that. Because I like to drive long intervals. And I like to/need to charge to over 90% regularly.

However, if you want to discourage people from charging past 80% to get more cars throughput, the EVGo model makes more sense.

MichaelLAX said:
I didn't think so, but you continue to say here one experience as evidence that they have lifted the 30 minute timer.

My experience is a data point of one BUT others have also said that they have had longer can 30 min sessions on EvGo chargers. See above.

gpsman said:
On my return trip, I learned something new.
There are two pricing schemes.

One: $9.95 for up to 30 minutes with auto shut off.

Two: $5.95 activation plus $0.20 per minute.

You apparently can have either. Ask next time.
I guess on my first time the woman on the phone accidently gave me option Two, which was good, because I wanted / needed 45 minutes.

My sole EvGo experience was under Plan 2 but, as a non-member, I wasn't given a choice as to which.

sgt1372 said:
MichaelLAX said:

My experience is a data point of one BUT others have also said that they have had longer can 30 min sessions on EvGo chargers. See above.
Here is the problem with your giving advice that the 30 minute timer no longer exists based upon your anecdotal 32 minute experience which you have stated you refuse to repeat:

If your advice is incorrect information and someone relies on it, they will do so at a tremendous inconvenience to their recharging experience.

Yet, if my advice is incorrect information (that the 30 minute timer continues) and someone relies on my incorrect advice, they will be much less inconvenienced until such time as EVGo sorts out this problem and publicizes their solution.

MichaelLAX said:
Here is the problem with your giving advice that the 30 minute timer no longer exists based upon your anecdotal 32 minute experience which you have stated you refuse to repeat:

If your advice is incorrect information and someone relies on it, they will do so at a tremendous inconvenience to their recharging experience.

Yet, if my advice is incorrect information (that the 30 minute timer continues) and someone relies on my incorrect advice, they will be much less inconvenienced until such time as EVGo sorts out this problem and publicizes their solution.

What's your problem, Michael?

I am NOT giving anyone advice. I am only pointing out my experience which was CONFIRMED as a possibility above, given that there are apparently 2 different data plans being used.

Anyone reading this thread will see that it is possible to have 2 different experiences when using an EvGo charger which may or may not be limited to a 30 minute session. NO ONE is being deceived or misled by anything I've said.

If they need more than 30 mins of charge, they can go back to the charger to see if it has stopped or not and, if not (like it did not in my case) they can just let it go on but, if it has stopped, they can just start it up again.

NO BIG DEAL!!!

MichaelLAX said:
I've been following this discussion and I view each of these reports as a data point, not as advice.

sgt1372 said:

I am NOT giving anyone advice. I am only pointing out my experience which was CONFIRMED as a possibility above, given that there are apparently 2 different data plans being used.

Anyone reading this thread will see that it is possible to have 2 different experiences when using an EvGo charger which may or may not be limited to a 30 minute session. NO ONE is being deceived or misled by anything I've said.

If they need more than 30 mins of charge, they can go back to the charger to see if it has stopped or not and, if not (like it did not in my case) they can just let it go on but, if it has stopped, they can just start it up again.

NO BIG DEAL!!!
I think you need to chill...

My "problem" (your word, not mine) is that you take one anecdotal experience of 32 minutes, which you refuse to even attempt to repeat, as evidence that an EVGo charge had no 30 minute timer.

Let's look at some examples of your words, which after all, is what others here will read (whether you consider it advice or not):
OBTW, there was NO automatic cutoff at 30 mins during my charging session which went a little over that. When I pushed the "stop" button, the charger estimated that it would still take 35 mins to fully charge the Bolt and there was no indication that the charger was going to turn itself off.
PS: There was no 30 min time limit on the session.
I just do not understand why you continue to bang the drum about this one time anomaly that you refuse to attempt to repeat to see if it was a quirk or not. 32 minutes is proof of nothing as it relates to a 30 minute timer. At best, it is misleading...

To the extent that my use of the word "advice" got the issue off track, I withdraw the use of that word.

MichaelLAX said:
sgt1372 said:

NO BIG DEAL!!!
I think you need to chill...

My "problem" (your word, not mine) is that you take one anecdotal experience of 32 minutes, which you refuse to even attempt to repeat, as evidence that an EVGo charge had no 30 minute timer.

Let's look at some examples of your words, which after all, is what others here will read (whether you consider it advice or not):
OBTW, there was NO automatic cutoff at 30 mins during my charging session which went a little over that. When I pushed the "stop" button, the charger estimated that it would still take 35 mins to fully charge the Bolt and there was no indication that the charger was going to turn itself off.
PS: There was no 30 min time limit on the session.
I just do not understand why you continue to bang the drum about this one time anomaly that you refuse to attempt to repeat to see if it was a quirk or not. 32 minutes is proof of nothing as it relates to a 30 minute timer. At best, it is misleading...

To the extent that my use of the word "advice" got the issue off track, I withdraw the use of that word.

MichaelLAX, he didn't claim that this was the way EVgo operated for everyone, he simply talked about his experience, which he made very clear was just once, and it was his personal experience. You are reading way too much into this. Chill.

SparkE said:
MichaelLAX, he didn't claim that this was the way EVgo operated for everyone --NOTE: I never said he made this claim!

, he simply talked about his experience, which he made very clear was just once, and it was his personal experience. You are reading way too much into this. Chill.
I did chill: it was about the sixth time that he raised this experience as confirmation that EVGo no longer had a 30 minute timer on that experience that I spoke up. We got it the first five times... And the sixth time was an irrelevant response to renting Bolts from Maven!

Enough (of a meaningless anecdotal quirk) is enough!

sgt1372 said:
HotPotato said:

There was NO 30 min limit when I did a test charge using an EvGO DCFC charger. Total elapsed time was 32 mins and there was no auto shut off. I had to terminate the session myself.

EVGo may not allow more than 30 minutes sessions at ALL locations.

They FOR SURE allow longer than 30 minute charging sessions at SOME locations.

I can assure you, if you are at a location that allows "per minute" charging fee structure, you have no time limit.

This may not be determined by EVGo.
This MAY be determined by the property owner, for example.

I have continously charged for 45 minutes once at an EVGo. I have continously charged for 35 minutes at an EVGo. Both times were "single use" since I have no plan or account with them. (I will probably use them 6 times per year.)

MichaelLAX said:
SparkE said:
MichaelLAX, he didn't claim that this was the way EVgo operated for everyone --NOTE: I never said he made this claim!

, he simply talked about his experience, which he made very clear was just once, and it was his personal experience. You are reading way too much into this. Chill.
I did chill: it was about the sixth time that he raised this experience as confirmation that EVGo no longer had a 30 minute timer on that experience that I spoke up. We got it the first five times... And the sixth time was an irrelevant response to renting Bolts from Maven!

Enough (of a meaningless anecdotal quirk) is enough!

sgt1372 said:
HotPotato said:

I don't recall him EVER claiming that EVgo had dropped the 30 minutes restriction. All he said was THAT THE ONE TIME HE DID IT there was no 30 minute limit. And that is all I remember him saying about it - including your quote of his, above.

SparkE said:
I don't recall him EVER claiming that EVgo had dropped the 30 minutes restriction. All he said was THAT THE ONE TIME HE DID IT there was no 30 minute limit. And that is all I remember him saying about it - including your quote of his, above.
"EVER" in all caps -- REALLY?!?

Once again you attribute a "claim" to me and then attempt to rebut it. I NEVER claimed that he said that EVGo had dropped the 30 minutes restriction! I said:

...as confirmation that EVGo no longer had a 30 minute timer on that experience...

And even though he refused to go back to that DCFC to reconfirm that experience, he fails to inform us as to its location, so others can make the attempt to see if 32 minutes was a mere fluke!

gpsman said:

I can assure you, if you are at a location that allows "per minute" charging fee structure, you have no time limit.

I have continously charged for 45 minutes once at an EVGo. I have continously charged for 35 minutes at an EVGo. Both times were "single use" since I have no plan or account with them. (I will probably use them 6 times per year.)

Funny how @michaelLAX has chosen to ignore this comment by @gpsman but has ranted on at length complaining about how often I have commented about my 32 min experience using an EvGo charger.

So, there is at least 1 other person who has used an EvGo charger for more than 30 mins at one time and I am vindicated. Let's just hope that @michaelLAX can resist ranting on further about this and just let it go.

Fact is, it IS possible to have a more than 30 min session on an EvGo charger.

Under exactly what conditions this can happen are unclear but both @gpsman and I experienced this as "single-use" events w/o a EvGo account.

So, if you need more than a 30 min charge from an EvGo charger and assume or are worried (as @michaelLAX think) that the session will be cut off at 30 mins, all you need to do is sit in the car for (or come back after) 30 mins has passed to see if the charger is still charging or not.

If not, start the session again to get another 30 min charge. On the other hand, if the charger is still charging, you can probably presume that the charger will continue charging until the car is fully charged or until you terminate the charging session manually.

Simple as that. :)

sgt1372 said:
gpsman said:

Funny how @michaelLAX has chosen to ignore this comment by @gpsman but has ranted on at length complaining about how often I have commented about my 32 min experience using an EvGo charger.

So, there is at least 1 other person who has used an EvGo charger for more than 30 mins at one time and I am vindicated. Let's just hope that @michaelLAX can resist ranting on further about this and just let it go.

Fact is, it IS possible to have a more than 30 min session on an EvGo charger.

Under exactly what conditions this can happen are unclear but both @gpsman and I experienced this as "single-use" events w/o a EvGo account.

So, if you need more than a 30 min charge from an EvGo charger and assume or are worried (as @michaelLAX think) that the session will be cut off at 30 mins, all you need to do is sit in the car for (or come back after) 30 mins has passed to see if the charger is still charging or not.

If not, start the session again to get another 30 min charge. On the other hand, if the charger is still charging, you can probably presume that the charger will continue charging until the car is fully charged or until you terminate the charging session manually.

Simple as that. :)
Do you know if those who were able to charge for more than 30 minutes all had the EVgo On-The-Go plan to activate the charging session?

sgt1372 said:
... and I am vindicated.
Funny how @sgt1372 has chosen to go on and on and on about his single 32 min experience using an unidentified EvGo charger and can't seem to let it go?

Notice how @gpsman made his comment once?

"Ranting" is in the mind of the beholder!

Back