Driving LA to San Francisco

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nagorak said:
I hope over time there's either some sort of consolidation, or the charging station companies get together to have some sort of universal pass. It's a bit irritating to have 3-4 different accounts just in case you encounter a certain company's charger.

Only 3-4?
Chargepoint Blink EVgo AV Greenlots Semicharge Plugshare and at least one more.

I guess I was thinking that not all of the companies are in all areas, but you're right if you want full coverage is even more in total.

According to Apple Maps, North Hollywood to Paso Robles via I5 to CA-46 to US-101 is approximately 196 miles and takes 2 hours and 58 minutes. If you just go via 101 the entire way it's 207 miles and takes 3 hours and 18 minutes. There seems to be more DCFS stations along 101 than along I-5, and more conveniently located, too.

Just to be clear, today there are two routes available that allow travel via CCS DCFC between LA and SF: 101 and 99. I-5 does not yet allow it.

devbolt said:
According to Apple Maps, North Hollywood to Paso Robles via I5 to CA-46 to US-101 is approximately 196 miles and takes 2 hours and 58 minutes. If you just go via 101 the entire way it's 207 miles and takes 3 hours and 18 minutes. There seems to be more DCFS stations along 101 than along I-5, and more conveniently located, too.
I am not sure where I made the error that the 101 route was 40 miles longer than the I-5 to Hiway-46 route.

Indeed if 101 direct is only 11 miles longer and 20 minutes longer, I would have to agree that the safer approach would be to take 101 direct.

In my case, I just enjoy the I-5 route and shorter times/distances and will make the trip that way to Santa Cruz this Thursday.

Drivers of the 5 are A-holes as a general rule.
I hate hate hate the 5.

You have constant strings of several trucks in a row in the right lane doing 55 mph.

You have A-holes on the left trying to go 85 mph or more.

Then you have a truck governed at 56 mph trying to pass those going 55 and it creates a log jam for 10 minutes.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE 65 mph or 70 mph.

I've taken this route many times and no more will I put up with it.

101 is MUCH MUCH MUCH more pleasant.

Avoid the 5 like the plague.
Unless now with an EV you are content with 55 mph and no climate control. Then you will probably get 275 miles per charge and can make it. The lower speeds and drafting behind trucks will be awesome for range.

SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
I hate hate hate the 5.

You have constant strings of several trucks in a row in the right lane doing 55 mph.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DRIVE 65 mph or 70 mph.
Sounds like my kind of highway...
Lends itself well to hypermiling!

What SOC is necessary to get from Paso Robles to the charger at Bridgeport Marketplace?

Nagorak said:
What SOC is necessary to get from Paso Robles to the charger at Bridgeport Marketplace?
An 80% charge at the Granary Building's DC Fast Charger got me to the EVGo at Bridgeport Marketplace in Newhall Ranch with an indicated 30 miles remaining on the gauge. I took the Hiway 46 to Interstate 5 route over the Grapevine which is 174 miles.

Nagorak said:
Via CA-46E and I-5 to Santa Clarita? Looks like about 175 miles. I'd say 100% the first time you drive it, especially with the grapevine climb at the end. I wouldn't be in a hurry.

I drove it already as indicated. After I upgrade my EVGo account to $14.95 monthly, I will probably do it again soon and test out the elimination of the 30 minute timer at Newhall Ranch EVGo with the upgraded plan.

Back