Elon Musk says Tesla Model 3 will be cheaper than Chevy Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

At the Automotive News World Congress, Elon Musk pointed out the Bolt EV's claimed $30,000 price is after incentives, where the Model 3 is going to be $35,000 before incentives.

Musk points out that Chevy's claimed $30,000 price tag assumes the $7500 federal tax incentive for zero-emissions cars, putting the vehicle's true price at $37,500. The Model 3, Musk insists, will come in at $35,000 before any incentives, meaning buyers will only be on the hook for $27,500. And that's before any additional state-based incentives.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/a24761/musk-tesla-model-3-will-be-cheaper-than-chevy-bolt/

According to Car and Driver, they may not really compete with each other:

If GM can deliver an EV by 2017 that reaches the 200-mile mark, it won’t have any competition. The i3 musters only an EPA-estimated 81 miles and costs $43,350. The next Nissan Leaf will supposedly crack 249 miles, but it’s at least a couple of years away. And the Tesla Model 3—also expected to deliver a 200-mile range and cost $40,000—is banking on both the Gigafactory battery plant and Model X production to run perfectly on schedule

Plus I can haggle with the dealership, use my GM card rebate, and get a decent deal where tesla seems to have a one price policy. If I get the cheapest tesla today, it's still 61K counting fed tax credits and state rebate. I got my new $44K MSRP volt heavily discounted at a year end clearance event for $21K including tax and rebates. So the tesla model 3 would have to be substantially better in overall family usability for me to get one. Ony time will tell whether I'm going to love it, hate it, or tolerate it.

Come on Tesla, show us the prototype, open up the ordering process, and start shipping next month!!!!

Back