Found dried up circle of fluid (no color) on ground...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamaest

I parked my Bolt in my garage like usual, and this morning I saw a small dried up circle of fluid (no color) on ground, under the front drivers side head light.

All the fluid reservoirs appeared to be at the same level as before, and I would think water condensation would not leave a dried circle mark. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I can take a picture if interested.

GetOffYourGas said:
flamaest said:
I would think water condensation would not leave a dried circle mark.

I suppose it could if there was already something on the floor that the water dissolved before it evaporated.

Also, the condensation water doesn't always form on squeaky clean surfaces, or not drip on other car parts on the way down.

Depending on the A/C condensate water can be acidic and mark up/etch concrete. Also if the concrete is new moisture can draw out a powdery substance.

IMAdolt said:
Depending on the A/C condensate water can be acidic and mark up/etch concrete. Also if the concrete is new moisture can draw out a powdery substance.
Since condensate forms on the exterior of the evaporator fins from water vapor in the air, can you explain how it can be acidic? It's certainly not obvious to me how the type of A/C system could affect this.

SeanNelson said:
IMAdolt said:
Since condensate forms on the exterior of the evaporator fins from water vapor in the air, can you explain how it can be acidic? It's certainly not obvious to me how the type of A/C system could affect this.

Not the A/C's fault. Is there a little sulfur in the air? Sulfuric acid can be present in rain, dew, and condensate. Acid rain from your A/C.

SeanNelson said:
IMAdolt said:

I didn't say it was acidic, I said it could be. You're assuming this a/c is just like any a/c on any other car, it's probably not and I don't assume to know exactly how the thing is set up, could there be some kind of heat exchanger involved with the battery TMS coolant? what's the chemical makeup there? you're saying it's can't absorb anything from somewhere other than the fins or that it's basic? Maybe, I don't know and I doubt you do either. Maybe you're thinking acidic condensate is only found in exhaust gas retherm situations, but that's just not true and there's a million ways water can become acidic, hell there's likely some places in this world tap water is acidic or basic enough to etch concrete.

Anyway the fact that it seems to drie up quickly points toward simple water, there's not a lot of fluids these cars can drip and the concrete had some dust/grime or efflorescence on it or it was something like a coffee spill that got driven over or a drip of dirty road water. If it keeps happening try to catch it before it dries up.

Thank you all for your replies. I will get a picture of the dry-spot and try to catch it next time I park.

IMAdolt said:
SeanNelson said:
IMAdolt said:
You're assuming this a/c is just like any a/c on any other car, it's probably not and I don't assume to know exactly how the thing is set up, could there be some kind of heat exchanger involved with the battery TMS coolant? what's the chemical makeup there? you're saying it's can't absorb anything from somewhere other than the fins or that it's basic? Maybe, I don't know and I doubt you do either. Maybe you're thinking acidic condensate is only found in exhaust gas retherm situations, but that's just not true and there's a million ways water can become acidic, hell there's likely some places in this world tap water is acidic or basic enough to etch concrete.
Well I know the basics of how air conditioners work, and they don't "leak" stuff from their innards onto their outtards. So it shouldn't matter what's inside them. I asked the question because I thought there might be something that I was missing, but it doesn't sound like there is.

But perhaps we're just talking at cross purposes. Where I'm coming from is that plain, odorless, tasteless water under a car is usually either from road spray that's dripped down or from the water that gets shed from condensing on the A/C evaporator. So if that describes the OP's "liquid" then there's probably no issue s/he needs to be worried about.

If your coming from the angle that his A/C system might be compromised somehow, then yes - I agree that the "innards" (probably not the refrigerant, but possibly lubricant from the compressor, say) might have gotten mixed with the condensate and in that case the "liquid" on the ground might not be odorless and tasteless.

flamaest said:
I parked my Bolt in my garage like usual, and this morning I saw a small dried up circle of fluid (no color) on ground, under the front drivers side head light.

All the fluid reservoirs appeared to be at the same level as before, and I would think water condensation would not leave a dried circle mark. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I can take a picture if interested.

The neighbor's cat pissing in your garage?

Back