HOV Stickers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt1372

Wow!!!

Just got the CA HOV stickers for my car from my dealer; they pre-ordered them from DMV. I Just have to submit a name change to transfer the HOV certificate to my name after I get my plates. They already paid the $22 application fee. So, I don't have to pay that either.

Gotta give a shout out for my dealer: Capitol Chevrolet in San Jose. Well done!!!!

Update: Just put the HOV stickers on.

You only get one shot at it and I was as careful as I could be; used a level, blue tape and pencil marks to line them up.

Installed one on the right rear fender is little higher -- relative to the rear tail lights -- than the one on the left rear fender but they're centered and straight. Height difference is not that noticeable since they aren't side by side. Set the one on the right side a bit higher because it's next to the rear bumper sticker; putting it lower would made them look too close together.

All in all, looks good. Especially, like the white stickers on the white paint. Ready to rock the HOV lane now. :D

Same here (Capitol Chev). Strange thing is, right after I came home with them, I got an mail from Capitol that they couldn't get the stickers :?

samiam95124 said:
PS. you do know that white cars are not allowed in the HOV lane?

New law....

It won't be April Fools Day for another month and a half - today is "capitalist gullible shopping motivation" day (Feb 14th). And I much prefer the Mar 14 holliday anyhows.

You guys need to put stickers on your car for HOV lanes?

Efffff that.

In Ontario, Canada, we get special plates. Green letters.

I would literally forego the use of an HOV lane if I had to put a damn sticker on my car.

Wookie said:

Efffff that.

I would literally forego the use of an HOV lane if I had to put a damn sticker on my car.

I have always said that special license plates would be a better idea. The stickers are beyond ugly.

Worse, the stupid things are supposed to go rear , both sides, and in the case of PHEV even the front of the car. My guess is they did this for the convenience of the cops. Like they need three stickers to recognize a Leaf? And four to recognize a Volt?

License plates so much nicer

michael said:
Wookie said:

Efffff that.

I have always said that special license plates would be a better idea. The stickers are beyond ugly.

Worse, the stupid things are supposed to go rear , both sides, and in the case of PHEV even the front of the car. My guess is they did this for the convenience of the cops. Like they need three stickers to recognize a Leaf? And four to recognize a Volt?

Agree - but that assumes that once you get the plates you have carpool access pretty much forever. But in the great state of California that would mean the state would have give up some level of control. The state can revoke/change the meaning of a colored sticker. Stickers are easier to design then a new EV license plate. They only wanted so many green stickers in the carpool lane - so how would they do that with plates?

I agree that BEV and zero emission cars should get a plate - not the Plugins - they can have a sticker ;-)

michael said:
My guess is they did this for the convenience of the cops. Like they need three stickers to recognize a Leaf? And four to recognize a Volt?

The stickers on the rear side fenders are mainly for the cop who might pull up on you from one side or the other. There can be HOV lanes on both the left & right side of the roadway.

The sticker(s) on the front and/or rear bumper(s) are for the cameras at toll gates and/or FasTrak lanes. Not sure why EVs need only a rear bumper sticker and hybrids need them front and back.

Stickers are cheaper to make and administer than plates. They also resolve a potential confict for those who already have a handicapped plate. Issuing an HOV plate would require eliminating the handicapped plate and the mandatory use of handicapped placards instead or the issuance of HOV strickers just to people w/handicapped plates on EV/PHEV vehicles.

That would require a major "change" of existing procedures that every bureaucracy abhors and create a lack of uniformity which would also cause administrative unhappiness and confusion.

So, the issuance of HOV plates at least in CA will never happen.

michael said:
Wookie said:

Efffff that.

It's more because the HOV use is temporary and they would see plates as more permanent. I guess they figure you might be able to take the stickers off in the future.

Maxters said:
It's more because the HOV use is temporary and they would see plates as more permanent. I guess they figure you might be able to take the stickers off in the future.

Oh no - if you try to remove them - they self destruct. You have to destroy them to remove then and then use something like GooGone to get rid of the residual that is on the bumper. There are still Prius's running around with yellow stickers for just that reason - PIA to remove.

It might also be a federal thing. Virtually all highway widening projects only add HOV lanes, and virtually all of these are partially or fully funded with federal money, which mandates HOV lanes. The federal DOT requires the states to maintain control over HOV access, with the ability to change/revoke privileges at any time.

Wookie said:

Efffff that.

Problem with special plates is that a lot of people here have personalized plates that they are not inclined to give them up for HOv access. Also, white sticker HOV access supposedly has a sunset, though it keeps getting extended.

devbolt said:
Problem with special plates is that a lot of people here have personalized plates that they are not inclined to give them up for HOv access. Also, white sticker HOV access supposedly has a sunset, though it keeps getting extended.

Yes, there's that too.

sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:

Yes, there's that too.

I don't see why either of these things would be a problem. California already offers a dozen or so different plate designs, all of which can be personalized. No problem adding one more for CAVs. When/if the HOV access sunsets for CAVs, both drivers and police will know it and act accordingly. Whether you use stickers or plates, they'll expire when they expire.

phil0909 said:
sgt1372 said:
devbolt said:

Yes, there's that too.

I don't see why either of these things would be a problem. California already offers a dozen or so different plate designs, all of which can be personalized. No problem adding one more for CAVs. When/if the HOV access sunsets for CAVs, both drivers and police will know it and act accordingly. Whether you use stickers or plates, they'll expire when they expire.

You can only have one type of plate on your car at the same time.

If you own an EV, have a handicap and also have a personalized plate that you've transferred to or bought for the car, only stickers would work for HOV identification and you'd have to use the placard on the mirror for parking in handicapped spaces.

No way to mount a single plate on the car for all 3 purposes

sgt1372 said:

Actually, nothing could be simpler! When the DMV releases the new CAV HOV plate, it can release it in two versions - handicapped, and able-bodied. (ok, you tell me what the opposite of handicapped is). Either version can be personalized, just like the existing dozen or so designs. That is, if the state really feels it is crucial to cater to those handicapped EV owners who just can't live with an impersonal license plate.

'There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?' - Robert F. Kennedy

phil0909 said:
sgt1372 said:

Actually, nothing could be simpler! When the DMV releases the new CAV HOV plate, it can release it in two versions - handicapped, and able-bodied. (ok, you tell me what the opposite of handicapped is). Either version can be personalized, just like the existing dozen or so designs. That is, if the state really feels it is crucial to cater to those handicapped EV owners who just can't live with an impersonal license plate.

'There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?' - Robert F. Kennedy
CA also has a number of plates that help fund specific environmental and social causes. Those plates can be personalized as well. Some of the plates help protect the coast, provide for children's programs, preserve Yosemite, identify veterans, care for the families of firefighters, and the list goes on and on:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/elp/elp

HOV stickers are still the best option for identifying single occupancy cars that can use the HOV Lane.

Leased Jan 3; HOV stickers received Feb 15; where's my $2,500 California rebate? admittedly, I did apply for it later...

Back