HOV Stickers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any advice on HOV sticker placement on the Bolt? Specifically, must they be placed on the black part of the rear and side bumper, or can they be placed slightly above the bumper on the painted metal? One reason for the question is that I think white HOV stickers on painted metal of a white Bolt would look less obtrusive and better than on the black bumper of a white Bolt.

The placement rules are detailed in the package/envelope you get with the stickers (or at least they were when I got mine).

I wasn't asking about general placement. I was asking about very specific placement on the Bolt, and even more specifically a vertical difference of maybe 4-6 inches, tops.

rcrcr said:
Any advice on HOV sticker placement on the Bolt? Specifically, must they be placed on the black part of the rear and side bumper, or can they be placed slightly above the bumper on the painted metal? One reason for the question is that I think white HOV stickers on painted metal of a white Bolt would look less obtrusive and better than on the black bumper of a white Bolt.

I have a blue bolt and put it on the black plastic. Looks nice since the sticker is black and white and almost hides because of the curve of the bottom.

I didn't want it on the blue or as high up.

rcrcr said:

You can stick them on the painted white part of the plastic bumper cover, just above the unpainted black part.

Maxters said:
I have a blue bolt and put it on the black plastic. Looks nice since the sticker is black and white and almost hides because of the curve of the bottom.

I didn't want it on the blue or as high up.

Hello Maxters - Would you be willing to post a photo?

I'd like to stick them on the plastic also, but my concern is they will fall off after a few car washes. Seems like the adhesive would hold a lot tighter - maybe too well - on paint. Do they seem to stick firmly enough for you on the plastic?

I have a while Bolt and just put the sticker on the fenders where required and in the white space between the taillight and lower black "spoiler."

Looks very good, white on white.

rcrcr said:
@sgt1372 Any chance you'd be up for posting a photo or two?

Ok, here are some pics of my stickers. Had to cover the decal #. Too easy to read even from father away. Also had to crop the photos so that the plate that I just got didn't show. Too lazy to use a photo editing program to do that.

17038672_1258357034257846_5439789824997264908_o.jpg

17038915_1258357534257796_4638121480316546534_o.jpg

17016859_1258357314257818_6937385453455575999_o.jpg

Thanks so much for posting. Looks really good.

Although now I am wondering if it might also be a good option to put both stickers (side and rear) lower down on the black part so that they can be at an even height with each other. Wondering if that might look better. (Or not. :p )

rcrcr said:

Although now I am wondering if it might also be a good option to put both stickers (side and rear) lower down on the black part so that they can be at an even height with each other. Wondering if that might look better. (Or not. :p )

I thought about putting the passenger side stickers at the same level in the rear but when I taped them in that position, they looked too crowded together. Do as you please but the way I positioned them looked better to me.

rcrcr said:

Same quandry...

So far, I just haven't installed them... I just carry them in the back.

Sure looks nicer without them!

I think you better contact the dealer, they re-apply for me this week after realizing they had screwed up and the application was rejected.

Thanks for all the replies about the HOV sticker issues, it is true, if you purchase a car in between when the dealer applies and when you purchase and the registration is now in your name, the DMV will reject the application. I bought my car January 10 and my dealer is having to apply again this week for the sticker. Luckily I applied myself two weeks ago so I'm two weeks ahead but still, alot of wasted time due to an absent minded dealer.

Wondering if anyone know if we can drive to DMV in sacramento to wait in line and pick up the sticker ourselves considering the delay in getting the sticker. Thanks

I applied for them myself after I got the license plate. Application mailed Feb. 6, check cashed Feb. 24... still no stickers.

I'm soon going to call and ask if they're lost in the mail, but will give it a couple more days.

MichaelLAX said:
rcrcr said:

Same quandry...

So far, I just haven't installed them... I just carry them in the back.

Sure looks nicer without them!

The fine in California for driving an HOV-eligible vehicle without CAV stickers displayed is $238, which I believe includes the "penalty assessment" fee (additional fees which accompany every ticket in California). Driving a qualifying vehicle without CAV stickers is a violation of CVC 21655.9(b), "driving a low-emission vehicle without required label or decal." Still, this is far less than the normal HOV violation, "improper use of preferential lanes," covered by CVC 21655.5(b), which I believe is a whopping $490, including the penalty assessment.

If you drive across the Golden Gate with no plates and no transponder, it is FREE.

They took out cash lanes a couple years ago.

A few people getting a few free crossings was apparently cheaper on an anual basis than keeping employees and 1 or 2 cash lanes open.

Back