HOV Stickers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michael said:
MichaelLAX said:
Same quandry...

So far, I just haven't installed them... I just carry them in the back.

Sure looks nicer without them!

The fine in California for driving an HOV-eligible vehicle without CAV stickers displayed is $238, which I believe includes the "penalty assessment" fee (additional fees which accompany every ticket in California). Driving a qualifying vehicle without CAV stickers is a violation of CVC 21655.9(b), "driving a low-emission vehicle without required label or decal." ...
That's if:

1) The officer pulls me over for an HOV violation only; and

2) When I pull out my license, registration w/HOV rider attached AND HOV decals, he insists on still giving me the citation!

Do you know if CVC 21655.9(b) incurs a "point" or is it just a "correct, show the judge and pay the fine" violation?

Do you think the situation is complicated any by the fact that I have not yet attached my Vanity plates, still within the 6 months of lease (the registration is, of course, in the glove box)?

gpsman said:
If you drive across the Golden Gate with no plates and no transponder, it is FREE.

They took out cash lanes a couple years ago.

A few people getting a few free crossings was apparently cheaper on an anual basis than keeping employees and 1 or 2 cash lanes open.

No cameras to take photos of license plates to send toll bills or citations to car owners, or charge the account if the plate was registered to it?

I know other bridges have cameras. When I had a transponder that only worked some of the time, it used the license plate to bill the toll.

I think his point is if no transponder and no license plates, even with a camera, it is FREE!

Unless, of course, they send a Highway Patrol cruiser after you!

MichaelLAX said:
I think his point is if no transponder and no license plates, even with a camera, it is FREE!

No, it's still free. The patrolman can confirm your temporary registration is in order and that you are aware of toll requirements. He does not collect tolls at gunpoint.

MichaelLAX said:

My point is: no they won't / can't.

You are painted into a corner.
It is not your fault.
You have no other option.
It is literally free- no penalty ever.
(Golden Gate only)

All other bridges you are expected to use a cash lane if you do not have plates yet.

gpsman said:
MichaelLAX said:

It is not your fault.
(Golden Gate only)

All other bridges you are expected to use a cash lane if you do not have plates yet.

So you are saying that a vehicle with no plates whose owner does not own a transponder can flagrantly use the Golden Gate Bridge toll-free daily!?

In Los Angeles, if you use the Express Lanes on the (-10 or I-110 without a transponder with plates, you will receive a mailed citation with a small fee, if paid promptly with the purchase of a transponder (like I did, and purchased at a discount at CSAA), but also at risk of a real-time citation by the Highway Patrol.

This specific transponder has a switch for setting 3, 2 or 1 vehicle occupants, for determination of toll-fares.

MichaelLAX said:
michael said:
MichaelLAX said:
Same quandry...

So far, I just haven't installed them... I just carry them in the back.

Sure looks nicer without them!

The fine in California for driving an HOV-eligible vehicle without CAV stickers displayed is $238, which I believe includes the "penalty assessment" fee (additional fees which accompany every ticket in California). Driving a qualifying vehicle without CAV stickers is a violation of CVC 21655.9(b), "driving a low-emission vehicle without required label or decal." ...
That's if:

1) The officer pulls me over for an HOV violation only; and

2) When I pull out my license, registration w/HOV rider attached AND HOV decals, he insists on still giving me the citation!

Do you know if CVC 21655.9(b) incurs a "point" or is it just a "correct, show the judge and pay the fine" violation?

Do you think the situation is complicated any by the fact that I have not yet attached my Vanity plates, still within the 6 months of lease (the registration is, of course, in the glove box)?

I don't know about the points, but I believe that once the guy has invested the time to pull someone over across five lanes, he isn't going to be sympathetic to the fact that the driver didn't bother to put on the stickers. I think it's a guaranteed ticket.

Furthermore, maybe the driver is going a little fast or doing something illegal but not a big enough deal that the cop would bother stopping him. Maybe the lack of a sticker is enough to make him decide to turn on the red lights.

I agree, the stickers are stupid looking and ugly, but I don't want to give the cop a reason to pull me over, and I don't want to pay $200+

Finally got my stickers in the mail today!

I applied for them myself (not through the dealer). Application mailed Feb. 6, check cashed Feb. 24.

Letter included with stickers says "Date issued: 2/21/2017". Envelope postmarked March 8. Hmmmm. Oh well; at least they weren't lost in the mail.

RE: Golden Gate
I spent way more time and energy on this than I should have (or should have been required to) so I'm pretty sure almost no one does this. But I'm a curious fellow.

I think if you live outside of the immeadiate SF bay area, this is one easily forgiven & rarely enforced.

The rules are convoluted, vague, posted no where other than the web site, and I had to dig 20 minutes to find what you are "supposed to" do regarding the Golden Gate Bridge and no plates/no transponder.

Basically, you can "pre-pay" at home for 1 to 10 crossings and get a print at home reciept to carry with you to show proof of payment. Pre-payments must be used within 30 days of purchase.

1. It is an honor system. If you buy more than 1, it is only a piece of paper. There is no way for them to deduct crossings from your "bank" if you buy multiple. So I wonder if anyone actually buys more than 1 each 30 days.

2. In part due to this, in 2012 CA state legislation passed a law requiring "expediated registrations" for purchases made at dealers. You are expected to have plates on your new car in less than 30 days.

3. You have 48 hours to pay in person at a walk-in service center AFTER crossing, if cited, without penalty. Notice I said "walk in". Not drive in or drive by. And the Service Center is on Beale Street near pier 30 (near the Bay Bridge) - no where near the Golden Gate. Open M-F 8:30 to 5:30. 9:00 - 1:00 Saturday. Closed Sundays and Holidays. I hear there are other "walk-in" service centers but I have no personal knowledge of any.

4. You have the same time to pay online using vehicle VIN.

MichaelLAX said:
gpsman said:
MichaelLAX said:

It is not your fault.
(Golden Gate only)

So you are saying that a vehicle with no plates whose owner does not own a transponder can flagrantly use the Golden Gate Bridge toll-free daily!?

In Los Angeles, if you use the Express Lanes on the (-10 or I-110 without a transponder with plates, you will receive a mailed citation with a small fee, if paid promptly with the purchase of a transponder (like I did, and purchased at a discount at CSAA), but also at risk of a real-time citation by the Highway Patrol.

This specific transponder has a switch for setting 3, 2 or 1 vehicle occupants, for determination of toll-fares.

gpsman said:
...Basically, you can "pre-pay" at home for 1 to 10 crossings and get a print at home reciept to carry with you to show proof of payment. Pre-payments must be used within 30 days of purchase....
Actually it is illegal in California for anything that is prepaid "at full value" to expire; ironically that law may not apply against the State of California or other governmental entities.

MichaelLAX said:
gpsman said:
...Basically, you can "pre-pay" at home for 1 to 10 crossings and get a print at home reciept to carry with you to show proof of payment. Pre-payments must be used within 30 days of purchase....
Actually it is illegal in California for anything that is prepaid "at full value" to expire; ironically that law may not apply against the State of California or other governmental entities.

That is simply not true. VISA gift cards expire. Legally.

SparkE said:
MichaelLAX said:
gpsman said:

And your source for this misinformation is...?

MichaelLAX said:
SparkE said:
MichaelLAX said:

And your source for this misinformation is...?

Well, the law. You can read about it at this CA govt web site (CA dept of consumer affairs) : http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/s-11.shtml . A pre-paid (gift) VISA card is a "card that can be used with multiple unaffiliated sellers of goods or services".

I suppose to make my point idiot-proof, I should have said "VISA gift cards can expire", but I thought it was clear. Maybe not to all... (the card can expire, but they are not required to, in other words - many do, which is why I don't buy them as gifts).

California Civil Code Section 1749.5(a): "It is unlawful for any person or entity to sell a gift certificate to a purchaser that contains any of the following: (1): An expiration date."

I suppose to make my point idiot-proof, I should have said we are discussing: "Basically, you can "pre-pay" at home for 1 to 10 crossings and get a print at home reciept to carry with you to show proof of payment. Pre-payments must be used within 30 days of purchase...." on the Golden Gate Bridge; not a Visa Gift card!

I stand by my statement that it is improper for the provisions of Ways to Pay number 3 below to provide that they are only valid up to 30 days:

Attachments

• GG bridge.jpg
    GG bridge.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 6,308
A law passed in 2016 will change the California new car temporary registration to include temporary plates instead of just the small paper in the window. This will start in 2019.

michael said:
I agree, the stickers are stupid looking and ugly, but I don't want to give the cop a reason to pull me over, and I don't want to pay $200+
z0ner said:
100% this.
So Friday early afternoon I drove 80 miles east on the I-210 pulling in and out of the HOV lane as traffic warranted it, and sure enough, a CHP motorcycle flew by me on the right and raised my blood pressure!?!

So I decided that it was time to join the mainstream on this issue:

Attachments

• IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 6,255
I had my green stickers in the glove box of my black Volt for the three years I drove the car. Green on black looked ugly to be on other black Volts. My Bolt is silver; any one out there with a sliver Bolt with the white stickers on?

Back