How doI know if I can use this outlet?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AyeJay said:
"Level 3 DCFC" or "DC quick chargers" indeed feed DC electricity directly to the batteries by-passing the on board charger (except for some control functions) usually from a much larger externally mounted unit. These devices are quite expensive to purchase and require way more electrical capacity than a home based 220V, Level 2 unit. That makes a Level 3 DCFC unit cost prohibitive, not practical for residential use.

During Level 1 or 2 EV charging the on board charger in the car receives AC electricity from your EVSE (charging station) then converts the AC electricity from your home into DC via it's inverter and sends that DC to the batteries.

- This was made clear to me when I had an on board charging (OBC) module fail in my KIA Soul EV.
When that happened Level 1&2 charging were inoperative but level 3 DCFC still worked based upon the functions outlined above.

I hope this wasn't too long winded.. ;)

AJ

Your use of the levels 1-3 is common vernacular, but it is wrong. Here is how the SAE defines the levels:

http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf

Notice that AC and DC both have levels 1-3. Level 3 is uncommon in either case. Most DCFC in the states is level 2, but there are plenty of level 1 DC chargers (e.g. those 25kW units installed by BMW).

GetOffYourGas said:
Notice that AC and DC both have levels 1-3. Level 3 is uncommon in either case. Most DCFC in the states is level 2, but there are plenty of level 1 DC chargers (e.g. those 25kW units installed by BMW).

Yeah .. I call those 25kW units: "Not so fast, DC fast chargers" ..

I stand corrected :oops:

I think? ..

AyeJay said:
winterescape said:
For the cost difference between 8 AWG wire and 6 AWG wire ($30 / 50 ft) I would suggest you "future proof" by installing the 50A 6 AWG circuit

Great advice. This is exactly what I did ..
even thought my EVSE is rated at only 32 amps and the circuit breaker is rated at 40 amps.

AJ
Unless you routinely drive 200+ miles per day and need to top off at some point during the day, 32A will be more than enough to charge any EV overnight.
Not sure what future you see where getting an extra 5 miles of range in an hour of charging is a make it or break it factor.

The only exception might be pre-wiring with an empty box on the circuit for a future second EVSE that will load share. That way you would be able to charge 2 EV's and get 300 miles of range between the 2 overnight instead of 250 on a 40A circuit.

AyeJay said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Yeah .. I call those 25kW units: "Not so fast, DC fast chargers" ..

I stand corrected :oops:

I think? ..

No, that sounds about right. I'm glad non of those are around here. Although 50kW isn't exactly blazing either.

GetOffYourGas said:
I'm glad non of those are around here. Although 50kW isn't exactly blazing either.
I actually think those 25kW chargers are fine for destinations like restaurants and/or shopping centers.
They are less expensive and easier to install (some don't require 3 phase electric) for businesses.

I just don't think they are good for people trying to use them for traveling, and unfortunately in some areas (I5 thru Oregon, especially south) a LOT of the only CCS chargers are these 25kW ones..

Better than nothing, but we need faster..

desiv

SmokingRubber said:
desiv said:
The most of Bolt can take is a 32amp device which gets you 25-ish miles in an hour.
Is this a fact? Would I not be able to utilize the full 10kw @ 40 amps off the Juicebox?
No, you can't. The Bolt's onboard charger is limited to 32A, even if the EVSE advertises a higher capacity. At 240V that gives it a maximum charge rate of just about 7.7kW.

desiv said:
It's the limit of the charger built into the Bolt (that's why the external unit is called an EVSE and not a charger; the charger is built in and 7.2kw).

In fact, if you convert 240v and 32 amps to watts, you get 7,680 watts, which is more than the 7.2kw on board charger can do.
(https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/600/how-to-calculate-amps-volts-and-watts.html)

This is probably why a 30 amp isn't significantly different from a 32 amp for miles per hour added..
30 amps on that calculator is 7.2kw..
It's possible that anything over 30 amps isn't getting you any more...
Hmm.. There are people saying they are seeing the full 32amps being pulled when charging, which would imply the 7.2kw charger is more like a 7.6kw charger, which would make sense considering they say 32amps...
desiv

Well, "240V" is not always really 240V. Some houses get 235V, or 230V, or 225V or even lower - often depending on the time of day (how much the neighbors or the stores down the street are pulling). So, if the Bolt has a 7.2 kW built-in charger, with a max draw of 32A, it would be able to charge at the max (7.2 kW) rate even at 225V. And there's loss - the charging doesn't put anywhere near 100% of what you draw out of the wall into the battery.

I would suggest you "future proof" by installing the 50A 6 AWG circuit

6 ga. wire is very costly for more than a few feet, and it is a b**ch to install in an existing home, because it is extremely stiff. You would spend a lot of money pointlessly to use it. 10 ga. will support a 40a circuit for 32a charging, 8ga. is code for 50a and 40a charging. Don't waste your money on an imaginary future need for more juice than future vehicles will likely require.

Instead of going nuts on huge wire, first consider how much amperage you would ever need to charge a current or future car. That car will be as efficient, or most likely more efficient, than the Bolt. The Tesla M3 is a 2018 example which is lower consumption per mile than the Bolt.

Surely 24 miles/hour of charge will be adequate for 99% of home charging situations now and in the future, unless you have a multi-car garage and/or drive hundreds of miles each day. Also, note that the difference between 32a and 40a AC charging (if the car would accept it) is much less than a 20% reduction in charging time, because the rate is sharply limited as the battery fills beyond 60%.

SparkE said:
Well, "240V" is not always really 240V. Some houses get 235V, or 230V, or 225V or even lower - often depending on the time of day (how much the neighbors or the stores down the street are pulling). So, if the Bolt has a 7.2 kW built-in charger, with a max draw of 32A, it would be able to charge at the max (7.2 kW) rate even at 225V. And there's loss - the charging doesn't put anywhere near 100% of what you draw out of the wall into the battery.

I have the ability to connect my OpenEVSE CC at my "solar shed". As I have a dedicated pole transformer and since I've about maxed out my number of PV panels, I routinely see 255 VAC at the inverters - yes it can certainly vary depending upon your situation.

The Bolt onboard charger can draw a maximum of 30A at 240v, 32a at 220.

You need a minimum 40A circuit to meet national electrical code standards, but a 50A circuit would be a better choice.

Or, you can just set the EVSE to charge at a lower rate, such as 24A, which would be slightly easier on the battery at the expense of extending charging time by a bit - you would still get ~20 miles/hour of charging.

EldRick said:
I would suggest you "future proof" by installing the 50A 6 AWG circuit

6 ga. wire is very costly for more than a few feet,

We are talking about a difference in cost of $20 for 50 ft. of 6/3 VS 8/3, for me it was money well invested.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-50-ft-6-3-Stranded-Romex-SIMpull-CU-NM-B-W-G-Wire-63950032/204765156
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-50-ft-8-3-Stranded-Romex-SIMpull-CU-NM-B-W-G-Wire-63949232/204765155

On a related note, remember to file form 8911 with your Federal taxes to take the EV charge station credit if you installed a Level 2 in 2017

Maybe you need a portable charger, like the MAXGREEN charger, there are 16 amp and 32 amp two types. You can bring them in the Bolt, and then you can charge when you need, do not have to go home to charge.

Back