Hyundai Ioniq Numbers Flatten Chevy Bolt, Toyota Prius

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Same size pack, twice as much kWh storage.

If that's the case, AND Hyundai can somehow sell the car for under $40,000, a 200 mile Ioniq would be a sleeper among the EV crowd. In 2022, this could be my next EV. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Yeah, this car will be on my radar screen as well. To be honest I may even look at the 120 mile version...if it ever becomes available.

If the Bolt launches successfully and the Hyundai doesn't, I'm hoping that by Memorial Day Hyundai will have a good lease offer for them. Assuming I haven't fallen in love with the Bolt's firm ride and hard seats, I'll then try to lease one right when my Leaf lease is over. I'd cheerfully pay up to $300 a month for a loaded Ioniq EV with a real world range of 120+ miles.

Right now the Bolt is looking a bit pricey, which is part of why I'm thinking of giving the Ioniq a look. My used Leaf's range is a little bit short (with slightly degraded battery and living in a fairly hilly area I only get 60 real world range). It's fine for around town, but today I had to drive further than it could reach. With the Ioniq clocking in at 120, I expect to get at least 90 in real world usage. But, with the Bolt out there I'm also hoping that they have to price it very competitively.

LeftieBiker said:
If the Bolt launches successfully and the Hyundai doesn't, I'm hoping that by Memorial Day Hyundai will have a good lease offer for them. Assuming I haven't fallen in love with the Bolt's firm ride and hard seats, I'll then try to lease one right when my Leaf lease is over. I'd cheerfully pay up to $300 a month for a loaded Ioniq EV with a real world range of 120+ miles.

Hyundai will have the Ioniq unlimited program in California. Unlimited miles, maintenance, repair, and electricity for one monthly payment. If it cost $300, I'm jumping on that deal.

I don't drive a lot of miles, and don't need free electricity. My Leaf costs me about $25 a month in fuel. I'll take a lower payment and residual, please.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't drive a lot of miles, and don't need free electricity. My Leaf costs me about $25 a month in fuel. I'll take a lower payment and residual, please.

I would just lease a Fiat 500e. Can't beat $59/month. I'll probably ebikes to work.

There is no $59 a month deal for any EV in NY. I also still want a nice car, and often drive 70 miles, so it has to have at least a solid 100 miles range. It would also help if it weren't a combination of two of the worst brands in the world.

Cool. It actually got to 80% charge in only 20 minutes. If you have enough range at that point that would probably be the best time to stop since the charge drops off a lot after that point. 80% charge should still be about 100 mile range which isn't too shabby.

The Ioniq hybrid should steal some Prius sales too. It's a better looking car with better lines and less of the severe aerodynamic styling Toyota did on the Prius. The hybrid's 58 MPG is impressive, and a good option for folks not ready for a EV.

CFqUmiv.jpg

LkWqIdf.jpg

According to Hyundai (actual corporate types - not dealers) at the Portland Auto show:
IONIQ electric is California only in North America for 2017 and should be available in 2-3 months. Hybrid will be 50 States and sometime this summer. No pricing available.

They had an electric on the floor. Seats were comfortable - driver was 6 way power. Sits very similar to the Prius Prime. Not nearly as airy and roomy as the Bolt.

ZhMGNju.jpg

jhCAP1I.jpg

With the Bolt looking like a very expensive way to hurt my back and thighs (and not get to own my car, ever), and now the Ioniq EV a year away in NY, it's starting to look like another Leaf for me. Either I lease a 2016 SV cheap before Spring, lease a 2017 for a lot more (for the same car!), or Nissan offers another lease extension to get me to a Leaf 2...

DucRider said:
According to Hyundai (actual corporate types - not dealers) at the Portland Auto show:
IONIQ electric is California only in North America for 2017 and should be available in 2-3 months. Hybrid will be 50 States and sometime this summer. No pricing available.

They had an electric on the floor. Seats were comfortable - driver was 6 way power. Sits very similar to the Prius Prime. Not nearly as airy and roomy as the Bolt.

I'd be curious to hear info on the plug-in hybrid version. When, what states, and what the all-electric range is. I *may* end up buying a PHEV, but it has to have a min of 30 miles electric range (40 would be better) or I won't buy it (so the Prime is out). It also has to have an efficient, low-emission gas engine (unlike the i3).

SparkE said:
DucRider said:

I'd be curious to hear info on the plug-in hybrid version. When, what states, and what the all-electric range is. I *may* end up buying a PHEV, but it has to have a min of 30 miles electric range (40 would be better) or I won't buy it (so the Prime is out). It also has to have an efficient, low-emission gas engine (unlike the i3).
Plug-in Hybrid is likely a year or more to actual deliveries

Yeah, their web site says "coming next summer" about the PHEV (compared to "this winter" on the BEV and 'regular' hybrid). I was hoping that the 'corporate types' might have said something a little more definite.

LeftieBiker said:
With the Bolt looking like a very expensive way to hurt my back and thighs (and not get to own my car, ever), and now the Ioniq EV a year away in NY, it's starting to look like another Leaf for me. Either I lease a 2016 SV cheap before Spring, lease a 2017 for a lot more (for the same car!), or Nissan offers another lease extension to get me to a Leaf 2...
There will be a few prototypes of an updated LEAF floating around in the July time frame. Unsure if that is the rumored 40-45 kW version of the current LEAF or the LEAF 2.0 (my guess). Some of the corporate folks at Nissan were grasping at straws to find flaws with the Bolt and there was an air of desperation about their comments. I'm not sure they have anything on the drawing board that will outclass the Bolt. It feels like they are struggling to come up with something that is competitive - and at that they will be touting their experience and history in selling EV's to compensate for lower specs and/or bang for the $$. Just my opinion, and very likely worth exactly what you paid for it :lol: .

DucRider said:
LeftieBiker said:
There will be a few prototypes of an updated LEAF floating around in the July time frame. Unsure if that is the rumored 40-45 kW version of the current LEAF or the LEAF 2.0 (my guess). Some of the corporate folks at Nissan were grasping at straws to find flaws with the Bolt and there was an air of desperation about their comments. I'm not sure they have anything on the drawing board that will outclass the Bolt. It feels like they are struggling to come up with something that is competitive - and at that they will be touting their experience and history in selling EV's to compensate for lower specs and/or bang for the $$. Just my opinion, and very likely worth exactly what you paid for it :lol: .

The current Leaf is comfortable, fast up to 40MPH, and now has a range of over 100 actual miles. This is a pretty big niche. In fact, it was the niche that the Leaf was originally supposed to fill, until it was discovered that the "100 mile range" being touted was more like 70, and that only for the first year. I think the Leaf will continue to sell well enough, especially if the Bolt stays this expensive to lease, and the seats aren't upgraded. Most people don't actually need more than 100 miles of range.

LeftieBiker said:
The current Leaf is comfortable, fast up to 40MPH, and now has a range of over 100 actual miles. This is a pretty big niche. In fact, it was the niche that the Leaf was originally supposed to fill, until it was discovered that the "100 mile range" being touted was more like 70, and that only for the first year. I think the Leaf will continue to sell well enough, especially if the Bolt stays this expensive to lease, and the seats aren't upgraded. Most people don't actually need more than 100 miles of range.

Well, if the Bolt gives you ~240 miles for $38,000, I see a niche for a ~110 mile vehicle at around $26-28,000 (before any incentives). OR monthly leases about half what GM wants for the Bolt (say, around $199/mo). The current LEAF should still sell very well at those prices. I don't think it will be very successful at $33K or higher - people will pay a little more for twice the range.

Heck, *I* am thinking about buying a used LEAF - at $7K-$8K for a low-mileage 3-year-old vehicle I am rather tempted.

Back