I love my Bolt!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said, it took me many years to come tune my ability to tell the slope when driving. Look for my next tip tomorrow.

I am Prius-trained, and I drive every car as if it were a hybrid, usually achieving 10-15% better fuel economy than the EPA estimate.

If I drive the Bolt in this mode an on my normal routes (a little bit of everything), it returns 4.8 mi/kWh, translating into theoretical 288 mi on full battery. I have recorded 5.9 mi/kWh on 40-45 mph, good quality country roads in good weather (translating into 354 mi/battery).

I have been driving a Prius 2 since 2006. I rent cars a lot of cars and get anywhere from 45 mpg to 75 mpg. Total gas to hybrids, had a 2014 EV Rav4 (140 miles to the charge) so I really understand what you are saying. I can say excellent driving to you.

Tip of the day number 2 - Watch your KW/miles average I like to stay between 5 and 7 averaging 6. This is attainable when you take control of your technique and terrain. Learn the roads and your car and watch the KW/Miles try to keep them above 5. You do not have to go 45 MPH all the time but I will explain speed another day.

I kept having the same issue posting pictures, lets see if this works. 330 miles 5.6 KW/M average this trip. I went up two steep hills.

Attachments

• 20170526_210220.jpg
    20170526_210220.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 7,287
Happy Memorial Day - Tip number 3 - Speed is not as much of a factor if you stay at the posted speed limit. It is more important to pay attention to the terrain. I do not exceed 55 mph on interstates and Highways since that is the posted speed limits for Truck and cars with trailers. I still say enjoy the ride, no need to rush whats a head of you will be there tomorrow.

polbear said:
Happy Memorial Day - Tip number 3 - Speed is not as much of a factor if you stay at the posted speed limit. It is more important to pay attention to the terrain. I do not exceed 55 mph on interstates and Highways since that is the posted speed limits for Truck and cars with trailers. I still say enjoy the ride, no need to rush whats a head of you will be there tomorrow.

Except that you aren't staying at the posted speed limit because it doesn't apply to you. You're not driving a truck, or pulling a trailer.

I drove back from Las Vegas over the weekend where the posted speed limit is up to 80 on the I-15. In those areas, most trucks were doing ~70, cars were at 85-90+ (including those pulling trailers). People need to recognize that it's not only speed that kills, it's the difference in speed that matters too. Honestly, driving 25+ mph under the speed limit can get people killed (regardless of who's at fault). In two days of driving, I didn't see one car driving 55 in an 80 zone. Not one.

I joked earlier about hypermiling, but some of us take it too far. This is one of those times. I disagree with Tip #3. Speed is always a factor - both in fuel economy and public safety. There is a balance between squeezing as many miles out of a charge as possible, and being a hazard on the road.

I also get the concept of "enjoy the drive", but I also recognize the difference between two days of travel, or turning it into three days having to pay another $150 in a hotel stay just to save a few bucks on fuel.

I may go the minum speed limit and that is 45 mph throghtout the United States of America on all interstates and highways.

Just so everyone knows the maximum speed on any interstate or highway in California is 65 unless otherwise posted 70 ! Anything in excess of 80 is considered reckless driving. The maximum speed for truckers and cars pulling trailers is 55. These are posted and in the law. The speeding that goes to and from Las Vegas is illegal and the reason for horrific accidents.

That said I am an old man and will drive to protect the environment, it is not about saving fule but saving the world.

Ps- With the traffic going to and from Los Angeles and Las Vegas who could go over 55 Without driving recklessly?

Oilerlord, you sound like any number of people who point at me and say that I am the road hazard for staying within 10% of the posted speed limit. That means I go 71-72 in a 65mph zone (most of the highways in upstate NY). I'm sorry, but I will not be bullied into driving 80-90mph just because "everyone else is doing it". The truth is, not everyone else is doing it. I pass plenty of people driving 72 in a 65. If everyone bought your lie, we'd all drive 80mph and the roads would be far more dangerous than if we all drove 70mph.

And yes, I have driven outside of NY. It's not as different as it's made out to be. The stretch of I-10 from Phoenix to LA is the same deal - driving ~10% over I am not a road hazard. It's the people who are driving 25-30 over that are the hazards.

I agree with you completely! When I was young it was a lot different and a lot less cars on the road. So speeding was different and less dangerous. There is a real issue with the ability of people behind the wheel and their ability to go fast. Especially with their attention on the roads. If someone wants to go fast I feel they can I will just continue to in the slow lane.

PS- Did you know there is a Free level 2 charge in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn in Gloversville, NJ?

GetOffYourGas said:
Oilerlord, you sound like any number of people who point at me and say that I am the road hazard for staying within 10% of the posted speed limit. That means I go 71-72 in a 65mph zone (most of the highways in upstate NY). I'm sorry, but I will not be bullied into driving 80-90mph just because "everyone else is doing it". The truth is, not everyone else is doing it. I pass plenty of people driving 72 in a 65. If everyone bought your lie, we'd all drive 80mph and the roads would be far more dangerous than if we all drove 70mph.

And yes, I have driven outside of NY. It's not as different as it's made out to be. The stretch of I-10 from Phoenix to LA is the same deal - driving ~10% over I am not a road hazard. It's the people who are driving 25-30 over that are the hazards.

If you drive this way, you better be in the right hand lane or you may get a moving violation.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/beat-ticket-book/chapter7-6.html

Any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle pro ceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic mov ing in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of this section.

In plain English, this law means if you're poking along, you had better be in the right-hand or slow lane unless you're preparing to turn left.
The elements of the violation are:

• You drove at a speed "less than the normal speed of traffic," and

You didn't drive "as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb.

Notice these laws say "normal speed of traffic". Nowhere does is say anything about posted speed limits.

I always drive in the slow lanes and only drive in the fast lanes when doing the speed limit. However, when I want to race I go out to the salt flats, care to join me?

PS- I have not gotten a ticket for over 30 years, and I was a stock car driver in Irwindale and Riverside in the 60s and 70s.

polbear said:
I always drive in the slow lanes and only drive in the fast lanes when doing the speed limit. However, when I want to race I go out to the salt flats, care to join me?

PS- I have not gotten a ticket for over 30 years, and I was a stock car driver in Irwindale and Riverside in the 60s and 70s.

Understood. I'm just pointing out that even doing the speed limit in the fast lane can get you a ticket if cars around you are going faster.

Regardless of all the law breakers exceeding the speed limit, and those are the majority in any urban setting, if you go slower than the flow you are increasing the chances of an accident, both to yourself and (more frequently) to others who are forced to make lane changes to go around you.

I'm not saying you don't have the right to drive within compliance, just do it in the slow lanes. It's dog-eat-dog out there. And believe me, it's far more tame in the USA than it is anywhere else.

dandrewk said:
If you drive this way, you better be in the right hand lane or you may get a moving violation.

Rest assured that I always drive in the right lane. If I am passing someone (and I often do, even driving near or at the speed limit), I am very careful not to impede traffic flow. I will absolutely accelerate to 80-90 is that is what traffic is doing, but I quickly get back in the right lane and return to my former speed. More often, though, I just wait for a large enough gap for me to pass and get back over before the traffic catches up to me.

Break-coast-break! The Bolt has amazing regenerative properties! It gets phenomenal milage in traffic especially bumper to bumper traffic. When on city streets and coming to a signal start breaking with the steering torque handel then coast to the signal. Never rush up to a signal then hit your breaks this does allow for regeneration. Never Jack Rabbit Start from a signal it wastes energy and puts undue wear on the tires.

oilerlord said:
There is a balance between squeezing as many miles out of a charge as possible, and being a hazard on the road.
If you are going as fast as the speed limit for other vehicles then you are no more of a hazard than they are.

Personally, my technique is to just find one of those 55mph trucks and tag along behind him. That way people grumble at the truck, not you, and since they'd have to switch lanes anyway to pass the truck I'm not causing anyone any more grief than the truck is.

polbear said:
I agree with you completely! When I was young it was a lot different and a lot less cars on the road. So speeding was different and less dangerous. There is a real issue with the ability of people behind the wheel and their ability to go fast.
I think everyone who drives on the freeway should spend a bit of time watching some of these dashcam accident videos. When you're traveling at high speed it's scary how little it takes for things to go sideways - literally. Just trying to make a lane change to quickly can lead to a total loss of control and cause an instant chain reaction.

Even if you're a competent driver, those videos reinforce how important it is to keep an eye on what other people are doing and to give them a wide berth if it looks like they're in over their heads.

Folks - this thread has suddenly taken a hard right into new territory.

If anyone wishes to have a conversation of high speed (appropriate, or inappropriate, etc), please create a new thread for that. (And it looks like people do want to discuss it!)

This thread is (well, was) about loving the Bolt (and increasing the mileage of the bolt).

Thx.

Thanks! I did not know tip number 2 would do that!
My last post was Tip of the day number 4 break-coast-break

Back