Infotainment and cluster screens

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmatero

Dear Chevrolet,

The center screen must be kept in blue or orange scheme during the day or it's unreadable in even the slightest sun. However, the blue/orange instrument cluster is too bright and distracting. Please consider allowing the themes for each screen to be set individually.

I agree that the infotainment cluster is difficult to use in low light dawn/dusk conditions. I keep my car garaged and apparently the low light in the garage causes the car light sensor to think it's night time and go into night screen mode which is difficult to see in low daylight conditions. Also, when pulling out into light it takes too long to register the daylight condition and adapt.

I would suggest that the infotainment system lighting be adjustable based upon time of day rather than the light sensor, at least as a user option.

igreene said:
I would suggest that the infotainment system lighting be adjustable based upon time of day rather than the light sensor, at least as a user option.
Bad idea when you have to drive through a tunnel.

Sensing the ambient light is the best technique, as long as it's done properly and promptly.

Perhaps the light threshold to switch the instruments to night mode could be different from the light threshold to turn on the headlamps?

Actually, you can set the screens to a black background (night mode). It is in the "edit screen" settings. I did that on day one and resolved this issue.

Rob

robmich said:
Actually, you can set the screens to a black background (night mode). It is in the "edit screen" settings. I did that on day one and resolved this issue.

Rob

That's my preference as well, but it's impossible to read the large screen in that mode during the day with the slightest of sun glare.

jmatero said:
That's my preference as well, but it's impossible to read the large screen in that mode during the day with the slightest of sun glare.

It works fine for me. I live in a pretty sunny location, and almost never have difficulty with this from glare.

I'm in San Jose California and the slightest sun renders the night theme useless and the blue or orange themes look like this:

0F63735E-DEDE-464D-951E-23219AC26E90.JPG

Wonder if some kind of anti-glare screen cover might help?

jmatero said:
I'm in San Jose California and the slightest sun renders the night theme useless and the blue or orange themes look like this:
I'm not trying to cast doubt on your problem, but I wanted to point out that your picture is misleading because it was shot at a very low angle - you can't even see the horizon out the window. So it's not the same point of view that you'd see the screen from when you're actually driving.

SeanNelson said:
jmatero said:
I'm not trying to cast doubt on your problem, but I wanted to point out that your picture is misleading because it was shot at a very low angle - you can't even see the horizon out the window. So it's not the same point of view that you'd see the screen from when you're actually driving.

You're right about the angle of the photo but I can assure you that what you see in the image is exactly what I see from the drivers seat. Entire right side grayed out, barely readable left side.

SeanNelson said:

This is the view from the driver's seat at 9am. From 12-6pm, the whole screen is grayed out no matter what color theme I use.
IMG_0453 copy.jpg
IMG_0452 copy.jpg

jmatero said:
This is the view from the driver's seat at 9am. From 12-6pm, the whole screen is grayed out no matter what color theme I use.
Yeah, that shows exactly what you're dealing with. Would it help to swivel the passenger sun visor to the side?

I sometimes have this issue with the screen on my Garmin GPS in my Prius C, and I end up just holding my hand in whatever position blocks the sunlight from hitting the screen. Fortunately I don't have to actually look at the screen too often so it hasn't been a big problem.

SeanNelson said:
...Fortunately I don't have to actually look at the screen too often so it hasn't been a big problem.
Ah yes, good point. I have learned to control my audio through the steering wheel and driver's side display. The only data I tend to read off that screen is the occasional Energy readout and the map on Android. I did so mostly because I don't want to turn my head to the side while driving as I don't need to create my own blind zones.

I have mine on black (full time night mode) and I really love it. I can't recall ever having any major problem with glare. Often I have wished I could use the dimmer during the day. (You can't unless you cover the sensor on the dash, top, front, center to trick the car into thinking it is night. )

I wonder.... did you take the "plastic" film off your screen that it shipped with?

I didn't. Because guess what? It was a polarizer.
This means it is not only a scratch preventer, it is also a glare preventer.

Those of you with it still on, now you know to leave it on.

gpsman said:
I have mine on black (full time night mode) and I really love it. I can't recall ever having any major problem with glare. Often I have wished I could use the dimmer during the day. (You can't unless you cover the sensor on the dash, top, front, center to trick the car into thinking it is night. )

I wonder.... did you take the "plastic" film off your screen that it shipped with?

I didn't. Because guess what? It was a polarizer.
This means it is not only a scratch preventer, it is also a glare preventer.

Those of you with it still on, now you know to leave it on.

Thank you, I was sure wondering about that.. I didn't know if the plastic film added or removed glare. The other thing I was wondering is what screen protector is best to replace the plastic film.

I can see the plastic being scratched over time, and there were some good glass protectors out there that don't scratch.

gpsman said:
it is also a glare preventer.

I'm skeptical. It seems unlikely GM would make a car that way - needing a removable film to stay on to prevent glare. Does any car manufacturer do that? Do you have hard evidence, or are you just guessing?

My car was delivered without a removable film. I also have no problem with glare on the screen. Wouldn't GM have told its dealers to make sure to leave the film in place, if that was intended? Wouldn't they also want to mention it to customers?

Very surely it was made, attached, and shipped as a scratch preventer.

Either intentionally, or by accident, the plastic film ALSO acts as a polarizer. This is evident when I wear polarized sun glasses and tilt my head. There is a little notch in the plastic where polarizing effect is absent.

-John

phil0909 said:
gpsman said:
it is also a glare preventer.

I'm skeptical. It seems unlikely GM would make a car that way - needing a removable film to stay on to prevent glare. Does any car manufacturer do that? Do you have hard evidence, or are you just guessing?

My car was delivered without a removable film. I also have no problem with glare on the screen. Wouldn't GM have told its dealers to make sure to leave the film in place, if that was intended? Wouldn't they also want to mention it to customers?

Back