Infotainment settings not saving

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also seeing some other settings getting forgotten, in this case it was the passive door lock function (you get out of the car and it locks itself after a few seconds). The LTE hotspot also seems to keep getting turned back on after I shut it off. I figure that will correct itself after the 90 days free service goes away...

I think I have figured out why the Infotainment settings keep getting reset in my Bolt: Keypass/Bluetooth

If you have Keypass setup on your iPhone, the system usually greets you when you turn on the car. I noticed that when it didn't greet me, I had a different set of radio favorites and a different home screen layout. As an experiment, I started up the car, got the greeting message and went to the radio favorites screen. I turned off Bluetooth on the phone and the list of radio presets instantly changed and the radio station I was listening to changed. Turned back on Bluetooth, the phone connected to the system, I got the greet screen and things went back to the way they were. I'm guessing some settings are tied to which phone you are using. Toyota does this in the Highlander's infotainment system as well, but they explicitly tell you that it does that whereas Chevy seems to have neglected to tell us this.

I have not tried deleting the Keypass pairing with my iPhone to verify it's specifically an issue with Keypass, or if it's just a Bluetooth issue. I'll have to try that experiment tomorrow.

devbolt said:
I think I have figured out why the Infotainment settings keep getting reset in my Bolt: Keypass/Bluetooth

If you have Keypass setup on your iPhone, the system usually greets you when you turn on the car. I noticed that when it didn't greet me, I had a different set of radio favorites and a different home screen layout. As an experiment, I started up the car, got the greeting message and went to the radio favorites screen. I turned off Bluetooth on the phone and the list of radio presets instantly changed and the radio station I was listening to changed. Turned back on Bluetooth, the phone connected to the system, I got the greet screen and things went back to the way they were. I'm guessing some settings are tied to which phone you are using. Toyota does this in the Highlander's infotainment system as well, but they explicitly tell you that it does that whereas Chevy seems to have neglected to tell us this.

I have not tried deleting the Keypass pairing with my iPhone to verify it's specifically an issue with Keypass, or if it's just a Bluetooth issue. I'll have to try that experiment tomorrow.

Update: it's definitely an issue with Keypass. And Vehicle settings are definitely linked. I deleted my phone from Keypass and set it up again. When I did that, the display reset it back to using the Sky-Blue motif. I always have it set to using night-mode even during the day. Turn-off Bluetooth off on the phone and the display went back to night-mode. Turn Bluetooth back on and reconnect to the car using Keypass and the display went back to Sky-Blue.

Just turning Bluetooth off/on on your smartphone is not sufficient to test this, you have to make sure the phone is also connecting via Keypass as well. In order to get the phone to connect back via Keypass, I had to be in the myChevrolet app and go to Vehicle Status and pull down to have it refresh the connection. Once I did this it connected and I got the "Welcome" banner and then all my settings would change. Turning off Bluetooth on the phone is the easiest and quickest way to get it to disconnect from Keypass.

A sirius station i was listening to kept jumping back and forth to another station (I did not intercede, it would revert back to my chosen station in a few seconds, but do this every 5 minutes or so, yesterday). My wife says this does not happen to her and she drives it mostly. Maybe my keypass is the only phone configured. The stations in favorites also disappear and reappear.

devbolt said:
devbolt said:

Update: it's definitely an issue with Keypass. And Vehicle settings are definitely linked. I deleted my phone from Keypass and set it up again. When I did that, the display reset it back to using the Sky-Blue motif. I always have it set to using night-mode even during the day. Turn-off Bluetooth off on the phone and the display went back to night-mode. Turn Bluetooth back on and reconnect to the car using Keypass and the display went back to Sky-Blue.

Thank you for figuring this out! I've been having the same issues, and figured there must be a trigger of some kind. There seem to be quite a few infotainment settings linked to this - changes I've made to the sounds balance have reverted, etc.

One of the factors that seems to affect whether the settings revert or not is whether my phone is plugged in and connected via Carplay. That seems to prevent Keypass from working, and settings revert. But if I wait and less the phone connect via bluetooth first, settings are preserved.

Back