Interested (but not an owner obviously)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carney

This forum portion says "owners" but obviously no one is an owner yet. So I don't feel too bad posting!

My plan for some time has been to replace my little sports coupe (Mitsubishi Eclipse) with a Tesla Model 3, and replace my wife's Chrysler Town & Country minivan with a plug-in hybrid Chrysler Pacifica minivan.

But I'm getting interested in getting a Spark EV for myself and a Bolt EV for her for three reasons: cost, availability now, and going all electric.

Cost:

My rough calculations are as follows:
The Model 3 will cost me $35K since I won't get any options, plus by the time it's available for me the tax credit will probably have expired.
I'm guessing the Pacifica e Hybrid will start at $45K, but the tax credit will be available, so I'm counting it at $37,500.
Combined total: $72,500

The Bolt EV will cost me $30,710 (base price plus fast charging option, minus tax credit).
The Spark EV would cost me about $18,495 (MSRP plus fast charging, minus tax credit).
Combined total: $48,495

With Chevy, I'd still get a small sedan to use as an everyday commuter, and a small minivan like family hauler/road tripper, at a huge savings!

I probably don't have enough income tax liability to get the full credit, especially for two credits in one year, so I'd probably lease to get the full credit, then exercise the option to buy after 3 years.

I think this is a much more realistic solution given our family income. I honestly don't know how we'd swing even lease payments, let alone loan payments, for the Model 3 and Pacifica, which would be roughly double.

Availability now:

Tesla is going to give certain reservation holders higher priority: current Tesla owners, Tesla/SpaceX employees, Californians, those who registered early, and those who will get more expensive, higher optioned Model 3s. None of those apply to me. That means more years of waiting, more frustration as I fill up on gasoline every other weekend.

By contrast the Spark EV is available right now.

Going all electric

With the wife's vehicle being a plug in hybrid, the vast majority of miles driven (being everyday local driving) would be electric, but not for the occasional medium distance trips we take, which would be on gasoline. With a Bolt EV, it would be pure electric. The furthest we go is 160 miles to the beach, which on paper the Bolt EV can do non-stop, but realistically with all 4 of us in the vehicle, going on the highway, with luggage, and with the A/C on in the summer, we'd probably need to do a quick charge stop, even if we didn't need to have a bathroom / meal break which we would anyway.

Downside of Chevy:

Size
Both Chevys are much smaller than the vehicles I was planning to get. That creates problems getting the wife to sign off - safety and cargo hauling capacity. Even if she'd OK the Spark EV, she'd probably veto ever having the kids ride in it, which continues the existing ban on them being in my current car. Once in a while, the issue of only one of our two vehicles being available to take a kid or both kids somewhere causes inconvenience.

Doors
Bolt EV lacks minivan sliding doors. I've come round to thinking this isn't as vital as it once was. The kids aren't babies or toddlers anymore, and can climb in on their own instead of having to be lifted into their seats. Also, the car seats they need aren't as big as when they were smaller. But the wife likes her sliding doors.

Coolness
It's much less impressive to have a dinky Spark EV in the driveway or pulling up at the stoplight than a Model 3. Same deal with the Bolt EV vs the Pacifica.

This is a great breakdown

In the end you have to decide whether "coolness" is a factor or quality, practicality and cost are you biggest priorities :D

Sounds like you live in CA, OR or MD (Spark EV states). If you are serious about the Spark EV, time is short. Production has stopped and the inventory on dealer lots is pretty much it. Some dealers may get a few more, but the pipeline is empty.

Re: the cool factor - Spark EV vs Model 3, no question there. Bolt vs minivan? Most would probably pick the Bolt, but my experience is that "cool" is not as high a priority (if this is your wife's vehicle) and the spousal veto may come into play anyway.

Bolt (on paper) will outperform the Spark EV, so might be a better choice if you need the room and safety(?) to use it to haul the kids on occasion.

DucRider said:
Sounds like you live in CA, OR or MD (Spark EV states). If you are serious about the Spark EV, time is short. Production has stopped and the inventory on dealer lots is pretty much it. Some dealers may get a few more, but the pipeline is empty.

Re: the cool factor - Spark EV vs Model 3, no question there. Bolt vs minivan? Most would probably pick the Bolt, but my experience is that "cool" is not as high a priority (if this is your wife's vehicle) and the spousal veto may come into play anyway.

Bolt (on paper) will outperform the Spark EV, so might be a better choice if you need the room and safety(?) to use it to haul the kids on occasion.

Yes, I'm a Marylander.

I had thought the Spark EV supply was going to dry up this fall with the introduction of the Bolt EV. But somewhere else I saw that Spark EV production will continue for at least one year. What have you seen?

Another reason I forgot to mention was that maybe getting both Chevy EVs at once from the same dealer would help me get an even better deal. My father was always a big fan of that approach - getting two or even three cars at the same time.

The $35k probably won't include destination. Count on $36,200 for a Model 3.

I'm considering a Pacifica Hybrid as well but not because it's cool. It's still a minivan, after all.

If you want flash, go for a Tesla. But even that will be short-lived. Before long it will be just another Model 3.

Carney said:
Yes, I'm a Marylander.

I had thought the Spark EV supply was going to dry up this fall with the introduction of the Bolt EV. But somewhere else I saw that Spark EV production will continue for at least one year. What have you seen?

Another reason I forgot to mention was that maybe getting both Chevy EVs at once from the same dealer would help me get an even better deal. My father was always a big fan of that approach - getting two or even three cars at the same time.
Spark EV ended production in August.
http://insideevs.com/2016-chevrolet...u don't buy it at MSRP, someone will shortly.

Back