Leaving Bolt for 3 months

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I will be leaving my Chevy Bolt in my garage unattended for 3 months. Should I leave it plugged in? or unplugged with full charge? Does it need a trickle charger on the 12V battery? What other special instructions are there? I live in warm climate, so cold garage is not an issue but heat may be although I doubt it will ever get over 90 degrees.

I would put a trickle charger on the 12v battery and use Transport Mode, if I was in your situation.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7310

Don't leave it fully charged. Half charge or slightly less would be good. Put the 12 V battery on a "battery tender"

If that is the section that says to leave it at 5% SOC with the 12 volt battery removed or disconnected, that's kind of Nuts. 30-50% SOC and a battery maintainer would be both more prudent and easier.

It's not that hard to read the manual, especially when a link is provided ...

Up to Four Weeks
. Plug in the charge cord.

Four Weeks to 12 Months
. Discharge the high voltage battery until two or three bars remain on the battery range indicator (Battery symbol) on the instrument cluster.
. Do not plug in the charge cord.
. Remove the black negative (−) cable from the 12-volt battery and attach a trickle charger to the battery terminals or keep the 12-volt battery cables connected and trickle charge from the underhood remote positive (+) and negative (−) terminals. See Jump Starting - North America
0 295 for the location of these terminals.

I'd have to agree with Leftie : I'd run the charge (of the main propulsion battery) down to 25-30%, and hook up a (very, VERY low amp and *smart*) trickle charger. I'd also have a friend stop by once a week to make sure the battery tender is running properly, OR get a super cheap ($40, 350 VAC) UPS so that the battery tender never runs out of juice (unless there's week-long power outage). Or both ;) .

katydid17 said:
I will be leaving my Chevy Bolt in my garage unattended for 3 months. Should I leave it plugged in? or unplugged with full charge? Does it need a trickle charger on the 12V battery? What other special instructions are there? I live in warm climate, so cold garage is not an issue but heat may be although I doubt it will ever get over 90 degrees.

You can leave it with me, I'll keep the seat warm for you ;)

Back