Multiple electronic components bad on Bolt with 400 miles

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geowyn

I have posted about the two individual problems (bad communications module, malfunctioning windshield wiper) in separate threads but wanted to ask if others are seeing multiple bad electronic modules on their Bolts. My Bolt has 400 miles on it. Went in to dealer on Tuesday and in response to two specific issues they found two bad modules that need replacing. While coincidence does not mean correlation, it seems surprising that the incidence of bad parts would be so high. (acknowledging that I can't infer probabilities from 1 data point, but if GM is six-sigma then the chances of two bad parts going through QA seems like it ought to be vanishingly small)

Anyone else having problems with the electronics?

Any thoughts about whether there might be a common root cause?

Now that I am finally going to get a loaner, I would rather leave the car in the shop and have them get to the bottom of things rather than waiting for the next problem to surface. I know I sound pessimistic... I do still really like the car, just disappointed to have it in the shop so soon and for so long.

geowyn said:
Now that I am finally going to get a loaner, I would rather leave the car in the shop and have them get to the bottom of things rather than waiting for the next problem to surface. I know I sound pessimistic... I do still really like the car, just disappointed to have it in the shop so soon and for so long.

Sounds like a good plan.

I haven't had any of the problems you've described. Sorry for your poor experience w/your Bolt. Doesn't help you but sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Look up your state's "lemon laws" to see what action you can take to get a replacement car if things aren't finally resolved.

See: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/lemon-law-used-cars-30107.html

Good luck!

Quick update. Still waiting for the parts. Supposedly in by Friday. Glad I have a loaner (since car went in a week ago yesterday). If you have a problem with an electronic component, if my experience is any indicator, you may be in for a wait.

I had a follow up conversation with my service advisor that was helpful. Apparently the Bolt is so new that these particular parts are in short supply in the GM parts system... all of these are going to the assembly line. That means ordering the parts from the supplier directly. Depending on where these parts are manufactured that could be a long haul (e.g. shipping from Asia).

Just for the record... one part (the component that handles the wipers) has apparently arrived. I have been told the other part (to handle the infotainment) won't be in until next week.

Just to close the loop: the remaining part came in and I got the car back today. The problems appear to be resolved. Cautiously optimistic!

Back