Need Chevy Official Statement to install charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverLady

The building code person in my town (NJ) needs an official statement from Chevrolet saying that I do not need to vent my garage in order to charge my Chevy Bolt with a Level II charger. (This is regardless of the charger - they are worried about out-gassing from the car itself). Apparently Tesla says that ventilation is not needed and they want the same statement for this car before they will approve a charger installation in my garage.

Can somebody from Chevrolet please provide this ASAP? Adding venting would be a huge expense that was not anticipated when I bought the Bolt!

Thank you.

SilverLady said:
The building code person in my town (NJ) needs an official statement from Chevrolet saying that I do not need to vent my garage in order to charge my Chevy Bolt with a Level II charger. (This is regardless of the charger - they are worried about out-gassing from the car itself). Apparently Tesla says that ventilation is not needed and they want the same statement for this car before they will approve a charger installation in my garage.

Can somebody from Chevrolet please provide this ASAP? Adding venting would be a huge expense that was not anticipated when I bought the Bolt!

Thank you.
They must think the batteries are Lead-Acid, which do produce hydrogen gas when charging, and if it builds up in an enclosed space, can be a hazard. You should point out that these are sealed lithium-ion batteries, like in a cell-phone or laptop, and those don't require any sort of special venting because they don't outgas.

Ideally you should call Chevrolet Customer Care to open a case and get some sort of official statement. Posting on an online forum probably won't be sufficient to get what you need.

{{ Locking this thread. Reply on the *other* thread on the same subject created by OP today : http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=21022#p21022 }}

And to be crystal clear : CHEVROLET, please provide this info for the customer, in the other thread.

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back